Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

spankmeister posted:

I cooked some pasta sauce in my hackmann dutch oven and that royally hosed up my seasoning. I cleaned it and put it away but i forgot to wipe it down and now it's rusty.

I fail at cast iron. :saddowns:

Don't worry about it. I've cooked tomatoes and other high acid foods a million times. Just boil water, wash, heat until dry, and oil. Never had a problem. Nothing sticks.

Scrub off the rust, and do it again and keep it oiled.

We usually use a pan that my wife bought in '96 at Target. It was gray, and rough cast. After 18 years of use, I can literally see myself in the black. There are two ways to make a cast iron skillet non-stick: seasoning, or polishing. This one is polished clean by the metal spatula. I also have a bad-rear end skillet for eggs and bacon that is as non-stick as Teflon. I don't treat it any differently than the Target 9", but it has a thick coat of seasoning and no polish at all. I guess that's just what it decided to do.

In short, never worry about it. You can always fix cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I cook using almost entirely cast iron. I do have a non-stick soup pot and a 5 gallon stainless, but otherwise, I prefer the heavier stuff.

I've never had a problem with high acid foods in my favorite large skillet. My wife bought it new, rough cast, and unseasoned gray back in 1996. Just using it has made the cooking surface so smooth that you can see yourself in it. The trick, in my opinion, is boil water in it, no soap, and always dry it on the burner followed by a wipe down of oil or grease. I did have an incident where my father threw it in soapy water and let it soak which caused it to flash rust. Also, the bastard kept letting the dog lick the pan out which also causes flash rust. It comes off easy though.

If you buy an old pan that's rusty, instead of a wire wheel, I use sea salt and lemon juice with a green scrubby. It works pretty well as an electrolytic cleaner. Then follow up with water, heat, and bacon grease.

I don't ever put high acid stuff on my egg/pancake skillet though. That thing is more non-stick than teflon.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What do you consider as high acid stuff?

Tomatoes, and the like.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy found this waffle griddle. Is this something that can be cleaned up without crazy stuff like an electrolysis bath? Haven't seen it in person but that's a lot of rust.

I have one of these but mine uses wood handles. It was made for a flat-top woodstove. Has a nifty base and everything. It's a pain in the rear end to use on a gas stove but I make due.

At any rate, mine looked like this one when I found it at a second hand store. I just used a green scrubby, lemon juice, and sea salt. That stripped the rust just fine. I re-seasoned it by firing it on the stove top with bacon grease.

Then I made a ton of waffles using Crisco. Totally non-stick now.

Tasty, crispy, waffles.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does the oven cleaning cycle tend to put out any smoke or heavy/bad smells? My girlfriend has a cockatoo and they are very sensitive to airborne things due to their respiratory system.

In my experience, yes, it gets smokey if there's a lot of burnt on grease. I've rarely used the self cleaning cycle. In a gas oven, the bottom pan usually comes out so you can clean it and clean the burner as well. I've always just used oven cleaner and elbow grease. The self cleaning cycle takes a long time and the heat is absurd. If you brush against the front of the stove, you'll get burned. Between the kids and the dog, I just don't trust it.