Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Lobster is amazing when cooked on cast iron with butter. As covered a little in the old thread. I'm curious how fish does and other shellfish like shrimp or crab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Ok so the wife went out today and bought two 12 inch cast iron pans. One has the raised up grill bars on the pan and the other is flat. Anyone have advice for how I should break these brand new pans in with a seasoning?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Drifter posted:

Heat your oven to 4350 F or so and then rub a small amount of oil into your cooled pan, coating it completely, but not leaving any excess oil in there when you're done.

Going to do everything you listed except my oven won't go to 4350 F

Going to need a lava pit or something to get that kind of heat. :)

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Alright guys asking for help again. I made lobster and steak a few nights ago in my two cast iron pans and my wife put them in the dishwasher and 2 days later I discovered them. One has started to rust. Can I just WD-40 both pans and then cook Them and re-season them?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Thanks guys. I wasn't thinking when I said wd40.. lol good advice as always :)

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Crack is cheaper and now carrys the same punishment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Lhet posted:

Had my first cast iron accident. I cooked a bunch of onions with a bit of olive oil, then rinsed the pan off and set it back on the stove on low and ate. A little while later I smelled smoke, and it seems that some of the oil was beginning to burn. There was a thick black crust around the center, so I went and just scrubbed away all the accumulated everything with soap. Now there's still a deep black spot in the center that I couldn't easily scrub away. I gave the whole thing a coat of olive oil so it shouldn't rust for now, but should I try harder to scrub away the center and give it a proper even seasoning or just say fuckit and cook?

Were you using a cutting torch as a heat source or a local volcano lava pit? Dear god....

Time to buy a new pan and use a stove top for hear source