Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think, just cook on it and that'll go away. My little pan looked like that after I reseasoned it, just hadn't had enough layers build up. From what I gather, Lodge aren't the smoothest of pans to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

If your friend doesn't want to do the salt thing, just wash it with fairy like a normal pan. And take it off the grill, the fire alarm is annoying the neighbors and your gran is trying to sleep!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Olive oil. Pan, high heat, oil, paper towel, upside down in the oven for an hour. 6-7 times until my family threatened to disown me.

There's no way to rebuild the seasoning in the spots where it flaked off? And what caused the flaking to begin with, so that this doesn't repeat?

(I don't really have a large enough kitchen \ energy to juggle two pans, using one for everything makes much more sense)

It's not worth keeping, and you want it to be one solid layer, not overlaid old and new. The flaking is because your original seasoning was weak, and probably because you're not scrubbing it enough so more weak layers are surviving over the top when they shouldn't, adherding to the weak layer and then taking it off with it when it flakes. It's like a thick blob of paint can be chipped or peeled off, when a very thin layer might be harder to remove.

Use lard or flax or sunflower oil, a couple of passes through the oven should be enough to get a thin seasoning, then just cook with it and wash it afterwards until it's good, 6-7 times is probably overkill. It might look like that guys above, kinda orange for a while if you really took it down to bare metal, but it'll darken up as you use it. Take advice on reseasoning from above. v

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Story as old as time. Got the oil on too thick. If you don't want to be annoyed every time you use it, brillo down those high spots and reseason. Make sure the pan is warm (or hot) when you apply the oil as that will let you get it on more thinly. Then wipe it off before it goes in the oven. What you're looking for is a sheen from the oil, but if you can see any depth or streaks or whatever, it's too thick and needs to be wiped before you bake it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

When I used the oven cleaner I left it overnight in the bag and everything just came off in the morning. Well, most of it, and only where it'd been sitting, not on the sides so much. 50+ years of seasoning right there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Do another couple of coats and see how it looks then.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Took my lodge baking-tray, I mean uh, griddle-thing down to base metal using oven cleaner and an orbit sander, and then reseasoned it. It's lived in the oven for a good 5 years and had 2mm+ of seasoning on it. It came off in sheets! Would like to smooth it out properly with an angle grinder at some point, but I don't own one.

It still needs a couple of coats to be non-stick, but it's looking better.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

When I took that one down with the sander, before the oven cleaner, it all came out red like rust, just don't worry about it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It could be that the center is just getting hot enough when you're cooking that it's breaking down the seasoning. But use some elbow grease to scrub off anything that'll come off and just keep adding oil when you cook and it should work out. Scrape with metal tools when cooking, beat that seasoning into submission.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I finally put a nice egg-safe seasoning on the bakestone. :3:

I put it on the stove at full heat (gas, biggest ring) and just kept wiping it with kitchen roll until the kitchen roll disintergrated / the smoke alarm went off. It took about 30-40 minutes of putting a very, very thin layer on, wiping it off and letting it bake until it stopped smoking and then repeating for it to go from silver to black. Watching it change colour with the heat was pretty cool.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Got fed up of branding myself with the end of the skillet when making breads in the oven, and covered the end of it with Sugru. Seems to hold up absolutely fine at 240c.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Kept it in the oven for a good 3 hours today making pizzas for people, and it held up fine. It doesn't make it not-hot, but it's enough that it's not gonna brand you as instantly as the bare iron does, if you touch your arm to it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I looked at those, but making bread we take them in and out of the oven constantly, and I didn't want any risk of it rotating in my hand and dropping it. How secure are they?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That thing is very cool! I've been thinking about getting a waffle iron for a while, but it wouldn't be anything as neat as that. Is the big bit underneath just to catch and diffuse the heat?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

my turn in the barrel posted:

The collar/base/ring etc.. is there to hold the waffle iron above the source of heat and to keep the ball joint connecting the 2 halves together when you flip it over.
[...]

This is super interesting, thanks!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The Sugru has started to go brittle and crack off. Experiment failed!

I got a new toy yesterday, though! £5 off the junk market. It says "Victor" on the bottom and the font/design there looks pretty modern, and cast is more like a lodge-texture, than an older smooth cast, so I don't think it's that old. The wood is chipped under the handle near the pan, but it's very firmly held in place still.

Breakfast was Welsh Cakes! It's kinda thin so even on the lowest heat, the big ring was a bit much. Need to work out what it likes, but I'm gonna try one of the back-rings next time and hope they come out a little less dark.

It's so easy to flip them with the spatula when you're not fighting the edges of the pan!

Edit: Back ring works much better, pancakes for dinner!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 26, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have a vintage enamelled le creuset roasting pan and it's pretty great. Thing is probably at least 30 years old (and about as many kg heavy) and the enamel hasn't broken down yet.

I've had some cheap poo poo where it's broken down within a couple of uses, though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The roasting pan I was talking about has been dropped at some point and has a small crack in it and a chunk taken out of the enamel and it's still ok, if that helps at all. It's not really on the cooking surface though.

It's possible, but I dunno how much it would cost. Most of the time it's fine to just keep using it and just season the iron where it chipped.

On another note, I bought a carbon steel wok yesterday! That's gonna be fun to season!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 2, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Take some pictures?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Does food stick to it? If it's a gas hob then it tends to season differently above where the flames are, and you do get those rings in the center.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Wash it, wire it down to bare metal, and then if you feel like it then sand until smooth and shiny, and then follow any seasoning guide. Once you've got it to bare shiny metal you need to oil and season it right away, because it will start to rust. It might go yellow, and it will smoke out your kitchen, once you've got a couple of layers on it then just keep cooking with it.

You can get it to super smooth and shiny bare metal, but it will make it a little more difficult to get the seasoning to stick, and it can apparently reduce "value" if it's some old and valuable piece. Shrug!

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware
https://unocasa.com/blogs/tips/cast-iron-smooth-vs-rough

Edit: This is a cool video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrBGi63FFo

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 27, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I did say it might go yellow, that happens sometimes if you have a little much oil, maybe. It blackens up as you use it. Just keep cooking with it now, those spots should fill in. Just scrape those off with a metal scraper.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Don't worry about abrasives, just hit it with a brillo pad until it looks smooth and even, then reseason. Probably like ten to twenty minutes of scrubbing. You can also leave it to soak in a sink full of vinegar and water overnight, before you do the scrubbing.

It doesn't even look rusty, just a bit caked on, and still pretty thick in that last picture.

You're not gonna damage it, don't worry. The last time I cleaned mine it was with an orbit sander!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That looks beautiful!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, you gotta preheat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010