Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You can also just cook on a factory seasoned pan. A couple months of regular use and your pan will be shiny and very nonstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've found ghee to be wonderful for cast iron. It has a ludicrously high smoke point, the flavor goes with anything, and it even seasons well. It's definitely my most used fat. More to the point, ghee steak is an amazing thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

I used one of those tiny cast iron pans they sell with a single serving cookie mix to cook burger patties.

I use mine to cook a single egg pretty often. Also good for a single biscuit.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

You're all going to laugh at me, but I like my cornbread a little sweet, with corn kernels in there. Cakey, rather than crumbly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Arcsech posted:

A handle snapped off of one of my Lodge cast iron skillets. That doesn't mean it's useless, but it does make it a bit awkward to work with. Anyone have any ideas on what would be best to use it for that would reduce the awkwardness?

Also, I assume I now need to season the site where the handle snapped off to keep it from rusting, right?

Drill a hole in the sides near the top and attach a wire loop.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

You could also use JB weld to stick any old piece of metal on there. Even the old handle!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Lately I've been noticing some brownish-ness where the flat part of my cast iron skillet meets...walls? Is this rust? Do I need one of these stainless steel chainmail scrubbers to clean it?

I've never done a true seasoning of the pan but I use it near-daily for bacon, eggs, steak, and pork chops, and clean it every time with soap, scrubbing it with hard plastic bristle brush and wiping it dry using paper towels. I'm not sure how it could have gotten rusted.

It probably is crusted on food, not rust. You should scrub it while it's hot, preferably with something made of metal. The other advantage to scrubbing while hot is that it dries itself!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I think Alton Brown said he used to flip the pan over and use the other side for eggs for some reason?

The other thing I don't give a poo poo about in my cast iron is tomatoes. Toss 'em right in, stew up a curry with 'em, don't care.

Yep. I don't care what people say it will do to my seasoning, I just treat cast iron like any other pan (except when cleaning, which is a bit different) and cook whatever I want in it. Hasn't seemed to hurt it yet.

People are really paranoid about their iron pans. Just go with the flow. It'll be fine. Worst case scenario involves sticking it in the oven for a while.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

As I understand it, the smoke point of a particular oil doesn't determine how well it seasons (or, more technically, bondsadheres with the cast iron surface via polymerization). According to the most comprehensive cast iron seasoning guide that I know of, free radicals (produced by exceeding an oil's smoke point) enable polymerization in the first place, so something with a high smoke point isn't necessarily preferable.

What you're looking for in a good cast iron seasoning oil is a high proportion of alpha-linolenic acid, which true to its name is found in high concentrations in linseeds. Linseed oil is what woodworkers use to create a protective yet pleasant finish on many woods; I've used it myself. The food-safe version is called flaxseed oil.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 7, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Strip it and season it with shortening (crisco). Olive oil is an odd choice for seasoning to me. I've never heard of using it.

My method is elsewhere in this thread, but I start to heat the pan and once it's warm, wipe it down with some shortening on a paper towel. You just want enough to make it shiny. If you can see any depth to it then you have too much on, wipe off the excess. Put in a 400 degree oven for an hour or two. Let cool, repeat as wanted.

This is what I do, but I use an oven just hot enough to make the oil smoke, and I use whatever cooking oil I have around (usually canola or peanut). Flaxseed is the best, but whatever.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Get enough bacon fat in a pan to pool up when tilted, then heat it up. Once it's quite hot but not smoking, crack an egg into the pooled fat. Cook the egg, continually basting, until it's just done. It's sort of like poaching an egg, but you get bacon flavor and craggy bits. Really delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Gorgar posted:

A pot like that is only too big if you can't lift it when it's full of ingredients,

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/shop-cranes/3-4-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler.html
Too rich for your blood? Try this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/shop-cranes/1-ton-webbing-sling-44847.html

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Three Commandments of Chili
1. If your chili has beans, tomatoes, or any other ingredient, it's still chili.
2. Your chili is stew, whether or not it contains beans, tomatoes, or any other ingredient.
3. Texas bowl of red, Cincinnati chili, and any other style is merely a type of chili. There is no one most authentic chili recipe.

now can we please let it stop here

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I didn't mean to add those beans to your chili. I mean cook that bag of beans with some sausage or ham for some fantastic bean soup to eat with your cornbread.

Oh, good idea. Just trying to cut that nonsense off at the pass, so I overreacted.

Another good pairing with cornbread is corn chowder.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bear iron and enamel are both fine, but make sure not to use pig iron - it corrodes too quickly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

A really thorough seasoning is something you only have to do once, ever. After that, just maintain it and don't abuse it too much, and it'll be on there for the life of the pan. After I wash mine out (which I do while it's still hot), I use a paper towel to apply the tiniest coat of oil, then blast it on high on the stove until it starts smoking. Turn off the heat, then you're done.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Massasoit posted:

Uh oh! I got a 5qt lodge dutch oven as a Christmas gift, and surprise! the seasoning is poo poo and the pan is already rusting.

I've stripped a pan before using the clean cycle on an oven, however I moved somewhere that doesn't have a clean cycle - my oven only gets up to 500. How can I strip off the 'seasoning' it has now so I can reapply, without using a clean setting on an oven?

Soak it in lye or oven cleaner overnight, then give it a rinse in a well ventilated area. From there, reseason as normal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Evidently Lodge has a new line of rust-resistant, dishwasher-safe cast iron only at Macy's:

Mr. Wookums posted:

Lodge has released a new line of cast iron products that are currently only available at Macy's for a year. I guess they cast in an oxygen deprived environment (or maybe pure nitrogen?) which they mention will prevent the thing from rusting and advertises that you can dishwash it. I picked up the 2 burner griddle and it has very large ribbing on the side that takes the burner. Maybe that'll help with the dispersion or is that like their older casts? I can put up pictures at home, it is light for a griddle.

I'd like to pick one up and see if it really is dishwasher safe. I don't see that much benefit for a normal skillet, but it might be nice to get a grill pan. They're a huge pain to clean normally, but if you can just toss it in the dishwasher...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I put bacon in a cold cast iron pan with enough water to almost cover. By the time the water is gone, the fat is rendered and you can get that delicious bacon meat to whatever texture you want. The fat also comes out cleaner this way, so it'll keep from rancidifying longer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The basic theory of seasoning cast iron is that you want to break down oil, which restructures polymers and science happens and you get a shiny black coating that's not actually still oil. It's the same stuff that's on the inside of your oven if you're a slob like me and rarely clean the inside of your oven.

Flaxseed oil works best because of reasons. That link covers the method that I use to season all of my cast iron. It works extremely well and gives an ultra-hard, very nonstick coating. It does take the better part of a day because you have to apply at least six layers, but the results are head and shoulders better than haphazard seasoning unless you're willing to wait years for that perfect result.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Theophany posted:

Quick q: what's the best way to remove crappy seasoning from cast iron? A while back I bought some cast iron skillets and they've got gross burned on oil blobs in parts and areas where there appears to be no seasoning. I spent 15 minutes earlier today aggressively scrubbing with dish soap and a scrubbing brush but got pretty much nowhere. My cast iron dutch oven is my favourite cooking vessel and really want to put these skillets to good use.

Soak it in oven cleaner or lye overnight.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Theophany posted:

Awesome, thanks! Should I be aiming to get any particular lye:water ratio?

One pound of crystals per five gallons of water is the ratio you want to go for - or the equivalent in liquid form, depending on concentration.

It might take longer than overnight, depending on how badly encrusted it is. Apparently some need days :stare:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Molds like that don't require seasoning, unless you want to make burgers shaped like gingerbread house parts

Hamburger House. It rolls off the tongue.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Drifter posted:

Rubbing a pan down with salt and oil to clean it is so freaking wasteful. [...] Why waste all that salt?

What

:psyduck:

salt is literally the cheapest thing in your kitchen. It's cheaper to use salt and a chainmail square than it is to replace plastic scrubbies.

e: also far less wasteful because the ocean is full of salt

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The set weighs about 29lbs altogether. I'm kind of astonished that I cannot turn up a single reference to it online. Not an old eBay listing. Not an random cached image from the distant past. The dutch oven seems almost identical to the photos of this model.

Casting seems okay by my ignorant standards. I could only find one small imperfection anywhere on the set and it was on the outside in a non-crucial place. Unless someone see's something that raises a red flag I guess I'll hang onto them.

Clearly those are of terrible quality and unsafe to use. Send them to me for proper disposal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

So this guy in a local food group has been snapping up all the cast iron and other good cookware from thrift stores, apparently to flip them. Here's what he has. It's a beautiful collection, but man, gently caress that guy, I'm not giving him a dollar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

Question, is it worth getting a new one or are thrift store cast iron pans just fine?

I have one new pan and a bunch of thrift store/craigslist/estate sale/yard sale finds. They're all the same.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

McSpankWich posted:

But the one in the first picture looks wonderful :/

It's definitely fine to cook with, but look at the uneven finish, how there are bright spots. Those spots are unpolymerized oil, and that's what you're trying to avoid when seasoning.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sorry if I offended you BrianBoitano, I was just trying to explain why it wasn't perfect to begin with.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I have a skillet that's almost identical to the 8 inch one you'd like to ID, including the rib cast into the handle. No idea about manufacturer, sorry, but it's a hell of a pan, one of my favorites, and well worth the restoration.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I just realized I can strip cast iron in the wood stove that runs every single day. Time to get to work on my less-used pans!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flaxseed hasn't proven brittle for me at all, and I've been using it for years.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I don't agree with Saint Lopez on everything, and certainly not that. I also think his black bean recipe sucks, and I like my burgers with egg and breadcrumbs and herbs. His tastes don't always align with mine, and that's fine. But he's just straight up wrong on this one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

My first cast iron pan, a 12.5 preseasoned no name brand, arrived today from amazon. I’m loathe to turn into a massive sperg about it, as I have been wont to do with various things in the past, but I also want to know that I’m treating it properly. From the sounds of it, the most important upkeep advice is to wash with water, not scrubbing too hard, and drying immediately. I should cook with peanut or sunflower oil rather than olive oil, and other than that just not worry about it too much? How necessary is the whole ‘dry on the stove over a medium heat and then rub down with oil and heat for another minute or two’ step? Should I do this every time I use it?

I’m mainly planning on using it for steak and meat, and making pizzas.

You can use soap. The popular misconception of soap ruining seasoning dates from the days when soap had lye in it.

I just cook in mine, whatever. I don't think about it too much. I did build a really obsessive seasoning at first, but honestly the factory season is fine. After I'm done cooking, I wash it with soap and water, then I dry it over high heat until most of the water is gone, the carry over heat does the rest. Then I take it off the heat and don't worry about it.

Scrub as hard as you want. Also cook with whatever oil you want. Oh, and do dry immediately, that's a pretty important thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

random question: cool to scrub a seasoned skillet with steel wool? Just do it lightly or?

if it's well seasoned, go for it, the seasoning is harder than steel wool

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mantle posted:

Flax sucks cause it chips off. I use canola on mine.

Your pan actually looks fine other than having a bit too much oil. The objective is to have the oil evaporate in the oven. The less oil you have, the better it will evaporate.

Also I like doing 450 for an hour, or until it's fully evaporated.

Think of initial seasoning as only for preventing rust. Actual cooking seasoning is what makes the pan less-stick.

Kenji says that, but I've never had a problem with flax seasoning chipping.

Do more layers. The initial season is absolutely what makes a pan nonstick.

The oil doesn't evaporate, it polymerizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Questions for those who've had flaking:
1. Did you start on bare silver metal?
2. Did you do thinnest-possible layers by wiping basically dry?
3. Do you use soap when cleaning, such that a paper towel comes off clean after?

It's too bad there's variation in the results. My thought is that it really does make hardest-possible layers, but if they're not well bonded then you're SOL.

For comparison, my answers are yes to all. It's a different style for sure, not nearly everybody's cup of tea, and while it works for me I'd be interested to know if anyone matches exactly and still flakes.

Mine has never flaked, and I answered yes to all three.