Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The content is pretty narrow, with a lot of space between the left nav and the content itself. I'd shift it left and widen it 10rem or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Vanadium posted:

For replication, maybe you could find the right git revision corresponding to the yanked release and depending on that directly instead of going through cargo.

If you go the route of pinning to a specific SHA you should probably clone it somewhere you control, lest the owner decides to nuke some history or the repo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That's a solid allegory for programming in general: make it work first, then worry about performance.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You’re calling clone inside the closure, which must move the original for that call to work. I think you need to clone outside and move that in? I’m pretty new to rust myself so might be wrong.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

prom candy posted:

Yeah I was going to mention Laravel itself is turning 12 next month and Rails is god knows how old.

I've never done systems programming or worked with C/C++ so there are definitely topics in the Rust book that are new to me but even when making little toy command line apps I just can't stop thinking how nice it would be to have Rust's features even in higher-level contexts. Hell earlier today I was working on a React component and thinking about No Boilerplate's whole thing about "make unrepresentable states impossible" and how a Rust enum would've made what I was trying to do much simpler and enforce correctness at the same time.

This doesn’t help with your main ask (rust on rails stuff), but if you aren’t using typescript check it out. There are ways to fully type your state and everything else.

The enums aren’t the same as rust, but union types fill the role of enums with values.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Great! I kind of thought you would be given you posted in here, but the enum thing made me question so I commented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Ranzear posted:

Is there a way to alter the cargo new behavior to add some extra default crates and other toml changes or perhaps change "Hello world!" to "Sup fuckers!" for instance?

Just having the right dev-dependencies already set up for dynamic linking and whatnot would be killer. I don't really want to copy-paste all that into every Bevy project I start up. Seems like years ago it was hardcoded.

Not from the core new command. But maybe a template repo with what you want would make sense? Whatever your starting point is, put that in a repo somewhere. Clone and push to a new origin for a new project.

There’s probably a bunch of opinionated templates repos already out there even.