Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

7.5 is loving big for cooking alone & depressed tho

Meal prep + freeze leftovers
Share with people
Eat a lot of food...

So many options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Alrighty, my parents just gave me a Wagnerware No. 8. It's... well an interesting piece. It's thinner than my Lodge skillets, and it seems like someone tried to smooth it out at some point. It had some light surface rust and the swirls in the bottom make it look like someone tried to refinish it / polish it up at some point in it's life.

Two things:
1) Anything in particular I should be aware of? My Lodge skillets are new-ish, maybe 10 years old, but they're mine and replaceable. I give no fucks about throwing them on a burner set to high, a hot grill, hot oven, whatever. I don't abuse them, but I don't think twice about... well really anything with them. They're workhorses. This one is a good deal lighter / thinner feeling. Anything I might want to be aware of, like not using on high heat or watching the oven temp?

Right now it's got a light coat of vegetable oil and is baking in a 450F oven for an hour. I preheated it on the stove and put it in the oven (upside down) while it finished preheating up to 450F.... which leads me to my next question.

2) What's the best oil for seasoning this thing? Vegetable oil is fine, it's what I have and use, but I thought about trying something else since this pan semi-qualifies as an antique. Lots of people are saying other oils are more durable and such, so... what's the best? I looked the other night at the store, and Flaxseed, Rapeseed (Or Grapeseed? I forget) and others are all around the same price (9-12 bucks), so it's not a huge expense. But, it'd only be used for this so I want something good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hm. I'll go for grapeseed and see what happens. I've thrown a couple coats of vegetable oil on there just to keep the rust at bay and that's taken to it really well.

But since I've got another one in rotation now, I might play with some different oils now.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, odd question. I have put a couple coats of vegetable oil on this new skillet and now it has a reddish orange to it. Is that normal or is there rust lurking under that seasoning somehow? I was pretty sure I got it all off, but now I'm not sure.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nope. Not gummy at all and feels pretty slick. Would a different impurities in the metal itself cause that? I've only ever dealt with Lodge cast iron.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
When I got it, there was some light rust on it, so I gave it a thorough scrub and got it all off. Dried out, put a thin coat of vegetable oil on there and put it in a 425F oven for an hour, then cut the oven off and let it cool in there. I did subsequent coats the same way, but at 375F for an hour.

I've never done a seasoning from bare iron before, so maybe this is just part of the process?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I hit it with soap and water and steel wool. I also give no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use mine all the time. I've not touched my Lodge skillets in forever.