Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Hurray, just what the cast iron thread needs, more aluminum chat!

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

WereJace posted:

I am seasoning my pan for the first time mostly by using it to cook bacon. After the bacon's cooked, I usually pour off the grease, wipe out the pan with a very slightly moist cloth, then reapply some bacon grease or canola oil to the surface and put it in the oven for an hour. It doesn't seem to be developing a nonstick surface, just little patches of stickiness here and there across the insides of the pan. What should I be doing differently, or is this just one step along the road to amazing steaks and fried chicken?

Clean it with warm soapy water (this won't kill it, contrary to what people might say, only letting it soak in water for too long is bad), get all the food bits off, stick it back on the burner on high to dry it, then turn it down to low-medium low, wipe a bit of canola (not a lot, if it's sticky you're using way too much oil) all over it and leave it on low heat for a few minutes after to let the oil polymerize. Flaxseed oil is better for it, but canola does the job just fine.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2015

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Chiming in to say that I never used any of that there fancy "flaxseed" stuff on mine, the most important thing is proper care and re-seasoning after cleaning in my opinion. I think I just used regular canola oil for the original seasoning, but it was a long time ago and hasn't given me any problems since.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Agreed, that definitely doesn't look like it needs to be stripped and re-seasoned. Just clean it up real nice oil it up a bit and it looks like it'd be ready to go.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

enjoy some fuckin bacon in it

have BLTs every day

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

It's all the same, really. You just want to polymerize the oil from bacon grease or steak fat or flaxseed oil or whatever onto the iron. To do that, you apply heat and oil, and it does its thing. You could labor over it and just keep re-seasoning, sure, or you could just use it and let it happen on its own. As is, it looks perfectly capable of being cooked in, so what if you have to add a little bit of extra oil to make it perfectly non-stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

fuckin right :thurman:

the last time someone posted one of these videos the eggs were drowning in oil and I said to myself "well no poo poo it's nonstick, you have a few tablespoons of oil in there..."

but you sir, you nailed it