Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah thirding oil + heat before any food touches.

If your first cook step is chorizo on an empty pan, a thin layer of pork will bind to the pan. After removing most of the cooked chorizo, the thin layer remains and is basically velcro for whatever you cook next.

So even if you are cooking something that gives off fat, that process is too slow to protect the pan from the very first fond forming. Always give a very thin layer of oil or saved grease from last time first and you'll be golden!

A spatula with a sharp-ish metal edge comes in handy if you muck this part up.

I also went through the same process of getting sick of throwing out nonstick pans and use carbon steel as much as possible now, but I do still have one that I bust out for really sticky reductions or delicate fish or whatever. The trick to making them last as long as possible is to only use silicone-coated utensils on them and just wipe them out with a paper towel or something when you clean them--metal utensils are an obvious no-no, but even wooden spoons and so on will still scrape off the coating over time, as will many brushes. Also, don't stack anything on top of them in the sink and put a kitchen towel in them for a cushion if you do stack them in the cupboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU