Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

In cleaning some carbonised toast off my relatively new cast iron pan I took off some of the seasoning and exposed bare iron, so I reseasoned it once with a very thin layer of sunflower oil and left it to cool in the oven. When I checked it in the evening it looked fine but the next day the patch I'd been scrubbing at was rusty red.

I intended to do a few more seasons but in the process it made my flat stink of oil and I have my girlfriend's mum staying until the weekend and don't wanna make her suffer too, so I'm planning on doing it once she leaves. What do I need to do to fix it, beyond scrubbing the rusty bit off (will the same scourer I used that initially took the seasoning off be enough to get rid of the rust?) and reseasoning a few times?

Honestly sounds like you have a good idea, that's what I'd do were I you. Not sure what you mean about cool though, my process has been to stick the pan with a very thin layer of oil in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes and then repeat 4 times. There's no cooling between coats or anything so it's quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've started making tortilla's at home and have been using my cast iron skillet as a comal. My problem is that after a half dozen or so the residue starts to burn and stick. I've tried lowering the heat which helps that problem but then the tortillas aren't as nice. Any tips for preventing this from happening? The seasoning usually seems fine, it's just this one application.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I see a lot of seasoning articles for both carbon steel and cast iron mention avoiding lard/animal fats to season, but never any reason compared to say flax. Are animal fats worse to start off with?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I just got a carbon steel pan and I'm having trouble keeping it seasoned. Like I had a nice surface, but when sautéing curry powder coated zucchini today it was getting a little hot so some water in. Go to clean it and half the pan now doesn't have seasoning on it. I've a carbon steel wok so I'm used to the idea that a uniform surface takes a while to build up, but I've never had such a dramatic wipe out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Post pics? When we bought ours, it had a hard slightly waxy coating to prevent oxidation with instructions to scrub it off. That took an inordinate amount of scrubbing until it felt like smooth metal.

I reseasoned it before I could snap a photo. I'll see if it happens again to both photograph it and to give it an ever harder scrub. I would have sworn I got it the first time but maybe not!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

After getting my pan really hot to make tortillas, my seasoning started to really flake, so I think it's time to strip and reseason. When I first got going with cast iron it was about flax oil, but I understand that there might be better oils out there now to put down a base layer. Should I just do basic veg? Any thoughts on the best one to use?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm still a dyed in the wool flax person, and will "no true Scotsman" anyone who reports flaking ever :colbert:

What's the reason then that you think people are getting flaking? Too much applied in one go so the layers aren't run enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Whatever I cook tortillas on my cast iron, I don't love how the skillet looks by the end. I tend to go mid-high heat because that's the best way to get them to puff, but by the end the.paj can be a bit worse for wear.. is the best bet just to oil the pan every few tortillas?