Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a 10" Wagner Ware griddle today in really great shape for $30. Super excited to cook on it. Will post pictures in a while.

edit: Can anyone help me determine how old it might be? Wagnar Ware Sydney -O- 1109E

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Started pre heating a cast iron, walked away and started reading SA. Got to this thread and remembered about that. Twenty minutes later.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

spankmeister posted:

eh it's fine

Yep, just glad it was the cast iron and not an aluminum pan - I've seen those melt to the burner.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Going to be doing some dutch oven cooking this weekend while camping. Looking forward to it!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cooked some bacon in my cast iron skillet and fried eggs in the fat on my cast iron gridde.

Eggs in beacon fat is the best.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Made latkes made out of malanga in my skillet.

Good stuff

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My room mate was soaking my pan... Glad I noticed before I went to bed, going to make bacon in the am

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For making roasts/sauces/soups in a dutch oven, enameled or bear iron?

Thoughts?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Whoops.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00063RWYI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1451626885&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven&th=0

I'm going to make a roast chicken

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Uh oh! I got a 5qt lodge dutch oven as a Christmas gift, and surprise! the seasoning is poo poo and the pan is already rusting.

I've stripped a pan before using the clean cycle on an oven, however I moved somewhere that doesn't have a clean cycle - my oven only gets up to 500. How can I strip off the 'seasoning' it has now so I can reapply, without using a clean setting on an oven?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having a rough time seasoning my dutch oven. The factory coating was poo poo, and rusted when I cooked with it. I stripped it off with the clean cycle method, and re seasoned. I just cooked a chicken and most of the seasoning from the bottom came up. Any suggestions for seasoning a dutch oven specifically? It doesn't get as much use by far as my other pieces. Maybe I'll use it to cook my weekendly bacon for a while.

Could I just scrub it out with steel wool and go for another round of seasoning?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Feel free to toss it into your campfire entirely, it will be fine.

Just be somewhat careful - one time we got a dutch oven glowing cherry and the lid got warped!

In a wood fire.

There was a lot of wood.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went camping, cooked food in a dutch oven over wood coals. Delicious

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife made 'bar-b-que" steak in one of the pans and it just burnt all the sugar to the pan and hosed up the seasoning :(

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I did but the seasoning was thin i na few spots I guess and some rust. Better now but I'm going to put a few coats on it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The organic certification helps it polymerise better. No contaminates!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're anemic you should get and use one, otherwise...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Enameled can get chipped and I don't think they can get as hot as bare

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I think I use a 10 inch pan and it's big enough for most things

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fry some food in it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes if I'm using the oven for something else I'll toss my cast iron in in along with it with a light coat of whatever oil

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was hoping for one of these bad boys but i guy guess I'll have to wait until my birthday

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CAST...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned? I used to have mine very well seasoned but I never cooked anything besides tortillas and eggs on it and eggs stick a lot now. I'd rather not strip it and trying to do a random coat doesn't seem to help

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I use canola/olive/bacon grease.

All of our non stick pans are scratched to poo poo by our retarded roommates. At least they know not to touch my cast iron. :black101:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can the chain link cast iron scrubbers go in the dishwasher

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've got a pretty sweet wife. She got me the lodge cast iron sportsmen's grill for my birthday. I've wanted to get one since I found out it existed. Can't wait to grill some steaks on it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

$35 at Costco I think I'm going to get it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

AmazonBasics has enameled dutch ovens now

E: and apparently a whole pre seasoned cast iron set

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 19, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Found a lodge 7.5 qt enamel dutch oven for $50 at the maxxx but it had a chip in the inside enamel on the lid (not a cooking surface). How bad would that chip be long term?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Between not-at-all and it-will-annoy-you-every-now-and-then-when-you-remember-it's-there

I've been wanting an enamel dutch oven for awhile and it seems like a good price - would you buy?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

7.5 is loving big for cooking alone & depressed tho

I'm pretty sure my wife is real but ig it could be a multi-year psychotic break

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Simmering anything with a lot of liquid can be hard on it, but doesn't mean you can't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just do some more seasoning