Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That has never been remotely true in my experience. If I try that, I end up with a haphazard, uneven coating that looks and performs poorly. I've always found you need a really good base seasoning to have a chance.

What are you, Amateur Hour?

You just have an uneven cooking method. Get on my level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Bear iron is probably really good for cooking salmon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Is there such a thing as a portable induction unit that'll handle 15" of cast iron? I'm getting tired of trying (and failing) to deal with hotspots while making bacon or steaks or whatever on the gas burner. You'd think moving things about would be enough :saddowns:

The nuwaves come pretty highly recommended among my circle. I mean, only one person I know owns it, but she loves it. I think hers was a Gold or somesuch. This one here is likely the largest there is. Even so, the heating unit is still only around 9" - and beyond 11" of pan you'll get some moderate to great uneven heating.
https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Titan...P7XP6SHEESAVJTP

Cast Iron will always heat unevenly on an induction if it's larger than the heating area it's resting on - no matter how slowly or long you heat it (within reason). Allclad tri-ply will heat perfectly, pretty much no matter the size differentials.
I think you probably need to buy a commercial unit, or just use your 15 inch pan as like a weird flat wok, where the hot spot is in the middle and the outer edges are variably heated.

With that big of a pan, your burn units are likely way too small. Try heating it up in the oven before you use it on the stovetop. Otherwise, I'm afraid to say size does definitely matter when it comes to your burners.

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on) and lay it across two burners to try and even the heat out.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Good man. :mrapig:

I don't think I've said that word in years.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Since you mention it, does stainless steel in general heat more evenly than cast iron? Might just grab a couple cheaper skillets if so. Look into a griddle cover, too, but I get the feeling that will have the same problem of being unevenly heated :v:

I had bought the 15 incher mostly for bacon, being so long but frankly it's easier to just throw bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet anyway. Bake the bacon, if you like.

I think SS has pretty poor heat distribution - the heat shoots straight through. The layered pans with an aluminium / copper core are much better at even and retained heating.

Honestly, a 15" pan is too huge, imo. That's HEAVY. I wouldn't go past 12. just cut your bacon in half and lay them out. Or the cookie sheet in the oven, which is probably the best way (but takes longer).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have never seen the reason for a chainmail scrubber. Hot water and a normal sponge cleans everything off it.

If you've got a stuck on thing, just boil some water in the pan.

Sorry they gently caress up your property, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Neon Butter was interesting though.

That was the name of my high school prog-rock jazz fusion band.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Enigma posted:

Surely there's a better way?
Rubbing a pan down with salt and oil to clean it is so freaking wasteful. Just use a plastic scrubby sponge - soft on one side and scrubby on the other. Why waste all that salt? Boiling water in the pan is a fantastic way to lift up a lot of poo poo that's been burnt on, though. Good on you for that.

A lot of the pre-seasonings aren't all that great compared to what you can eventually build up to, but even if they are decent, you still need to maintain the pan. Add Oil before you cook anything for a few days, clean it and wipe down with oil afterwards.

Seasoning will start to flake away until it's firmly established on there. Mind you, the flaky bits could very well be just burnt remnants of sausage. Fine to consume.As you see flakes just take a metal spatula and scrape away at it until it's smooth and then reseason.

EIther way, season is an ongoing process of getting it great and then loving up and then getting it even better and then loving up...It's such an easy maintenance, though. Every time you cook you help make the seasoning stronger. Don't worry about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Salt is for seasoning. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Which is what cast iron needs.
If this is you, then absolutely you are right.

Otherwise just use a brush or a sponge. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Friend posted:

Cooked shakshuka the other night. RIP my seasoning. Every time I wipe it with a paper towel, more black flakes come off :negative:

If your seasoning flakes off after a few hours of tomato sauce it was really poo poo seasoning to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's some HD iron right there. You've got some good ones in there.

I really disliked the rough surfaced iron. It's so bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I was getting annoyed with things sticking to the rough spots that developed where things burned on, so I might have been overscrubbing.

I don't wanna wait years. :eng99:

Maybe, maybe not. The next few days/weeks try cooking with a little more oil in the pan. Before that, take a ... gently caress, metal cotton? what do you call that stuff? ... and with light-medium pressure scrub the entire pan, with a little more pressure on the rough patch until it's smoother.

If you still have burned on patches after cooking, boil water in the pan first before scrubbing the gently caress out of it when you clean. it'll help soften up whatever's burned on.
If that rough patch you're talking about is actually really burned on, just get it smooth (don't bother removing it) and let it become part of the season.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 25, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Steel wool? That's what I've been using, yeah. Oh well.

Oky, but don't ever use steel wool while you're cleaning. It's mainly for patch repair jobs. You may have said that earlier, but it's just important to reiterate. I'll use a normal sponge or a plastic bristle dish brush for normal cleaning, or simmer water and lightly scrape it with a metal spatula, or harder with a wooden one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, and if you're scrubbing hard, just let some water simmer in there for an hour or two. Wash it again after that. It doesn't look bad, just dirty.