Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Finally getting the chance to fart around with this language. It's really cool so far! One thing that impressed me is the operator overloading - I like that I can define an operator with two different types as the operands and even a third type as the sum type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

What's the rule/guideline for keeping a cargo package's dependencies up-to-date? For example, if a library I want to use is pulling in a super old version of another dependency, is that how things should be or is it expected for maintainers to periodically go through and bump up the required versions of the dependencies in their library?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I don’t exactly know what the issue is here, but I want to share that a while back, I was having an absolute nightmare of a time following the rust book’s examples to break my code into separate files. Stuff just was not working like the book said it should.

Then I noticed a line in my cargo.toml file saying “rust2017” or something like that. It was an old one-file project that I had recently resurrected. When I removed that line, everything just worked.

It makes sense why that was a thing, but I was still furious

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Writing hella code and figuring out what abstractions/features/patterns you like and don’t like yourself is just about the best way to learn IMO. With that kind of experience you can read stuff and actually say “oh I’ve run into that problem” and more accurately judge and contextualize any advice you get from a book.