Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a chainmail scrubber, but a soaped steel wool to get the minor crud that a fair boil wont get off works fine for me.

All my pans have a minor crud patch. Which is honestly better then I found them, which was 100% crud coverage. I didn't even know mine were Griswold's until after a bit of grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Friend posted:

Cooked shakshuka the other night. RIP my seasoning. Every time I wipe it with a paper towel, more black flakes come off :negative:

You fool! You shakshuka'd too hard!

(throw it in a fire, that will fix everything)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a grape seed spray and a coconut oil spray that both work great for making and maintaining seasonings. I learned the "light but many layers" seasoning technique after the 'puddles of coconut' thing didnt work out.

It's like painting a room of your house. Light layers, sand between coats.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This thread is just going back and forth about pebbly finishes, complicated seasoning technique, then rubber banding right back to 'IDGAF cook bacon'.

To soothe thread nerves and hypertension brought on by too much bacon, let's take another look at my adorable hammer finish no-name 1. Which is such a cute little thing and it soothes me just to look at.

Mobile posting so have the imgur gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/81aMS

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

my turn in the barrel posted:

Cooks illustrated tested Flax vs Veg oil by putting the pans in the dishwasher.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

I'm imagining someone not getting the memo about this test, seeing the pans approach the dishwasher, and just being absolutely horrified. They thought they worked for a good, respectable company with fine, educated people, people who would never do such a thing. Their entire world view just shattering, like a middle school girl watching PETA euthanize a crate of puppies and kittens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do you have access to a charcoal grill or fire pit? You can make a nice fire, put a grate on top, and season that way. Do parks in Europe have grills? Or is that a weird american thing.

\/\/ you took the time and explained it a lot better then me though. Great minds think alike and all that \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are parks here with little grills for people to use and they almost always look like they've survived decades of nuclear war.

The Picnic Area is a sacred tradition in american parks. No matter where you live, you still have your god given bald eagle crying american right to grill.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Enigma posted:

I have seen them in use, but then again I live in a tourist state. People on long road trips stop for a break/lunch before heading back on the road. Some of the rest stops even have playgrounds.

Now, someone camped out at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere to heat empty cookware - that would be weird.

I have fond memories of highway rest stops. We RV'ed a lot when I was a kid, and overnighting at a rest stop was a cheap way to see America. Heroic driver dad could get us from Long Island to Orlando in two or three hops, so we'd time it so that we'd get out of school early at noon, beat the traffic getting through the Bronx, miss the traffic by DC, and get to this rest stop near Richmond by nighfall. Then it'd be 10 hours to Orlando. But there would always be traffic in Jacksonville going over the stupid bridge that was always under construction, so sometime's we'd just stop in Jacksonville for a night at Hanna Park.

Now we live in Jacksonville. They only just finished that stupid bridge when we moved here, and now they're re-doing half the drat thing. I will never escape I-95 Jacksonville traffic so long as I live.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

WescottF1 posted:

My company's other corporate office is in Jax and we have a guy in our department who volunteered to work the 10a-7p shift regularly just to avoid traffic.

It's not too bad now that I-295 is finished. You can get around the worst of it. But now they're building the new Amazon distros and building new ramps, so yay construction traffic.

But at least we have this beauty.

It kinda looks like a cast iron pan!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that interchange isn't jammed with gridlock in all eight directions; either it's not in atlanta or it's photoshopped or something

... It's in Jacksonville. Which is most notable for the fact that it's not in Georgia. Juuuuust barely.

Charlotte also has a nice turbine interchange. It's sunken, so you're driving in and among the hills there. Drove through that one a few times too, it's pretty.

Back to Cast Iron though, I saw some cute ash-try style pans at the flea market the past sunday, but they were too new for my tastes. Also lol at the sandpaper rough Lodge with caked on seasoning I saw there being sold for 55 bucks. The market is crazy right now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm curious how much that set weighs. Get some pictures for us when you open it!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Huh, that's a hell of a deal you got there. Cook bacon in them! You can always strip the factory finish down and sand them smoother if you have issues.

I'm tempted to sulk into a walmart and see if mine has any.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mosch posted:

I took a few pictures, but it's black on black and pretty much invisible unless you squint really hard.

So far I've tried steel wool, sand paper, a graphic scalpel and a dremel. Nothing. I suppose if even a dremel can't sand it off it's not going to be a problem during normal use.

CAST IT FORTH TO THE FLAMES OF HELL

seriously, is building a fire outside an option?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Light that sucker up, apply wok, and let the fire burn it's self out and cool, remove wok. You will probably need to re-season your wok though, but the goop will definitely be gone.

Just don't do this if there's a threat of rain if you're outside. The wok is going to need some time to slowly cool, and rain will rust it up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.

How much rust? Dremel with a sanding pad, sanding pad, and a dust mask is all I used.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hexigrammus posted:

I look forward to reading about cookware made from recycled Soviet nuclear submarines.

When the soviet union broke up, some Iron Curtain countries had been involved in high level titanium and crazy spacecraft alloy smelting for export back to the USSR. With no one to buy them, they had to turn their crazy expensive alloys into shovels and gardening tools.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

It's a hole halfway through the wall. Didn't intend to imply the sky is falling, just asking if that's something to be concerned about.

Yes, it is ruined forever, send it to me.

Actually, scratch that. Does anyone in the Jacksonville FL area want a decent old no-name cast iron? I have two size 8's, one is an old Griswold and the other is the no-name. The Griswold was a gift/taken out of my grandma's basement and saved from rusty oblivion. it's a slant logo, so probably 1920's-ish. The no name is just a nice 10 1/2 in MADE IN USA. So if anyone wants it, pm me.

I would also ship it if you pay shipping.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Argue posted:

I had about 12 steaks that I sous vided, intending to sear them all in a cast iron pan. The first bunch turned out fine, but the second half of the steaks didn't sear great. After each steak, I waited for the pan to get back up to temp, but it seemed to take longer between each steak, and by the end it didn't seem hot at all, even though there were wisps of smoke coming up. The steaks just sat there not making a sound, and when I tried to deglaze with some stock, it was a big fat nothing, the stock just sat there, just steaming a tiny bit. We had to finish the rest with a blowtorch.

Is this normal? My theory is that the fond from all the steaks insulated the bottom of the pan, but I don't know.

Are you using a gas or electric range?