Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pubic Lair posted:

If you use a good drying oil like flax or sunflower and follow the technique listed here to apply it you will have a good solid seasoning.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

This comes up from time to time, and it brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.

My two skillets look like the those to the left. I seasoned them a few times over with avocado oil and have since then, just made it a point to cook with them as much as possible. Is that texture eventually going to even out like on the right? Is the right that more stick resistant? Or is this just splitting hairs with cooking aficionados?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Even in this wealthy hipster pro-organic town, not a single bottle of flaxseed oil is in sight. Sunflower oil it is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Reporting in to say that sunflower oil is an excellent substitute of flaxseed if you can't find any of the latter locally. I have a pretty uniform texture on the pan. It does surprisingly well with steak searing. Even more shocking, the seasoning is strong enough to prevent rust if I have the pan remain wet for extended periods, and its handled the occasional acidic cooking ingredients like a champ. I haven't done the coarse salt cleaning routine unless I really screw up, but 99% of the time a wipe down suffices.

I'm a believer now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I used my cast iron to make a buncha dinosaur chicken nuggets at a college party, and everyone complimented my skillet :kiddo:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For reasons id rather not go into, my two skillets were left in the oven set at 500F for 6 hours. I could tell the seasoning on the centers were already cracked. A quick scrub down removed all the cracked seasoning, which leaves a sort of camo-texture season/bare iron pattern on both skillets. Where do I go from here? Strip both pans so the cooking surfaces are bare iron again? Assume i dont have any power tools or existing equipment/materials. What should I pick up from the store that's reasonably cheap/safe?

And no this oven doesnt have a self cleaning cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
just got one of these bad boys again. 12 inch lodge, maybe too big because my bird wrists hurt trying to lift it with one hand.

is the seasoning ritual still "dont overthink it"? I put lard on the pan, then wiped off as much as I could, then baked it in in the oven at 400 for an hour, did that about 4 times. now im cooking with it as much as I can, but im noticing this time around that I have a metallic taste in my mouth after making items on it. Does that eventually go away as the pan gets more seasoned? Starting to be a real downer.