Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cast iron is in crisis!!

I have a big lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using regularly and taking good care of for a couple of years now. I've never done any kind of tomato sauce or anything in it before for reasons, but I've read enough poo poo about how it's fine to do in well seasoned cast iron and I've been building up the seasoning long enough that I wasn't too worried about making some shakshuka in it for breakfast. I cleaned the pan right afterwords and loving god drat it I can see speckles of sliver shining through the seasoning across the pan and up the sides. gently caress

The seasoning on it was built on the original Lodge pre-seasoning. Can I reseason on top of what's left or should I just nuke it from orbit first and start fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I made shakshuka for the first time last week. It was delicious. It was also a good excuse to use my biggest frying pan for the first time since it had the misfortune to be sitting for several weeks in the bottom of a cupboard beneath a water leak. Despite being completely stripped/wire brushed/sanded the new seasoning came out fine. I'd just warm it up a bit, make it shiny with oil or Crisco, heat to smoking, then carry on.

I kept doing this to my Lodge pre-seasoned cornbread pan and it works fine now. An heirloom finish takes time.

Yeah I did pretty much this but put a few layers on to be safe. There are no guides in Google re: damage control when you gently caress up the seasoning a little but it's not rusty or anything.

Sometimes for searing steaks I get it as hot as the sun over a huge ring burner on max and I'm thinking I might have crossed the threshold from high heat to clean cycle and harmed the seasoning some time over the summer. Is that possible? If so I need another cast iron skillet because I'm not gonna stop cooking steaks that way

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

My best seasoned pan has had grease fire on top of a too hot camp fire and came out better for it. You'd kill your seasoning either purposefully or by being super negligent and letting it heat up to 800+ degrees for a good period of time on the burner.

800+ is entirely reasonable for a pittsburgh style steak and not negligent at all :colbert: but thats like 10 mins on the heat

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2015

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got a lodge dutch oven whose seasoning constantly gives me poo poo. No matter what I do there are rusty spots high on the inner walls after I cook in it. I cleaned it good and put 3 rounds of additional seasoning on it over the summer to shore it up- not for the first time, either- and the next thing I made in it, a pot of french onion soup spiked with baking soda for browning, took seasoning off the goddamn sides and there's visible rust again. Underneath it all is the factory seasoning, still. I also have a big rear end lodge skillet, which I've cared for in exactly the same way, and it's got a beautiful seasoning that puts up with high temps and acidic sauces no problem. I can't seem to tiptoe around the dutch oven without the seasoning coming off. It's pretty frustrating. Should I nuke the seasoning and start over?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What's the deal with enameled cast iron? I have real cast iron and I love it, then I got a Le creuset for Xmas, and I can't imagine why I'd ever want a dutch oven that's fragile and can't go past 500 degrees. It seems like a solid loss of function compared to lodge in exchange for the extra zero. I'm returning that poo poo. It it just a scam on suburban moms? A tax on people who just have to let it soak in the sink?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

There are cheaper options for enameled cast iron as well (mine's a Tramontina I got for $40; I've had it for over a decade), but if somebody was willing to shell out Le Creuset money for a Christmas gift for me, I wouldn't turn it down.

It's also only 3.5qt, so I'm sure I'll never use it. I can find a better use for the money at williams sonoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got some brandani cast iron pans at TJ maxx a year or two ago, a huge one and a tiny one, and I wish I'd gone back and bought a fuller set because they have become my favorite pans. they have a smooth finish and the huge one is juuuust lightweight enough to toss food and to hold the pan just slightly above the cast iron stove for 3-4 minutes to sear a steak on ultra high without triggering the thermal shutdown on the induction cooktop. I need to make a jig to hold it just above the stove but still in the induction zone