Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks like Discovery is doing a North American version (Never Ever Do This At Home), but the original show (Ikke gjør dette hjemme [Don't do this at home]) can be found on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-pUtjBrzQ

this owns so much. too bad it doesnt have subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GreaseGunner posted:

I always try to fry fish and chips with my dutch oven but it never comes out right. Probably not the dutch ovens fault though. The only thing I've been able to fry successfully was some chicken and plantains.

What's wrong with them? I've had good luck making bomb fish tacos in my Dutch oven but I hate the way it makes the house smell

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Ive had issues also with frying in mine, and i think it stems from getting the oil to hot and not bringing it to temp slowly so it can stabilize. And then crowding the pot.

What the gently caress are you doing to make fish tacos with a dutch oven? Im seriously confused.

Frying fish in oil, not the whole taco!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pile of Kittens posted:

I've inherited two cast iron skillets from my deceased father. I found them sitting outside full of rainwater and steel wool because he had wet brain and forgot he was going to scrub and re-season them. Is there a dremel attachment I can use to sand this more quickly without cutting too far into the metal? Should I bother? I guess I should post pictures but I'm lazy.

go get an angle grinder with a wire wheel brush at harbor freight and you'll get it done so much faster than a dremel tool. dremel tools are not good at getting anything done remotely fast.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You need more layers of seasoning--5 bake cycles should be enough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My lodge Dutch oven only gets used for frying. I use an enameled one 99% of the time.

The corners are rounded on the lodge

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want an angle grinder and you can probably find one used for under 20 bucks or new at harbor freight for 15-25 depending on model and if it's on sale.

dremel will take forever to smooth it out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks like every steak anyone ever cooked using the Ducasse method. There's a reason it became a running joke in this forum. Everyone who tried it ruined their steak. You need a 3 inch thick piece of meat if you're gonna attempt it.

and now that so many of us have sous vizzle machines there's really no reason to bother

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a welder? Probably not worth fixing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this looks fantastic, our interchanges are so bad in seattle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
post a pic

i bet you can find a way to scrape it off, do you have a boxcutter knife or an exacto blade?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To add to this: Smooth cooking surfaces are nice, but they can easily be had with a little elbow grease and the right power tools. Several of us here have done it.

did you use a flap wheel? my lodge lost some of the seasoning again and i think I want to just smooth it down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
40 or 80 grit?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i definitely prefer the vintage ones over modern ones, mostly due to the weight being lower and the smoother finish on the inside of the pan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
electrolysis works too, its the least labor intensive way, especially if it's anything that isnt easy to access with a wire wheel or steel wool

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sanding by hand is possible but it will take a long time and probably suck rear end. imo just cook, cook, cook and you'll get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do you mean the bottom as in the side that sits on the burner? Don’t worry about it