Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

When asked what I wanted for Christmas, I mentioned a bigger cast iron, because my 10" is not big enough for steaks after sous vide. I did not comprehend how big 15" really was.

I can sear the whole fuckin' world with this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Finally got to use my 15 inch lodge. One bag of chips, 6 cups of cheese, ground beef, onions, beans, and jalapeños makes for a shitload of nachos.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

A 15" lodge is massive.

It's ridiculous, but I only had a 10" before and searing steaks after sous vide was a pain. I only wish my stove could actually heat this whole thing

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've been trying to strip and reseason an old Dutch oven this weekend and now I hate myself and cast irons and America and cooking oil. Shits all uneven and streaking and gross and dumb.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

my turn in the barrel posted:

How did you strip it?

What oil are you using?

What temp are you seasoning at?

It sounds like too much oil or not w
Enough temp/time.

Two rounds of Easy Off in a trash bag and steel scrubbers, followed by a rub of vinegar

Canola oil

400° F for 30 minutes, then turning off the oven and letting sit for a couple hours

My guess is it needs more stripping on top of whatever else I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble when I could just buy a lodge for like thirty bucks

Edit: I mean c'mon

Friend fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2017

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Cooked shakshuka the other night. RIP my seasoning. Every time I wipe it with a paper towel, more black flakes come off :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have found it is way easier to clean the inside, but oil dripping down the side while cooking might get "seasoned" on and I don't know how hard it is to clean off because I haven't bothered. I'd be nervous about trying to get it super hot for sous vide searing or whatever, but otherwise I think it's an improvement