Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I got a 12 inch pan for Christmas to go with my 7 inch pan, and when using a coil burner that is about 9 inches wide I just give it a longer time to heat up and move it around occasionally. If the tops of the sides are hot, then the cooking surface is plenty hot. The maiden voyage was searing a beef brisket for Hannukah (brother in law is Jewish) and it did just fine. Now it lives in the oven because it's loving enormous.

I can't wait to spatchcock a chicken and roast it over some root veggies. I asked for the 12 inch because I tried and love the Alton Brown green bean casserole but the 7 inch just wasn't cutting it and I had to split the recipe between the pan and a corning wear dish. Now it's just one big pan going from stove to oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I vote for frying a whole chicken. Maybe a turkey, I can't tell how deep it is.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I would like to more about the froggy hob cover.
That Dutch oven and lid was a great find.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 29, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, that'll do. (ignore the crust on the egg, I didn't let it cool down enough after turning the heat down so the first side browned a little. Yolk and the other side were perfect.)
Ignore delicious crispies? Never!

Good find!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in my experience that level of histronics is the exclusive domain of hobbyists

professionals would be more likely to actively try to trick each other into ruining poo poo in the dishwasher

Or hand them paper towels that have detergent built into the paper.

They are great for cleaning countertops and not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I might as well ask this again because I’m about to season the grate tonight, probably with either coconut oil or corn oil. Also we may be using solid coconut oil instead of liquid; I don’t know if there’s a difference but please tell me if there is.

Is this Serious Eats article a good resource for cast iron seasoning?
That's a good link, follow their advice and use corn oil. Wipe it down so there's no pooled up oil, then bake / wipe / bake / wipe / you get the idea.

Whenever you use the grill, just wipe it down with an oily paper towel afterwards. No need to use a wire brush if it's seasoned right.