Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorry for the late response. Abundant as in yeah, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of grease. I'm new to this whole skillet thing. I have a 8" lodge cast iron I haven't touched yet as I haven't had a need. I've seasoned it as well as I can before actually cooking with it, I think.

I know this is elementary as gently caress but I'm new to skillets and cooking in general. Just want to make sure because I have a ton of frozen chicken breast that I'm about to cook for a weeks worth of meals. Any advice with the ideal way to cook it using my skillet? Or should I just throw them all in the oven?

Do you guys mind walking me through your routine depending on what you're cooking?

From what I understand

- Warm skillet up
- Apply small bit of oil if it's not well seasoned
- Cook
- Pour grease, if applicable, into trap
- Wipe residue with paper towel
- Scrape (or scrub with soft bristle brush) and wash with warm water what's left in the sink
- Dry with paper towel
- Apply small bit of oil inside and all around skillet and throw it on the burner for a bit? (I have a gas strove, fwiw)

Say I fry 2-4 strips of bacon and I'm in a rush and there's just a small bit of grease. Am I cool to leave it in there? Pour it into a trap and not bother cleaning it? Etc?

Again sorry but I really do need it broken down like this

Warm pan up
Oil or butter, depending
Cook
Let sit until cooled off, maybe next day or whenever
Remove grease with paper towel if there's much of it (there usually isn't, but maybe if bacon)
Wash with hot water, vegetable brush, maybe a bit of soap if it was burgers or otherwise messy
Dry on stove
Rarely: rub with oil and paper towel until paper towel comes off not too black, if it looks like cooking/cleaning hosed up the seasoning
Put away in oven because why not

If I cooked something really non-destructive, like just some onions or something, I'll skip the soap entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cast iron + convection toaster oven reheats things really well.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't cook sauces in general in bare cast iron, but I do prefer enameled cast iron for that over stainless or whatever. I don't think I even have a non-stick pan any more.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Sure, do that. It's leftovers so do whatever you want.

I'm kind of impatient and the skillet can heat up on the stove while the pizza is getting nuked, but the oven takes way longer to heat up enough to melt cheese and crisp the crust. Microwave doesn't have to mean terrible leftover pizza.

This is why they make convection toaster ovens. 10 minutes at 350 in a cast iron skillet makes it worth waiting for.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Staub is good poo poo. A pot like that is only too big if you can't lift it when it's full of ingredients, or it won't fit in your oven.

Now I'm really hungry for paprikash.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like enameled for anything saucy, and bear iron for frying things. No reason you can't use either, though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

i use medium heat and just set the microwave timer so i don't forget...burn less house this way

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

less fuss more bacon

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Steel wool until the rust is gone.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

My rule of thumb: bare iron for frying meats and things, enameled if there's a sauce. Haven't bothered to get a bare iron dutch oven because there's always a sauce when I cook in one, and I don't want to leach all the seasoning into it. Seems like it would affect the flavor and require reseasoning. That's been my experience with sauce in bare iron pans, anyway.

I've only known about enameled cast iron for a couple of years now, and before that I'd have happily used a bare iron dutch oven if I'd had one, just takes a little more maintenance. You can't go really wrong either way.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

This doesn't need to be complicated. I usually let it cool down, wipe excess grease off with paper towel if necessary, wash under hot water with brush and maybe a touch of soap, dry off over heat on stove. If it looks less seasoned than usual, dump a little oil in and rub in with paper towel while heating. Whole thing takes a few minutes.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

red19fire posted:

I have nonstick for the most part, but I’m considering dumping it all for stainless and cast iron, and I heard enameled cast iron has all the benefits with much less maintenance required.

I did this and have no regrets.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Mace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I do just about everything except pasta in either bare or enameled iron these days, whichever is better for the given task.