Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
There’s also a half decent cargo-aoc plugin out there which greatly simplifies this stuff, if wrestling with a cli tool isn’t something you actively enjoy doing. (Its “generator” feature is flaky but also just not necessary.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Ihmemies posted:

I run the code on my linux server, because setting up stuff there is so much easier. So program runs on VSCode's terminal window.

You mean this onehttps://crates.io/crates/cargo-aoc ? Hmm maybe I should test it, thanks. Although since I started learning rust like 2 weeks ago maybe it's good first to do things more manually.
Yup, that one. I’m relatively new myself and my take was that AoC was hard enough as it is, I didn’t need to add “learn how rust thinks about CLI parsing, then write my own logic around dispatching” to the list.

Granted, I then put AoC down a few days into it, but that wasn’t the plugin’s fault, just realizing AoC wasn’t a good use of my time right now. (Even those 4 days were a great boost to my Rust tho!)