Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Deus Rex posted:

Guhh? What's the one that compiles on the beta but not the 1.1 nightly? That sounds like a regression that should be reported...

...I don't understand why you would key your library off of a 1.1 nightly when you've got a 1.0 beta that's about to turn stable. Like, what's the point in targeting a (non 1.0) nightly at all right now? I could see coding for a nightly for an imminent upcoming release (say, when they're actually close to releasing 1.1), but they're targeting a nightly for a release that's slated for after the current, unreleased stable version. The entire point of making a stable 1.0 release is so that people have a set language+library to code against, and saying "naw gently caress that nightly 4 lyfe cuz :rice: gotta live on da edge" is literally the exact opposite of supporting a good, stable language ecosystem.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Deus Rex posted:

There are a lot of interesting language features (compiler plugins) and library stuff that hasn't yet been stabilized. Off the top of my head, much of the Rust gamedev "ecosystem" uses some bleeding edge feature or another. And 1.1 is due to be released, what, 6 weeks after 1.0? Not that all of or even most of the current unstable stuff will be ready by then, of course.

There aren't 1.0 nightlies anymore. Once they cut a beta, the nightlies bump to the next minor version. I wouldn't expect there to be nearly as much churn in future nightlies as there was in pre-1.0 nightlies (when broad syntax changes were still being made that broke pretty much every program).

Anyway, my question was sort of the opposite of your concern, which is that in a 1.1 nightly there is apparently some regression that prevents a 1.0-beta library from building. If it's building on the 1.0-beta1 release, that's understandable because there were some breaking changes between beta1 and beta2, but if it builds on 1.0-beta2 and not 1.1-nightly there is a real problem that should be reported on GitHub.

No, I understand regressions being an issue that needs to be reported, I just don't get the mentality of using nightlies that way when you have a stable release coming out before the release that the nightlies are versioning to. Though if 1.1 is really slated for 6 weeks after 1.0 though, it's a bit of a different story and it makes a lot more sense. I tried finding a roadmap before I posted that (and just now as well), but I couldn't find one since they apparently took down the github wiki with their docs on it up and their forum doesn't seem to have one either... did they get rid of their mailing list too? I hadn't been following all that closely because I know 1.0 is right around the corner and didn't want to mess with too much before it hit.

e: I mean I understand that that's how stuff gets tested and proven to work and stuff, but the language has literally not had a stable release yet. I'd argue that getting stuff out for your first real release is probably more important for giving the language a base to grow on than using cutting edge features.

I'll admit I don't follow PL development in general too closely, so maybe I'm wrong. I guess I'm wondering if running nightly releases for a language's 1.1 release is common when it hasn't actually released their 1.0 stable yet, and if it is, how often developers target the 1.1 nightly over the 1.0 (almost) stable.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 11, 2015