Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I really think bacon is overrated as a seasoning helper. There, I said it.
I think it’s appropriate to start a new cast iron thread.

I’ve been using cast iron for a few years now, and the previous threads were good influences, full of knowledge, that encouraged me to buy my first iron skillet in the first place. I think they all lacked a good OP though, and the OP never updated. I will try to do that with the help of the regulars of these threads.
Before we get to that though, as a novice, I offer what I've learned so far::

It’s cast iron. It’s a metal that’s been used to conquer peoples and forge empires. You’re not going to destroy it on your stove, grill or campfire. You may screw up the seasoning, but chances are, you will only ruin what wasn’t really any real seasoning anyway. Why? Because you don’t wash your pan.

Wash your pan? Yes, wash it. My laymen’s way of explaining is: the fats that stick to the pan, will stick to the pan. A good, quick wash with a thick thistle plastic brush and soap will not take off seasoning. What does come off was not polymerized, and is not seasoning.
I’ve done the whole coarse salt and heat and oil thing, and it works to a point, but seemed to take more time and effort after more uses of the pan. Washing like a normal dish has provided the best results. But, drying is an additional step worth taking.

DO NOT SOAK YOUR PAN, OR LET WATER REST ON IT. Rust is bad, Mmmmkay. After you wash it, dry it well with paper towels. Put it back on the stove over a med-low heat, and let the heat take out the rest of the moisture. Once it’s thoroughly dry, sprinkle a bit of vegetable oil (or oil with a higher smoke point [olive oil is not a good oil for this]), and wipe it all over the pan until it’s just about dry. It’s oil, so you’re are not going to be able to wipe it all out, and that’s the goal. Do the inside, handle and underside; whatever oil you can’t wipe out is the perfect amount to leave. You don’t want to leave excess oil in the pan, because it starts to get sticky and catch dust and what have you. The tiny bit of oil you leave, you want to polymerize. Leave it on the stove until it starts to smoke. Just when it starts to smoke, turn the heat off {this is why I use med-low heat, because you don’t have to be very mindful).

Cast iron retains heat well, but it does not distribute heat well. If you turn your burner on and let your pan sit for ten minutes, some spots will be hotter than others. With my stove, if I left my pan alone I'd have a differential of about 80F at different points. When preheating, I rotate my pan a quarter turn every few minutes0, and suggest that you do the same.

As for the quote at the top, I couldn’t agree more. Bacon is great, but it is not the best thing in the world, health wise or iron wise.

Drifter posted:

Bacon is good, but often has a lot of salt, sugars, and other poo poo that can result in a weaker/softer season that needs to be repaired often-er

Other Basics

If you continually have food sticking and burning to your pan, you probably have the heat too high. Each stove is different; what may be medium heat on my stove could be med-high or greater (or less) on yours. Play with your stove and pan, and find the right temperature.

You don't need to deep fry everything to make your iron non stick. This coincides with my above statement. Heat control is the key. It didn't take much of a seasoning before I could make good sunny side up eggs. It was all about the right temperature and time preheating.

Steaks. Cast iron is a great tool for a indoor steak that I haven't quite learned yet, but hopefully others will spill their brains, and I'll update this.

Burgers Probably the best burgers I've ever had was cooking them in my skillet. Using fresh ground 90/10 meat and grill them in bacon grease (this is why bacon great, but don't tell my cardiologist). I'll use a med-high setting, and move the pan half off the burner. Then, I'll just move the burger from the hot side to the low side (and flip often), repeating until I get a nice, crusty, medium-rare burger.

Same Great Paste posted:

For burgers, I like to follow the advice from http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html

Basically get the pan screaming hot, then press the burger hard BEFORE any of the fat has a chance to turn to liquid. You get an insanely good crust without sacrificing any patty juiciness.

And for fun, here are my irons:
~1930s Griswold
~6 year old Lodge from a local hardware store
I also have a 90+ year old Wapak dutch oven, but it needs to be reseasoned.

There's lots of other stuff I'm sure I missed, so watch for updates or ask questions if you can't find the answer here.

E:

Drifter posted:

net work error posted:
Preheating cast iron in the over rather than a burner, yes or no?

Either, or. Doesn't matter. If you're going to use the oven, that's the way to go, since you'll want it up to temp anyway, but if you're just using the oven to preheat the pan...eh, I'd not bother.

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Paper With Lines posted:

90% lean burgers? Even in the bacon grease, I don't know...

Yea, I swear by it. Beefy, juicy goodness. Get good quality beef though, not just any cheap 90/10.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Nice. Added to the OP.

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 22, 2015

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Caddrel posted:

How did you season it? I freshly seasoned a pan a few weeks ago and it's not nearly as black.

If you stripped it down far enough that it was a shiny silver again, then it'll take longer for it to get black.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

All I know is that looks awesome, and hope it stays together.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Dude, you should make a thread wherever appropriate for woodworking. You said you made cutting boards, and I'd probabky have questions about that. Plus, it looks like you got some cool stuff to show off and talk about.

Or just keep posting here, because its awesome. Id def like to see how that trailer is coming along.

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2015

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

GreaseGunner posted:

I always try to fry fish and chips with my dutch oven but it never comes out right. Probably not the dutch ovens fault though. The only thing I've been able to fry successfully was some chicken and plantains.

Ive had issues also with frying in mine, and i think it stems from getting the oil to hot and not bringing it to temp slowly so it can stabilize. And then crowding the pot.

BraveUlysses posted:

What's wrong with them? I've had good luck making bomb fish tacos in my Dutch oven but I hate the way it makes the house smell

What the gently caress are you doing to make fish tacos with a dutch oven? Im seriously confused.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Yo, for anyone in doubt, that serious eats tortilla pizza is fantastic and quick.

Bonus info: pineapple, ham , and carmelized onions on a pie is effin good so try it. I was apprehensive, but glad i nutted up.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Buy me one too please. Thanks. The 13 incher.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Heating the pan on the stove top and then covering with a lid works as well. Crispy crust, melty cheese, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Amazon had a couple deals going on

preseasoned skillte

enameled dutch oven

Don't know anything about them just thought id share