Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, a glorious new cast iron pan thread! Hell yes. I was sad to see the old one get deleted in some infernal clean up scheme. I'd never had bought cast iron if it weren't for that old thread. We have some fancy pants SS copper core pans, but still do 99% of our cooking in one of two cast iron skillets.

My 12" cast iron skillet from the original thread has got to be near 15 years old and looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it.

Glorious thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We got two of those lodge branded silicone handle covers, in red and purple, has been a pretty great quality of life improvement, plus makes telling them apart a snap

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mostly deal with liquids which are evenly distributed...

Wanders over to oven at 2am during Netflix...

P123 skillet, could not rotate it 90 degrees sitting on a flat surface

Standard 12" lodge skillet, rotates 90 degrees under pressure

I've had them on for nearly 5 years, never questioned the rotational qualities. I suspect pizza would be safe. The width of the handle appears to have the largest impact.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with your solution, I had no idea that stuff was heat resistant, and it sure looks a hell of a lot better than my stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The correct way to season a pan is

1) buy new
2) scrub it good, but don't work up a sweat doing it
3) wait until sunday morning
4) make the whole family breakfast tacos using jimmy dean hot sausage
5) use pan for 100 years
6) deed pan to favorite grandchild

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

In this mode it works pretty well, though you can see from the burn marks in the above pic that it can get heated unevenly:

Maybe it's a bad photo but a long time ago I worked where we had a commercial panini press and that looks at least as even as any sandwich I ever made. Depending on placement of ingredients (particularly tomatoes and cucumbers) some areas have more or less water content than others which impacts the temp of the bread slightly

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pic of the residue? I just hit my pan with a sharp, straight edge burger flipper to knock any crusties off, hit it with a tiny bit of oil and put it away. The only time I need to get it super smooth is when making eggs and usually they go in after the sausage so everything is lubed up ready to go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought one of these for $8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009LN4832

It's a burger flipper with a machined edge. I use it to knock down high spots of carbon deposits. Then paper towel in about a tablespoon of olive oil

If you have a 5" grinder with flapper disc you can take that thing down to bare metal in about 30 seconds and start over from scratch

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you want like, 40-80 grit max. Harbor freight sells a 24 grit flapper disc but that's probably too extreme for this. That depression certainly exists but it looks like it's maybe half a fingernail thickness deep. I doubt a fried egg or bacon is going to notice that while boiling in oil. I would focus on feathering the depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

#1 post a photo of the end of the handle, not convinced the handle is supposed to screw on. without knowing the attachment method it's hard to know what you could replace it with
#2 if you got it off, what would you want it to look like