Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
90% lean burgers? Even in the bacon grease, I don't know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Aren't there a bunch of issues with aluminium being porous and soap possibly not getting cleaned off all the way? One year in the boy scouts, one of the kids in my troop got pretty bad diarrhea and the adults thought it was because he didn't rinse off his aluminium mess set well enough.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Here is a six minute commercial for whiskey and a 300 dollar (:laffo:) cast iron pan.

(link to their actual website)

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Stop.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I'm with you. Did you see how the female part of the equation had nothing to do with the steak?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

So what does that have to do with your continued insistence that everyone in this thread should stop using cast iron and use aluminium instead?

Also, I meant that the woman in the AB commercial seemed to be a vegetarian. If that is the "gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum" then good for you, I spose.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Made some pan fried red potatoes in my pan today with bacon grease and butter. They were so loving good.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Tyson Tomko posted:

Just wanting to drop in here and say I love cast iron. We recently acquired my mother in laws ancient rear end cast iron pan and it's incredible. It's at least 20% bigger than the one I've had for eons and it makes a monster difference. I can now sear huge pieces of meat on it with no problemo.

Like a few others have said a cheap splatter guard can save you all kinds of cleaning time.

I, for one, enjoy getting splattered with extremely hot grease when trying to cook stuff.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

funkatron3000 posted:

I'm planning on slathering the whole thing in as much bacon grease as I have with crisco filling in the remainder. I've tried flax seed and other oils, but I really think the saturated/hydrogenated oils work best. I've got a 100,000 BTU propane burner I'll use to get the whole thing up to around 450F for 30 minutes to an hour. I bet the heat capacity of all that iron will keep it pretty hot for a long time after.

It's 27" across by 18" tall, definitely big enough for a small to medium sized turkey.

This is going to end in the mother of all Thanksgiving disasters. Exploding turkey fryers ain't got poo poo on funkatron3000.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

holy gently caress, what is going on here?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Showing you why you never toss water on a grease fire. For some program I'd imagine.

If you don't know, you either use a fire extinguisher or use BAKING SODA (not flour) to smother it.

Whatever tv show this is, I want to watch it. It looks like the fire that they start is unstoppable in what looked like a pretty nice kitchen.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Thanks for the replies. Those sleeves are what I use now.

My problem is that I tend to leave them on the pot. I'm not sure if its the screaming hot skillet or just the flames from my gas range snaking up the skillet sides, but they end up getting burnt/falling apart. I'm surprised no one else seems to have this same issue. I guess I'll just need to take the potholders off when I'm not moving the skillet.

Yeah, they fall apart but they're fairly cheap? I think I go through maybe 2-3 a year with using cast iron maybe 3-4 times a week? My parents just gave me like six of them so I don't actually remember how expensive they are.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 16, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Fairly obvious that the prompting q was a troll q, imo.

Everyone loves searing/cooking it in the pan. (is this not true?)

Many folks love baking it and then searing it in a pan (mostly true).

Some folks enjoy the sous-vide approach where they wait a few hours and then sear it (IN CAST IRON!! yay)

---

Ultimately, uhm, yay cast iron.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 8, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FfJ89rGPc

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

I dunno, I could sperg out and season my cast iron skillet so well I could fry an egg in it, or I could just buy a cheapo nonstick skillet for eggs and continue to violently abuse my cast iron.

Tomatoes or acid? gently caress it. Something sticks, steel chore boy. If that fails, wire wheel on an angle grinder. Went clear through the seasoning? gently caress it, it's not like I'm not going to be cooking a pound of bacon in it in the morning anyways. I watched my grandmother clean this skillet with a fistful of dirt and a towel, I can't abuse it harder than that. Just don't soak it, dry it on heat and oil it, and don't stick it in the loving dishwasher, and we're golden.

owns

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Pubic Lair posted:

I got impatient and decided to use that Lodge Dutch Oven after only 2 coats of seasoning.

Paired with a 2 sided lodge griddle I thrifted for $5 and a $20 Victoria Press from amazon.

Flour and Corn because my wife is a demanding jerk.

and some salsa from the salsa thread

This is super awesome. You did a great job seasoning it.

How did the lovely ground beef tacos turn out though? Do you feel like they aided the seasoning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Your seasoning looks great and the transition from a pot you found to something usable owns.

TBH, I didn't mean anything by the ground beef slight.

I apologize for that.