Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just pick your pan up to move it instead of sliding it around and you should be fine. My current apartment has one too, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

If I'm doing something like the Kenji butter-basted steak I just give up and do it on my brewing burner outside.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Literally looks like a WWII naval mine.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

atothesquiz posted:

The thicker the steak, the better the reverse sear method is. With this method you wont end up with a rainbow of doneness through the steak.

So if you have a relatively normal cut of meat, either way is fine, but once you start getting into the 2" thick cuts, reverse is the way to go.

Or if you want to go really decadent, baste them with butter while they cook.

Do not do this inside, you will set off every smoke detector in your house.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Unless it's an industrial strength fume extractor you're still going to be smoking up the kitchen when you do a good sear. Whenever I do Kenji's pan seared porterhouse recipe I just throw my skillet on the propane burner I use for brewing so I don't have to worry about the smoke and grease splatters.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Made Kenji's pan pizza. I've made plenty of neapolitan in an actual pizza oven before, but this was my first time making pizza in cast iron. Came out pretty drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Crazyeyes posted:

That is some hella good looking crust.

Beauty of doing it in cast iron: crust wasn't totally done on the bottom when the toppings were, so I just tossed it on a burner for a few minutes after I pulled it from the oven.