Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I made blackened salmon tonight. Stovetop to oven, baby! The greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The only time I bother to pre-heat my cast iron in the oven is when I plan on using the oven anyway, e.g. sear meat on the stovetop then finish it in the oven. Otherwise it feels like a giant waste of power to heat an entire oven just for a stovetop dish.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Rule of thumb: if you wouldn't put it in your food, don't put it on your pan.

Try taking steel wool or sandpaper to it and see if you can take off the rust. After that, just oil down the parts that were rusty (and are now rust-free) and pop it in the oven to re-season it, or just cook something in oil with it. Honestly, though, if the rust isn't that bad (i.e. surface-level, just a tinge of rusty red) just cook with it a few times and it'll fix itself.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

feelz good man posted:

You know if you eat out at any restaurant there is almost a 100% chance you ate something cooked in an alumimum skillet or pot, right?

He doesn't remember even eating out at the restaurant.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Cool video, cool folks, cool process. Sure, always get paid for your work, especially with all the effort they put into their process.

But it's just a slab of iron we're cooking on here, not designer unobtainium. Sheesh.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Christmas two years ago netted me my first cast iron pan, and to go with it my parents got me a bag of cornmeal, some Crisco, and a cornbread recipe. Those were parts one and two of a three-part gift.

Part three was a fire extinguisher. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys."

I actually asked for it, living without one in the kitchen always made me uneasy.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Go for filet mignon, wrap the sides in bacon, and use the same sear-and-bake process as you would for a steak and revel in its delicious versatility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Huh, I always did that last, never thought to try doing it first. Does it make that much of a difference?