Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just cook with the drat thing, it's already seasoned. If you really want to make them non-stick, the best thing is cooking lots of times with oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wd40 kinda scares me, I'd just scrub with steel wool, reseason and cook with it again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You try swinging a cast iron skillet several times and see how long it is before the zombies eat you because you're too tired to lift it again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno but I have leftover pizza might as well try both methods out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feelz good man posted:

You can always test to see if your fry oil is hot enough by testing it with a small handful of ice cubes.

My friend's girlfriend wanted to fry stuff but she left the oil on the heat and walked away then forgot about it. When i arrived the house was filled with smoke and she didn't even know because she was upstairs. I took it outside and set it on the sidewalk to cool off and I figured, why not gently caress around with it? So I threw ice cubes into it on the sidewalk and it was loving VOLCANIC. Like after throwing two ice cubes in there the oil bubbled up so violently that the pot was almost empty after it calmed down

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Get a 4 pound brick, wrap in aluminum foil. There's your grill press.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nhilist posted:

Look what I found today, cast iron...fish? Who cares, they were in ratty shape, but a little tlc and I am going to...do, well something with them. They have to be old as all get out, the handles are cast and attached, bought them at antique store for 12 bucks.

I thought they were shaped like electric guitars at first

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You're fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Also I ran across this show today, and now I really, really want one of these guys' cast irons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChPbdD3zDk

It appears they only sell 9 inch skillets with the long handle, and their 12" skillet is more of a casserole

http://boroughfurnace.com/shop/

For $300 I think I'd rather get a Finex

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Search for flaxseed oil instead, it comes from the same plant, is more appropriate for seasoning and it's easy to find at Whole Foods in refrigerated supplements

It's hard to find online because it needs to be refrigerated

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 30, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, having used vegetable oil and flaxseed, I haven't noticed much difference and I think the real magic is just seasoning constantly over time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey so I got an angle grinder and I'm ready to sand off my cast iron.

Should I go 120 grit or 40 grit?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This isn't about reseasoning, I'm trying to grind the pebbly metal surface to a smooth one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Porter Cable angle grinder is $30 on amazon, sanding flap discs are $10 each at your local hardware store. You can do it yourself for $50 and you'll get to keep a scary machine that screams like a banshee and wants to eat your fingers off

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

This is after the 40 grit, which was actually already pretty smooth. I did a round with 120 grit afterwards to go even smoother. There were visible ridges and scratches, but running my fingernails over them, I couldn't feel them. Good enough I guess.

Currently seasoning in oven. If there's a marked improvement on this 8 inch, I'm going to do the same for my 10 and 12

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 6, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Scrape it with a metal utensil. Anything that comes off easily doesn't deserve to stay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TheQuietWilds posted:

After doing this I found it was a bit more difficult to get the seasoning to stick, but ultimately once it did it was much smoother. If it's a bit harder to season this time, stick with it.

Holy crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq1ZOG1KLy8

I think it's as slick as a brand new Teflon pan.

I think the secret is to not try to rush the seasoning process. Let it cool down slowly in the oven. Don't pile on too much oil each layer.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It shows there's a market for it and means there will probably be more in the future

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdPSPVUVg8

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No, unless you have some sort of torch that can get up to 2800°F

Throw it away. It's dangerous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Think of it this way: is it worth the risk of loving up a repair job you've never done before and having a cast iron pan crack while you're cooking and spilling 400° oil on you because you wanted to get a free $20 pan

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stop complaining about Lodge's pebbly surface, everyone. If you cook with it enough all the bumps get submerged in seasoning

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mainstays is Walmart's house brand BTW.

It's probably fine, but who knows. I'd use'em.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cast iron isn't great at heat distribution, so ironically you might get more even heating on an electric hob than you would on a gas stove.

Rough edges don't affect cooking performance, it's just ugly. If you can't deal with it, borrow an angle grinder and grind it smooth or toss it and get another skillet for $15

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned? I used to have mine very well seasoned but I never cooked anything besides tortillas and eggs on it and eggs stick a lot now. I'd rather not strip it and trying to do a random coat doesn't seem to help

Constantly cooking with oil and fat is the only fool proof seasoning.

Also, make sure you're cooking eggs on medium heat. High heat seems to make eggs stick more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Galvanized metal = absolutely not

Just scrub it down with steel wool

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Galvanized metal toxic when heated very bad

Scrub rusty parts off cast iron with steel wool, reseason, good as new

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bought an angle grinder for $40 and sanded smooth the bottom of my 8" Lodge skillet. And guess what? I decided it wasn't worth it. My 10" Lodge skillet was pebbly but over a couple years it got enough seasoning on it that the bumps were smoothed over and nothing sticks in the first place.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Carbon steel will rust the same too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What carbon steel pans lack in heat storage, they seem to make up for by transmitting heat more directly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I got gifted a griswold

Top has rust

Bottom has more rust

Scrubbed with a non-abrasive sponge and soap, got most of the rust off but there was still some rusty tint to the pan. Oiled and heated:

Can’t see the rust no more. Is that good enough or should I strip it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think the oil is hiding the rust in the last pic. Standard policy is zero rust, right?

I’ll probably do it in winter when it’s not so hot then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wanted to share a small victory. After a decade of seasoning, I cooked Korean bulgogi on my 10” lodge knowing full well the marinade would leave behind a burnt mess the likes of Vladimir Komarov’s corpse. But surprise surprise the burnt mess popped off with a strike from a wooden spoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also in other news Griswold is shockingly light compared to Lodge. 12” lodge is 8lbs, 12” Griswold is 5lbs.

Griswold was starting to stink of oil rancidity. I heated it to 350° and now it smells fine. I suppose maybe last time I used it I must’ve oiled it up and not heated it. Never knew that could be an issue.