Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
what have I done to my pan here? strange spot in the middle that oil beads on and slides off of like it's teflon

I have been trying to rehabilitate my friend's gummy cast iron and there is a patch with similar properties on the exterior — an oiled paper towel leaves a uniform matte darker finish everywhere except the patch, where oil beads

[X-Files theme] :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
my understanding is that "non-stick" surfaces like well-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel will never be as foolproof as chemical non-stick pans. you still need a bit of oil, and everything else is down to technique. even then, scrambled eggs seems like the ultimate test of a cast-iron or carbon-steel pan's non-stick properties, so a pan you just seasoned yesterday is probably still going to disappoint you

I'm afraid I don't have great advice for scrambled egg technique on carbon steel, but I think if you treat the egg more like an omelet and let it set before trying to move it, that will help — my omelets are probably too rubbery for most folks, but that is what has worked for me in my cast iron pan in the past. in my limited experience, making fluffy, undercooked egg curds in carbon steel or cast iron without a little bit of a mess to clean up afterwards seems out of the question

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

just got one of these bad boys again. 12 inch lodge, maybe too big because my bird wrists hurt trying to lift it with one hand.

is the seasoning ritual still "dont overthink it"? I put lard on the pan, then wiped off as much as I could, then baked it in in the oven at 400 for an hour, did that about 4 times. now im cooking with it as much as I can, but im noticing this time around that I have a metallic taste in my mouth after making items on it. Does that eventually go away as the pan gets more seasoned? Starting to be a real downer.

I heat it to 300°F before greasing it and wiping it dry (use oven mitts and rags you don't mind abusing and be careful (can anyone tell me if preheating is really necessary?)) then leave it at 500°F for an hour to give the residual grease a chance to burn off and polymerize (and let it cool in the oven overnight). 400°F is not hot enough. I'm not a chemist, but I think I've read that lard performs worse when seasoning a pan compared to vegetable oil; nevertheless, any grease should work over time

if you are cooking anything acidic, that might explain the metallic taste

happy thanksgiving to all who observe