Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We bought a set of ceramic-compatible stainless steel pots to go with the new ceramic cooktop we bought five or six years ago. My cast iron isn't allowed near it. We've always lifted instead of sliding. Despite that the main burner has developed circular scratches, apparently rotating pots slightly is enough to cause scratching.

At this point I'm with Mr. Wookums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I've heard that before in remote camps - cook didn't rinse the dishes properly so the crew got the runs from the dish soap. More likely it was giardia or some low grade food poisoning bug.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's an optical illusion.

I'm basing this on a cutting torch leaving more slag.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

That's impressive. (All of the above - grease fire, electrolysis and pan collection.) The lettering seems a lot sharper after electrolysis than other cleaning methods.

I get a similar feeling looking at my nesting stack of 5"-16" skillets and assorted sauce pans and dutch ovens. It's not like a set of wrenches where you need a precise size for the job at hand.

ON THE OTHER HAND....

I still need/want a rectangular skillet for tamago (Japanese scrambled eggs) and a stove top waffle iron. It's a disease, I tell ya.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Boiling a baking soda solution has worked well for me, at least on fresh stains.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

my cast iron is in crisis!!

I have a big lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using regularly and taking good care of for a couple of years now. I've never done any kind of tomato sauce or anything in it before for reasons, but I've read enough poo poo about how it's fine to do in well seasoned cast iron and I've been building up the seasoning long enough that I wasn't too worried about making some shakshuka in it for breakfast. I cleaned the pan right afterwords and loving god drat it I can see speckles of sliver shining through the seasoning across the pan and up the sides. gently caress

The seasoning on it was built on the original Lodge pre-seasoning. Can I reseason on top of what's left or should I just nuke it from orbit first and start fresh?

I made shakshuka for the first time last week. It was delicious. It was also a good excuse to use my biggest frying pan for the first time since it had the misfortune to be sitting for several weeks in the bottom of a cupboard beneath a water leak. Despite being completely stripped/wire brushed/sanded the new seasoning came out fine. I'd just warm it up a bit, make it shiny with oil or Crisco, heat to smoking, then carry on.

I kept doing this to my Lodge pre-seasoned cornbread pan and it works fine now. An heirloom finish takes time.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

That is so cute.

Funny how the machining grooves in old North American Wagner and Griswold pieces are taken as a sign of quality while machined Taiwan pieces from the 70s and 80s are ignored. All of my Taiwanese pans except for the Dutch Oven have wood handles which limits their use. I'm jealous you have one with a conventional cast handle.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I dug out my cast iron skillet for the first time since moving a few months ago and when I got done using it the entire bottom was bare iron on both sides. All I did was brown off some ground beef and dump some cans of tomato sauce + spices for a quick spaghetti dinner. How did I gently caress up the seasoning so bad?

WTF? I cook shakshuka (tomato/pepper sauce simmered for an hour and a half) once a week with no problems.

Both sides? Something's not right. Can you post pictures?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy found this waffle griddle. Is this something that can be cleaned up without crazy stuff like an electrolysis bath? Haven't seen it in person but that's a lot of rust.

That's not actually that bad. Vinegar and steel wool should be fine, or any of the other above recommendations.

I'm so jealous. Been looking for one of those for ages.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

What Biscuit Joiner joiner said. You`ll need to go after that rust with something abrasive. Vinegar might help but that rust will need to be scrubbed off with wire brushes, sand paper, steel wool, or green scrubbing pads. Dry and oil immediately or you`ll see where the name `flash rust` comes from.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

my turn in the barrel posted:

I found a somewhat weird piece of cast iron yesterday at a junk shop. $10. Needs to be seasoned as it's never been used.

My wife is an early childhood/special needs teacher. We have a couple of those that get dusted off every year for the kids to crank out yet another Christmas condo development.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

You press the gingerbread cookie dough into it cold, then stick it in a pre-heated oven to bake.

ed: Manufacturer's instruction sheet is under the Inst link here if you're interested.

My wife says the manufacturer's recipe isn't the best.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 24, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Just make sure you take your racks out and put the pan on the bottom of the oven.

May I ask why?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The racks can discolor or warp during a cleaning cycle. Some may be fine but the vast majority aren't and replacing them will be pricey.

Ah, got it. Directions for our stove say to leave the racks in, I just assumed that would be normal for self cleaning ovens.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I'd guess too much oil and not enough sustained heat to properly polymerize the oil.

I've bought pots that looked like your picture. Here's what I'd try:

1) Scrub well with soap, hot water, and a green abrasive pad / pot scrubber.

2) Rinse well in hot water, towel dry and place in 250 degree oven to heat and finish drying.

3) Carefully take the warm pot out of the oven and use a rag or paper towel to apply a thin coating of oil. Just make it shiny, not drippy.

4) Place the pot back in the oven upside down. This helps prevent hot oil from puddling in the bottom.

5) Bake @250 for an hour, raise to 350 for another hour, raise to 400 or the smoke point of the oil and bake for another hour.

6) Turn off oven and allow to cool to 250. Repeat as necessary until you get the coating you desire.

On a new piece I do a couple of cycles of this using bacon grease then just loving cook in it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Booyah- posted:

can anyone identify the type of burner they are using underneath it, like in the shots where they sear steak and scallions? my biggest complaint about my cast iron is that it does tend to form hot spots, and i have a lovely electric stovetop. It looks like they might be using a portable induction cooktop, if those exist?

I have cheap 8" Salton portable unit I picked up on sale because my wife won't allow cast iron on our glass cooktop. (It was easier than arguing.)

Preheating like the video suggests is important, otherwise the heat is concentrated in two rings. Get it up to temperature before the food goes in and it works fine. The 10" frying pan is a bit big on it, but still works with preheating. Overall I prefer it to the resistance cooktops for smaller pans. There's always the barbecue if I need the 15" skillet.

Good video, but I don't agree with her about making tomato sauce in cast iron. Works for me, every week. :shrug:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Sair posted:

The only issue with cast iron on a glass range is it's a bit heavier. Just keep it clean and try not slide stuff around, having some grit under the pan is what's going to scratch it. That's true for normal pots and pans as well.

This. My cast iron has been exiled to the basement range since we got a glass top eight years ago and despite special pots and never sliding them the surface is still scratched. Grit gets on there, the pot rotates slightly, and there you are. I think burnt sugar might have a bad effect too on some ceramics. Don't finish your maple syrup on your glass range. :canada:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So what’s the consensus on cast irons actually leeching iron into our food etc? Minimal at best?

There is leaching but for most it's a non-issue.

There are studies that show a significant iron increase in foods cooked in cast iron. I don't know what these studies meant by "significant" or if they used well seasoned / sealed cookware to begin with. One referenced applesauce, an acidic food some of us would not consider cooking in cast iron. :stare:

Unless you're a weird Antarctic Ocean fish using copper based blood for oxygen transport iron is essential for life. Given the prevalence of low iron levels in North Americans (especially women) leaching iron looks like a feature, not a bug. I'd only be concerned if the levels were high enough to change the taste of the food or there is hemochromatosis in your family tree. (Or, you're already eating liver for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and tea, in which case you're on your own.)

edit: I did some quick Googling after posting and quickly tripped into the usual Internet cesspool you hit every time you try to research a health issue. Apparently all types of cookware are going to kill you but there is hope:

"Titanium cookware seems to pose the least health risks and doesn't react with food while cooking. Part of a good cancer prevention plan is to ditch all others and buy high quality titanium cookware. Premium titanium cookware is more expensive but inferior cookware will actually cost more over time."

I look forward to reading about cookware made from recycled Soviet nuclear submarines.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 22, 2018

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

When the soviet union broke up, some Iron Curtain countries had been involved in high level titanium and crazy spacecraft alloy smelting for export back to the USSR. With no one to buy them, they had to turn their crazy expensive alloys into shovels and gardening tools.

That's the trouble with this timeline. You can't make an absurd joke without discovering that it's really happening.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Fender Anarchist posted:

brb buying a $10,000 saucepan

Amazon has some pretty inexpensive cook sets, but if you read closely it turns out that "Titanium" is the brand name and they're actually anodized aluminum with a non-stick plastic coating. :haw:

The titanium camping gear is probably legit, if you don't mind paying $85 US for the equivalent of a large mug with a wire handle and looking like a hobo while you cook.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Just be careful to heat the pan evenly - avoid putting a cold pan directly into an already blazing fire. Sucks to bulge the bottom of a 14" skillet like I did (on an electric stove).

Otherwise, should work fine. This was the standard once a year cleaning routine back in our greatgrandmother's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can use soap. The popular misconception of soap ruining seasoning dates from the days when soap had lye in it.

Ah. That explains why I've never had a problem scrubbing mine with dishsoap and soft bristle brushes.

Butterfly Valley posted:

How necessary is the whole ‘dry on the stove over a medium heat and then rub down with oil and heat for another minute or two’ step? Should I do this every time I use it?

Unecessary unless you're living on a boat in a salt water environment. Even then, probably still not necessary unless you're going to be leaving the boat uninhabited for a couple of months. This does not apply to normal people.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

After I'm done cooking, I wash it with soap and water, then I dry it over high heat until most of the water is gone, the carry over heat does the rest.

I used to do this until the day I wandered off to take care of something and came back to an glowing pan with a warped bottom that won't sit flat on the stove anymore. Again, probably doesn't apply to normal people lacking a defective, ADD-addled brain.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Simmering anything with a lot of liquid can be hard on it, but doesn't mean you can't do it

Shakshuka (tomato-pepper sauce) and spaghetti sauce are no problem. Rendering beeswax (melting and purifying old comb over a layer of boiling water) did require re-seasoning. You have to ask yourself though - what normal person thinks rendering beeswax in a cast iron pot is a good idea?