Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I got an 8" and 12" lodge cast iron skillet. My first question is does your food ever taste metallic-ish and is there any health risks about ingesting metals there? My girlfriend used it initially and I think she left some water in it.

I scrubbed both with some soap and a soft bristle brush and wiped it dry then generously coated it with coconut oil and threw them in the oven at 375 for about 90 minutes. Hopefully that gave it a good seasoning base.

I just cooked a ton of bacon in the 12" one (like 1.5 lbs) I poured all the grease out before it solidified. Then I just wiped it down with some paper towels. It still has a considerable amount of black soot at the bottom. I got some of these scrapers which are pretty great. Should I let it dry more and then just scrape all the soot into a trash can? Just leave it? I should preface by saying I have absolutely poo poo plumbing and can't let any grease and poo poo go down at all.

Curious how you guys handle abundant grease 's all. If you guys have just a tiny bit of grease in there do you just leave it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Drifter posted:

Abundant as in 1/4 cup total, or abundant like you just finished deep frying a turkey? A little grease you should pour it into a container and keep it in the fridge or countertop and scoop the grease out as needed for when you oil up your pan and cook on it.

So long as you don't get past the smoke point of whatever oil or grease you're using it will be mostly down for reuse for a while.

When I cook bacon you can be goddanged sure I'm saving that fat for later.

If you want to throw grease away either pour it into a tin can, cover it/wait for it to solidify and junk it, or put the pan in the fridge for an hour and scoop out the now solid grease into the trash.

Black soot might be normal if it's just the season flaking off, the iron/rust grinding smooth with use, or burned bits of food. It's not bad if you eat that. It's inert.

I'd scrape out the stuff that can be scraped out with minimal effort, and then leave the rest to be removed during cleaning/wipings after use.

Sorry for the late response. Abundant as in yeah, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of grease. I'm new to this whole skillet thing. I have a 8" lodge cast iron I haven't touched yet as I haven't had a need. I've seasoned it as well as I can before actually cooking with it, I think.

I know this is elementary as gently caress but I'm new to skillets and cooking in general. Just want to make sure because I have a ton of frozen chicken breast that I'm about to cook for a weeks worth of meals. Any advice with the ideal way to cook it using my skillet? Or should I just throw them all in the oven?

Do you guys mind walking me through your routine depending on what you're cooking?

From what I understand

- Warm skillet up
- Apply small bit of oil if it's not well seasoned
- Cook
- Pour grease, if applicable, into trap
- Wipe residue with paper towel
- Scrape (or scrub with soft bristle brush) and wash with warm water what's left in the sink
- Dry with paper towel
- Apply small bit of oil inside and all around skillet and throw it on the burner for a bit? (I have a gas strove, fwiw)

Say I fry 2-4 strips of bacon and I'm in a rush and there's just a small bit of grease. Am I cool to leave it in there? Pour it into a trap and not bother cleaning it? Etc?

Again sorry but I really do need it broken down like this

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

10" Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet $15 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/147723

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ove gloves or silicone gloves

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ex did everything in her power to not have to use the skillets. Even though I'd explained to her a bunch of times how to use them. She put a cover when she was making pasta in another pot on my skillet and

No wonder she's my ex :colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 30, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I didn't notice for 2 days :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone use one of these cast-iron grill pressses? Find yourself using it much? I have a 8" and 12" skillet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I16RW1LK5L05XM&psc=1

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I just ordered this bad boy

Progressive International Stainless Steel Splatter Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MR0TA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_v6rsvb1E9Q1CG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MR0TA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_v6rsvb1E9Q1CG

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I kind of get a high off that quick bacon splatter burn. Reminds me I'm alive y'know?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone got some dish soap and a scrub brush? This skillet is apparently over 100 years old, it’s like a Teflon non-stick surface!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So what’s the consensus on cast irons actually leeching iron into our food etc? Minimal at best?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry I should have prefaced about the iron leeching. I swear by my skillets and love them. I had always assumed maybe you got a tiny bit of iron when cooking with a skillet, and then of course some people use the iron fish

On fb a health minded individual had posted an article about just how bad Teflon and the likes really is. Ah hell might as well post the article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/how-the-epa-and-the-pentagon-downplayed-a-growing-toxic-threat.html

Everyone was tripping over themselves to recommend skillets, but he had mentioned he uses stainless because he has too much iron due to health reasons and while leeching was minimal at best acidic foods can worsen it. So, pretty much in line with what was already said here!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 23, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What do you all prefer for deep scrubbing something like burnt eggs? I have the nice official lodge scrub with the nice wooden handle. It works great for a risne/wipe down but the bristles are far too soft

Brillo pad?
Green pad?
Vegetable brush?
Steel wool?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

random question: cool to scrub a seasoned skillet with steel wool? Just do it lightly or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

so what's with these enamel cast iron skillets I see now. Is that the new hotness? Anyone bothered to get rid of their regular cast iron for one? I noticed since people are moving away from teflon a lot of new non-stick options have been coming out, arguably a bit faddish? Costco always has some new latest and greatest pan and someone doing a cooking demo. Some of them just straight up look like granite. Steel always seems like the overall safe bet but is it possible to use those and not burn crud to the pan? Like drat.

I know this is the cast-iron thread but has anyone been swayed or impressed by the newer options they've seen?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

if it's well seasoned, go for it, the seasoning is harder than steel wool

BrianBoitano posted:

If you're concerned, they sell copper wool in most supermarkets, which is softer than steel wool but tougher than brillo.

I am a tiny bit concerned, though, since mine appears to be ferromagnetic, but it hasn't caused me any problems.

Thanks! didn't know copper wool was a thing. Honestly I'd get by just fine with a brillo green pad most likely, just didn't have any lying around at the time but I should. Probably gonna order some "copper cloths" as well. Also forgot to say thanks for all the tips above for cleaning crud! I know there's not just one science to it, was curious what others were doing.