Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

https://github.com/David-OConnor/stm32-hal

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Oh God. In a diff thread, someone recommended a molecular dynamics software. It's a classic C compile-it-yourself disaster. There's no way they expect people to actual do this! The windows version has 20 steps!!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does anyone have a good reference for functions with Dyn/when to use/when not to use?

My ROT: If you use a `Fn` trait and you get compile errors, prepend `dyn`, If that doesn't work, also wrap it in a box. If you give up, use a `fn` pointer instead.

IMO this is one of the more poorly-designed parts of the lang.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It's IMO hard to grok compared to other parts of the lang. I can do it now, but only by C+P existing code, or trial+error with the compiler. It's an incantation.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It's for higher-order functions. Ie passing functions themselves as arguments. Comes up when making APIs.

Actually, this is a trend. A lot of the messier / harder to understand parts of Rust come up mostly when making APIs, and may be hidden from consumers of APIs or application programming. (See also: traits and to a lesser extent macros)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

crazypenguin posted:

Also be suspicious of urls with something like "1.0.0-alpha" in them.

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/
Rust uses 0-based Versioning, so this about as mature as you can expect.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rust on the web is immature. I love rust, but launched a webapp recently using a Python backend. There are Flask analogs in Rust, but no Django (etc) analogs. So, all the nice things that would be integrated like DB/ORM, templates, email, admin, auth etc are not available, or have to be constructed by hand or using libraries of various quality that may or may not interoperate smoothly.

With this in mind, Rust is fine for HTTP microservices and other uses of a web server, but not for actual websites and web applications.

Also, the HTTP side of rust has mostly been taken over by Async, so... that's all I have to say about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hmm. I know you can do Arm linux target from x64 Linux (Or for that matter, Cortex-M ARM from linux or windows...), by installing and choosing the target, but I can't confirm this works for linux -> mac.