Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shankerz posted:

Lobster is amazing when cooked on cast iron with butter. As covered a little in the old thread. I'm curious how fish does and other shellfish like shrimp or crab?
I did giant scallops not long ago. Chopped up some bacon, browned that, put the scallops in, then added a touch of butter for finishing flavor. They turned out great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hello darling.

Perfect size for pot pie.
Is that the same pan? It's fuckin' beautiful.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I just finished a 4lb boneless lamb leg in the 10" Lodge (fit perfectly) and have rosemary potatoes done in the drippings. Oh my. The house smells so good right now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Oh man, that sounds amazing. I've been craving lamb for about three weeks, but the wife doesn't like it. I might have to manufacture a reason for a get together just so I can make this. Invite someone that will insist on having lamb.
Yeah lamb isn't very popular these days. The only other person I know who likes it is my mother. I guess we're all just used to bland corn-fed meats, most people don't like game either because it has some kind of flavor.

It turned out delicious, BTW :yum:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GreaseGunner posted:

Yeah I always used a fry/candy thermometer but it was old so I don't know how accurate it could have been. My oven always seemed to cook things way too hot anyway. The fish would always come out way too oily along with the fries, but when I did the same recipe with an actual fryer and the same oil they came out fine.
If it's oily that's generally an indication it wasn't hot enough. The magic of proper deep frying occurs when steam is released from the thing being cooked, which keeps it from soaking in. It's why fries and the like are kept frozen and put into the fryer that way. Try battering your fish and then putting it back in the freezer overnight.

Don't do this with a turkey, though :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If you happen to be in or around New York City and have some cash to spend, Somebody's selling off a crapload of vintage Griswold cast iron goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stalizard posted:

That's great news! I can do that this weekend, outdoors!

Another thing is I just now noticed it has a big obvious repair around the handle, probably why it was so cheap! Can I just season over this and get on with my life? Anything I gotta worry about from a food safety standpoint? Does it depend on if it was welded or brazed or other (is there an "other" here?)

I'm hoping I can just blast it over the grill this weekend, reseason as normal and get on with my life!
The handle won't (well, shouldn't) be coming into contact with your food. The safety issue would be if you were lifting it with something heavy inside and the handle broke, dropping a several-pound + food immensely hot object onto you/your floor/pets/whatever. I'm sure it'd be fine for pancakes or eggs type stuff, but I'd probably avoid using it for heavier things.