Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found an old pan (old like 5 years old that I just haven't touched) and I remembered why I haven't used it much. The surface is absolutely terrible, I remember trying to do the "proper" seasoning steps but that's where it ended up, probably because I'm an idiot who didn't know how to use cast iron.

any suggestions how to get it into usable condition? I do have power tools, wire wheels and sanding disks, if necessary :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks both! I did wire wheel it a bunch but it didn't seem to be getting through everything. Turns out I only had 320 grit discs so the sandpaper clogged up pretty quickly. I'll have to get some more later. I think it does show though that the casting was so-so because it's not just rough but there are some significant irregularities like on the bottom-left

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you want like, 40-80 grit max. Harbor freight sells a 24 grit flapper disc but that's probably too extreme for this. That depression certainly exists but it looks like it's maybe half a fingernail thickness deep. I doubt a fried egg or bacon is going to notice that while boiling in oil. I would focus on feathering the depression

Thanks. I don't have a grinder here, only a DA polisher and drill so I used a flat 60-grit disk, like with the velcro on the back. I don't know if that's the reason or it' happened to be a particularly crappy sandpaper but it was pretty tough to sand it down actually, and I didn't get everything completely flat. But as you say, probably good enough as I leveled it a little.

Did 3 coats (4th is in progress) of the way it's described in the Serious Eats article and it looks like this, still very shiny but a bit yellowish. Is this how it's supposed to look, because at this rate it's not getting that properly seasoned black look anytime soon.

My oven maxes out at 220c but it seems to be getting the pan up to at least 200c. This is on the bottom which I just wire-wheeled and is still properly black:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jjack229 posted:

I'm not sure what the Serious Eats method is, but after trying a few methods I have settled on The Field Company using grapeseed oil.
It was this:
I don't have any fancy fats, jut sunflower, olive, butter, and sesame I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you getting smoke? Serious eats may have you using thr wrong oil for just 220c, their site makes my eyes bleed now. Shortening would probably work well.
A bit, but clearly not enough. I just left it on max broiler this time without temperature control and it's getting really spicy now.

Blackening much more after each layer, so I think it's working. Wasting a lot of electricity in the process but we'll see if it's worth it :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ajkalan posted:

A bit avant-garde but nonetheless cool photos of the moon.

I don't think I mentioned it but it's the bottom of the pan as the top was too reflective and not measuring properly. I wirebrushed some crud off it so it's not super even

Aurium posted:

A few years ago I got pan with a fair bit of surface rust. I wire brushed down and did basically that method. It turned golden brown just like yours.

I think I did 4 rounds before I shrugged and just decided to cook on it. I made a grilled cheese sandwich, and the pan almost completely blackened up. The handle still has a bit of the golden brown tint but it's held up fine, and the pan as a whole works well.

After a few more coats at higher temp which got it quit a bit darker, and finally did the first experimental pork chop yesterday. It worked well and didn't seem to stick, though at the end there were some spots that did burn on, the non-reflective bits here:

Sorry this is super dumb but I guess I never used cast iron much and don't want to go through the whole process again for no reason :v: