Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Azn Sensation posted:

Sorry, I meant on the pan itself. I am properly storing it in the fridge, but when the oil is rubbed on the pan after cleaning, that's my question.

How often do you use your pan? Once every few months?

Make sure you store your pan in the fridge between cook sessions, too. If you don't, it might turn to dust overnight.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

My first cast iron pan, a 12.5 preseasoned no name brand, arrived today from amazon. I’m loathe to turn into a massive sperg about it, as I have been wont to do with various things in the past, but I also want to know that I’m treating it properly. From the sounds of it, the most important upkeep advice is to wash with water, not scrubbing too hard, and drying immediately. I should cook with peanut or sunflower oil rather than olive oil, and other than that just not worry about it too much? How necessary is the whole ‘dry on the stove over a medium heat and then rub down with oil and heat for another minute or two’ step? Should I do this every time I use it?

I’m mainly planning on using it for steak and meat, and making pizzas.

Just remember that regardless of how poorly or well you treat it, the pan will probably outlive you. One hundred years from now, someone will find it, rusty and hosed up, in a garage sale or antique shop, strip it down, reseason it, and be happily cooking steaks.

Dango Bango posted:

Anyone know where I might get lucky and find a lid for an old Lodge dutch oven? I found one for $15 sans lid at a thrift store and I'm curious if anyone might have any ideas.

Otherwise I've got the dutch oven re-seasoning right now and I can't wait to use it.

You can order them new from Walmart and Amazon, it looks like. May cost you as much as the oven itself!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Nylon pan scrapers are cheap and effective.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I must have done something wrong, it just sat on the kitchen counter for a few days, and when I went to check on it it had rust all over :(

The frying pan I did looks pretty promising, have given it a few rounds of eggs and bacon, and it's not sticking too bad and pretty smooth.

Just looking at your pictures, it's covered in rust prior to seasoning. I've never done a strip and reseason before, but I understand a bare iron pan starts to rust in like... minutes. Don't you need to oil it immediately?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Enameled cast iron doesn't need seasoning, and still gets you the heat retention properties of cast iron plus you can cook up a tomato sauce without worrying about the acidity.

Not really sure how it compares in apples-to-apples usage with regular CI cookware though.

I've cooked a million tomato sauce based things in my cast iron pans and never had a problem. My pebbly surfaced Lodge pans have also become smooth over time. I think the answer is always just cook more bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

My favorite cast iron cleaner is still copper wool. Doesn't scratch the surface, though it can scratch your seasoning if it's not properly polymerized or if there are already bumps.

How do these compare to those hard nylon/plastic pan scrapers? I've got a couple of those that are like giant guitar picks that I've been using for a few years with reasonably satisfactory results. I know people also swear by the chain mail pan cleaners.