Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also, how heavy is that motherfucker?? Awesome find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drifter posted:

A single serving of steak. (land- or water-based)

Pies. Delicious pies. (brownies and cookies and crumbles also count)

Mac & Cheese (the real kind)

Fuckin' Chicken (gently caress yeah)

Fajitas (¡Órale, a guevo!)

Jus' a li'l bit of Cornbread

Dutch babies (cheaper to make than to buy one at an orphanage)

Also make this bread with all sorts of crazy toppings (not just olives and pistachios). It's DEAD simple and super delicious. Also makes an EXCELLENT cast iron pizza/calzone dough!

W@W L@@K!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Butch Cassidy posted:

I eat a slice of cold pizza while waiting for a hot piece to come out of the toaster oven to douse with Louisiana.

I eat a slice of cold pizza while waiting for a slice of pizza to heat in the microwave and then I eat that microwaved slice while waiting for a third slice to heat in the toaster oven. I loving love pizza.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nhilist posted:

Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

Those look really impractical for cooking, but are cool as gently caress. I recommend doing several rounds of seasoning over the entirety of both pieces so they have a nice shine to them, and hanging them on the wall.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been making a no-knead focaccia lately that has its second rise in cast iron that you dump olive oil into. Not only does it create a delicious, crackly crisp bottom on the bread, but every loaf I make only deepens the seasoning on the pan. It's win-win!

(recipe is here; I've never actually made it with olives and pistachios, but every topping I've ever used has been terrific)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

On the nights I cook with my iron griddle pan I usually have something else going in the oven. Is it safe to oil and wipe the pan then put it in the oven as it cools off? I figure that will do as good a job of polymerising the canola/sunflower oil I'm using while not having oiled metal directly on a burner (I have a glass top). The oven is usually cooling from 400-425.

Absolutely, this is what I always do.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

crowtribe posted:

It's come out with this final colour - should I worry? It never started off black but this silver-y colour. It's getting late and I've already eaten, so the plan is to cook some bacon in it tomorrow and wash, dry, reoil and leave it in the morning and then cook dinner. Is this enough of a seasoning or should I give it some more?

Technically speaking, you don't NEED to season your cast iron pan to cook in it. It just makes cooking things easier and the pan itself easier to clean. My pan has built up quite a nice seasoning now, but when I first purchased it (with the rather-poor Lodge pre-seasoning), I just cooked every old thing in it. It takes care of itself.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If you were to cast a 24x24x24" cube of iron, and then CNC it into a cast iron pan, would it have any significant differences from a regular cast iron pan aside from tighter tolerances and a more precise shape?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Biscuit Joiner posted:

What's wrong with Le Creuset? I have three of them and think they are great.

I found this Kickstarter for a company making cast iron pans that are machined and polished like they used to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Currently at $763,436 of their $30,000 goal.

gently caress

How do I convince my wife I need a $100 cast iron pan

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I successfully made rice and salmon in my enameled dutch oven and some asparagus and potatoes in a brand new cast iron pan. Didn't burn myself and didn't leave either in the sink with water.

When I oil and bake the pan afterwards, should I be rubbing oil all over the pan or just the cooking surfaces? And what should I be doing, if anything, with the enameled dutch oven?

EDIT: I looked at my pan again this morning and there are some small rust spots along the curve by the bottom, on the outside :smith:

You can season the whole thing, if you like a nice sheen all over the pan, but I don't bother. Just the cooking surface is enough. As far as the rust, just scrub it off with some steel wool or something and dry it thoroughly. Or gently caress it, leave it on there...it's on the outside, and not gonna harm anything you cook.

With the enameled dutch oven, just wash and dry it like any other dish. You can't season enamel.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need to invest in some steel wool and scrubbers. I'm going to make some bacon tonight on the factory seasoned pan, do I need to put a little bit of oil and let it get hot before the bacon goes on, or will the bacon release enough fat itself?

Put the pan on a burner. Put the cold bacon in the pan. Turn the burner on. Since cast iron takes a while to heat up, fat from the bacon will very slowly render and provide quite enough cooking fat to fry in.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

whatupdet posted:

I found my old, beat up, scratched up and poorly seasoned cast iron pan but my oven doesn't have a self cleaning option, would 550F be sufficient to remove the old seasoning or should I see if my BBQ is big enough to fit my cast iron pan, other option is steel wool and soap?

550 won't cut it. I'd give it a go on the hottest your BBQ will get, let it cool down, rinse, then hit it with steel wool to clean it up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hamburger House. It rolls off the tongue.

That's my idea of a PlayPlace.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

But there would always be traffic in Jacksonville going over the stupid bridge that was always under construction, so sometime's we'd just stop in Jacksonville for a night at Hanna Park.

Haha I got this far and thought "They're still doing construction on that bridge."

Suspect Bucket posted:

Now we live in Jacksonville. They only just finished that stupid bridge when we moved here, and now they're re-doing half the drat thing. I will never escape I-95 Jacksonville traffic so long as I live.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppp

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mosch posted:

I'm an idiot and now my cast iron wok has a small amount of melted polyester near the rim. I tried removing it with steel wool, but it is completely fused to the surface and will not budge. It's at a place the actual food will never touch. What do I do now (Except "Stop being an idiot" and "Throw away your useless polyester oven mitts")? Can I still use it?

Yes you can still use it, but I'd get some sandpaper and sand it away to nothing. Wouldn't want little bits of polyester breaking free and getting into your food.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Just curious, but I am assuming this cast iron is overpriced hipster garbage:

https://anovaculinary.com/the-field-company-8-cast-iron-skillet/?utm_source=Anova+Food+Nerd+Family

A smooth cooking surface doesn't merit a $75 premium over other commercially available (and larger) cast iron skillets, so yes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

red19fire posted:

I have nonstick for the most part, but I’m considering dumping it all for stainless and cast iron, and I heard enameled cast iron has all the benefits with much less maintenance required.

You don't really need to dump it all. Nonstick is pretty much required for eggs unless you use a bunch of oil.

I don't think there's a need to be super extreme one way or another regarding your cookware. I have a collection of both.

Nonstick 10" skillet
Stainless 12" skillet
Cast iron 12" pan
8 qt enameled cast iron dutch oven
Nonstick 6" skillet

All of my pots are stainless.

They all have their uses.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.

Steel wool, or a wire wheel on a rotary tool if it's really bad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

red19fire posted:

This is probably a dumb question but are enameled cast iron pans better or worse than regular cast iron? It says the cooking surface is 'black matte enamel', is that like a nonstick coating? or more similar to raw cast iron?

Not a dumb question; they're neither better nor worse, just different. An enameled coating means they're easier to clean, but it won't develop a seasoning like raw cast iron. They will both heat up pretty much the same since they're both cast iron. I have a regular cast iron pan, but my cast iron dutch oven is enameled. The enamel will also allow you to use whatever acidic ingredients you'd like without the fear of stripping away carefully-built seasoning, since none will develop on it.

I'm probably biased, but I think enamel makes more sense for a cooking vessel like a dutch oven, while raw cast iron is better for a stovetop piece like a pan or skillet where you will probably be in there with a spatula/tongs/etc constantly agitating the food. Enamel can chip if you're not too careful with it. It's not likely, but it can happen depending on the quality of the coating on the piece.

If you're just starting out with cast iron, I'd recommend going with a raw piece first, regardless of what type you get. It'll help familiarize yourself with its heating tendencies, it'll let you learn how to season a piece (protip: just cook with it), and raw cast iron is less expensive, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

X13Fen posted:

Walked past the Le Creuseut store today. Walked in and managed to convince my fiancée we should get a couple

Now to decide between the classic round or an oval pot, and I'm curious to hear what y'all think between the two

I have an 8-qt oval enameled cast iron dutch oven, and if I did it all over again I'd definitely get a round one. For stuff in the oven it's absolutely fine, but when I'm using it on the stovetop, the round area directly under the burner obviously gets hotter than the sides of the oven that aren't over the burner.