Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I cooked some pasta sauce in my hackmann dutch oven and that royally hosed up my seasoning. I cleaned it and put it away but i forgot to wipe it down and now it's rusty.

I fail at cast iron. :saddowns:

sugars and acids = bad for seasoning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Use a foil 'tent' and cook the pizza on a lower heat so the toppings have time to warm as the crust crisps.

I LOVE using this cast iron reheat method.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Amazon sells a square of chain mail advertised specifically for wiping out cast iron pans. That will tear up whatever DARES to burn on to your pan.

Been using it. it's rad. I use it to clean out non cast iron stuff too (e.g. stainless pots/pans/sink)

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

my cast iron is in crisis!!

I have a big lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using regularly and taking good care of for a couple of years now. I've never done any kind of tomato sauce or anything in it before for reasons, but I've read enough poo poo about how it's fine to do in well seasoned cast iron and I've been building up the seasoning long enough that I wasn't too worried about making some shakshuka in it for breakfast. I cleaned the pan right afterwords and loving god drat it I can see speckles of sliver shining through the seasoning across the pan and up the sides. gently caress

The seasoning on it was built on the original Lodge pre-seasoning. Can I reseason on top of what's left or should I just nuke it from orbit first and start fresh?

I say adopt an all-bacon diet and keep using it.