Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I think this is a pretty bad idea too but, to be fair, languages like Java do a ton of this stuff at compile time too, e.g. Jooq. What I dislike most about macro based DSLs is that inevitably they will end up like C++-style template monstrosities that are poorly documented and where there is no hope of sane autocompletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

What do you guys recommend for GUI crates?
There's not a lot out there, unfortunately. I briefly tried an experiment to see how far I'd get leveraging webrender for the 2d rendering part, but it was such a moving target that I gave up for the time being.

You can still use a binding to QML perhaps (or even to IMGUI if you don't have too many requirements)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
If you're looking for analogues with other languages perhaps it's useful to think of these implementations as extension methods you may have seen in C# or Kotlin. They augment an existing class but they also require both the class and the extension methods to be imported separately.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I also find it odd that after all of the development work that went into the IntelliJ/CLion Rust plugin it still falls over on these use cases. I mean, I'm convinced there's a ton of effort involved to get it to this point, but you'd expect auto-complete to more or less work by now.

I've had similar issues with fairly basic types where it would infer the wrong type (and give me red squigglies), but 'Go to definition' worked flawlessly. I'd expect that to use the same information, but I guess not.

Like you, for me it's still a bit of a blocker to be really productive. Types can become so complex and unwieldy that even looking at the docs can be fairly useless. "Oh, so I know this is a Descriptor<T> but you're not even telling me what T is".

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
That's one of the most annoying things about the language for me, currently. I understand why the restriction is there but as a regular developer it ends up feeling like such an arbitrary restriction around a very common use case.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
You either have a gas leak or there are some snakes on the loose in your apartment.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
We use Axum as well and it's pretty nice, can recommend.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Ranzear posted:

Just duplicate the damned code, lol. That's exactly what the compiler does with generics anyway.
Golang developer spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Take a look at nom, perhaps?