Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
To put it in perspective, my mum bought her house in the suburb of Hauraki on the North Shore of Auckland back in 1997 for around $360,000. If she were to sell it, she'll probably get $1million profit.

Oh, and if you wanted an example of Auckland property prices being completely ridiculous, think about this: the suburb that rates lowest on the social deprivation index in Rotorua is Lynmore. It's generally considered the posh side of town. The average house price around there is $400k. That average house price is about on par with Otara in South Auckland, which is one of the most deprived and roughest suburbs in the city.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Yeah thats quite a bit more than LA (I would say 400-600k), what is a common wage for a service industry job in NZ? If anything that seems pretty comparable to DC/NYC/SF but Auckland is part of a considerably smaller metro area.

I know there was quite a bit talk among Americans about moving to NZ because it is "pretty and liberal" but seems like there is more going on then they think.

Service industry would be $14 -$20 an hour, the vast majority being at the low end of that. Tips are rare as gently caress. Increasingly you are unlikely to be guaranteed any hours in a week.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

So how much if a 3 bedroom house in good shape in a decent neighborhood in Auckland?

Hillcrest (which is just over the bridge and about 10 minutes drive to Britomart without traffic) costs about $800k for a 3 bedroom poo poo hole.
We just sold our house and were going to buy another in the same area, but it is pretty much unfeasible if you want to be able to do anything other than sit at home (and that is with both my partner and I making decent incomes - although having a kid does make things tighter).

So yeah, you're hosed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

Service industry would be $14 -$20 an hour, the vast majority being at the low end of that. Tips are rare as gently caress. Increasingly you are unlikely to be guaranteed any hours in a week.

This. My gf went through around 3 jobs before she could pin one down that guaranteed a full working week instead of 'part time' of ~30-35 hours.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you want some real loving perspective on Auckland housing at the moment:

My parents bought fairly centrally in Auckland in 1995 for $225000. They sold in 2011 for $1.05m. Theu found out the same house (albeit done up) sold again a couple of months ago for $1.7m.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Slavvy posted:

This. My gf went through around 3 jobs before she could pin one down that guaranteed a full working week instead of 'part time' of ~30-35 hours.

According to Winz, that's full time work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Solus posted:

According to Winz, that's full time work.

Yeah, I know that because that's what they told her when she couldn't pay her bills and a second job would have made her go backwards thanks to two-jobs tax.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, I know that because that's what they told her when she couldn't pay her bills and a second job would have made her go backwards thanks to two-jobs tax.

Here is a fun Winz fact: if you have a partner who has a job and you don't, and you get a job seeker benefit, your partners job gets secondary tax and the pittance you get from Winz gets primary tax, because "thats just the way we do things".

But then, if your partner has a job chances are your combined income is above the threshold anyway.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress this gay government

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Infotainment! posted:

gently caress this gay government

They're not gay, that would be alienate their voter block.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They're not gay, that would be alienate their voter block.

Lol if you don't think John key beigely panders to the pink vote every chance he gets while his south Auckland mps vote against human rights for reasons of "community culture" just like labour.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Here is a fun Winz fact: if you have a partner who has a job and you don't, and you get a job seeker benefit, your partners job gets secondary tax and the pittance you get from Winz gets primary tax, because "thats just the way we do things".

But then, if your partner has a job chances are your combined income is above the threshold anyway.

My boss had his defacto wife run away to australia on him (at the time it looked like it would be permanent but it ended up being around 3 months). He has two children aged six and three. Winz said they could give him an extra $20 a week with the option of another $4 if he applied for some additional thing! Also, subsidised day care that was still more expensive than getting a babysitter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't been on WINZ for a while now, but I spent a good 5 years doing contract/temp work and every now and then I'd hit a lull and need assistance. I hated every aspect of dealing with them, and they made me attend every idiot 'orientation' about writing a CV and applying for jobs even when I'd done it just three months earlier or when I was only needing assistance for a month before starting a new contract. I would honestly say I spent more time dealing with the bureaucracy of getting unemployment than I did actually getting another job.

Infotainment! posted:

Lol if you don't think John key beigely panders to the pink vote every chance he gets while his south Auckland mps vote against human rights for reasons of "community culture" just like labour.
I would like to pretend that the pink vote hasn't forgotten about his 'sorry, that's just a meaning of the word' defense of using "gay" as a pejorative.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
^ I would hope so too, I just don't think John sees it as a problem.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
John Key's support for gay marriage makes me confident that a decent majority of New Zealanders support it too :unsmith:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
By the way, any of you guys who are paying secondary PAYE on a second job should be applying for your personal income statement from the IRD every year, you will almost certainly be entitled to a refund since the secondary PAYE brackets are pitched quite a bit higher. Ditto goes for those who just have one job but work irregular hours or are paid irregular amounts — you will have had too much PAYE deducted because the pay rate schedule assumes you are earning the same amount every pay period. Everyone should be requesting those statements from the IRD all the time, basically.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008
There are good people at WINZ who do try to help. Also wankers as well, like anything.

Too much money tied up in Auckland housing for any real downwards adjustment unless a major disaster occurs (would be loving nice if one of the volcanos went active)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Last I read Rangitoto is the only volcano with a chance of reactivating. If When there's an eruption in the future it's expected to be a new formation.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Judging by the market in Christchurch though I'm really not sure that would help.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
a sinkhole opened up under remuera... i'm sorry, there were no survivors

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I've always wanted to burn down the homes of the rich. Having a volcano do it en masse would be an acceptable substitute.

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah thats quite a bit more than LA (I would say 400-600k), what is a common wage for a service industry job in NZ? If anything that seems pretty comparable to DC/NYC/SF but Auckland is part of a considerably smaller metro area.

I know there was quite a bit talk among Americans about moving to NZ because it is "pretty and liberal" but seems like there is more going on then they think.

I'm a NZer currently in the process of moving to LA. I was initially frightened of the thought of finding a place to stay in LA, thinking it would be expensive as hell. But after looking at prices and having lived in Auckland for the last 10 years, I finally realised how shafted Aucklanders are getting. The only comparison I can make is the medical costs in America. I recently got all the dental work I needed done here in NZ as I know it would cost a lot more in America. So what I'm saying is you should do the same and buy a house and bring it with you to NZ to save money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Exclamation Marx posted:

a sinkhole opened up under remuera... i'm sorry, there were no survivors

:geno: Oh no. However will we ever survive?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

-neutrino- posted:

There are good people at WINZ who do try to help. Also wankers as well, like anything.

Winz staff performance reviews are based on the number of people they see and how quickly they get them out the door again. Not on results, not on finding the best solution to their problem, but just churning them out of the system as quickly as possible for 'efficiency'.

So if they get someone come in who's homeless and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, they really don't want to deal with it because it'll take ages and make their stats look bad that day.

Naturally the stats they have to reach are actually impossible to do at the same time as doing a good job. This way they can point to bad metrics and poor performance as a reason why it needs to be privatised to make it better.

An example of what it's like dealing with WINZ:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11336725

quote:

On top of that, he said, a transfer of the social housing waiting list from Housing NZ to Work and Income in April had removed the flexibility that Housing NZ managers used to have.

For example, Work and Income might assess a family with six children in a van as needing a house with four or five bedrooms, so they might sit on the waiting list for months until such a large house became available.

"Under the old system, you could talk to a manager and they could get you a three-bedroom house, which was better than nothing," Mr Clatworthy said. Social Development Ministry general manager Marama Edwards said Work and Income still worked closely with emergency housing providers and adjusted families' priority ratings when their circumstances changed.

"If people are experiencing hardship they should contact Work and Income," she said.

Which leads to...

quote:

So the family applied to Work and Income for social housing and were placed on the waiting list on September 9. Almost a month later, they are still waiting.

"I rang them early in the morning on Monday," Mrs Tuuu said. "I keep ringing them every day. They say the only thing they are doing is waiting for a house."

They have not been given a case manager so ring the call centre.

"You can't make another appointment to go there, only for the assessment."

"If someone needs help, please contact the bureaucracy" *Contacts* "Sorry, you're in the system now and have to follow the pre-set rules"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
im moving back into my parents house soon #rip me

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

-neutrino- posted:

Too much money tied up in Auckland housing for any real downwards adjustment unless a major disaster occurs (would be loving nice if one of the volcanos went active)

When I went in to Winz the lady took her time and helped me even though about half way through it was clear to her that I wouldn't qualify because of my partners income. My problem with Winz is the upper people who make the rules, not the day to day staff.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Anyone see Andrew Little on breakfast? Whole segment about growing economic inequality and I think the interviewer made better points than Little did. Really disappointing, he couldn't have had an easier interview to spell out some of the poo poo that is wrong...

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/huge-divergence-in-economic-equality-gap-andrew-little-video-6221047

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

im moving back into my parents house soon #rip me

I did this because my lease was about to run out and it was uni student housing season. I accidentally fell down stairs at work and now it's like 12 months later.

FYI ACC will no longer pay for taxis to loving anywhere, regardless of if it's physio, medical appointments, or even your surgery.

Meanwhile any government dept I could work in has been intentionally downsized in preference of 'preferred contractors' because they don't show up on employee expenditure sheets.

Thank goodness that the private sector is here to provide jobs to save the government money [gets paid a disgustingly low amount on Independent Contractor status to avoid any kind of employee benefit at all]

The System Works

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 20, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

I did this because my lease was about to run out and it was uni student housing season. I accidentally fell down stairs at work and now it's like 12 months later.

FYI ACC will no longer pay for taxis to loving anywhere, regardless of if it's physio, medical appointments, or even your surgery.

Meanwhile any government dept I could work in has been intentionally downsized in preference of 'preferred contractors' because they don't show up on employee expenditure sheets.

Thank goodness that the private sector is here to provide jobs to save the government money [gets paid a disgustingly low amount on Independent Contractor status to avoid any kind of employee benefit at all]

The System Works

i work in IT and still can't really afford to rent anymore. where is the heavy taxation of property investment and hey how about some rights for renters to have a habitable house

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

i work in IT and still can't really afford to rent anymore. where is the heavy taxation of property investment and hey how about some rights for renters to have a habitable house

That doesn't sound like something that would benefit the friends of John Key, who he most certainly sits down and drinks beers with.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

That doesn't sound like something that would benefit the friends of John Key, who he most certainly sits down and drinks beers with.

drat, it's true. oh well obviously at the end if the day that's best since jk is a great bloke who we all would love to have a beer with too

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://thestandard.org.nz/where-is-cameron-slater/

quote:

Yesterday I got contacted about Cameron Slater’s current address. Apparently the arsehole of the kiwi blogosphere hasn’t been paying his court ordered judgements against him that have been incurred in recent years. The person who contacted me wanted to serve a notice to bankrupt him.

However the miscreant has gone to ground and apparently has no known address. So I urge Cameron Slater to do the thing that he so eloquently raves that other debtors should do – pay his debts. As usual his lack of personal responsibility and general inadequacy just hurts all of those who are around him. Just ask Judith Collins or John Key.

But I managed to get a image of the front page. If you run into the cowering fugitive, don’t hesitate to point it out to him. Remind him that a bankruptcy hearing will be taking place with or without him.

:smugdog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand how the biggest fuckhead in nz can possibly be so famous/infamous. I just don't get it. Why can't he just cease existing?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I don't understand how the biggest fuckhead in nz can possibly be so famous/infamous. I just don't get it. Why can't he just cease existing?

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.
:eyepop:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

New Zealand Politics - WarpedNaba arrested on domestic terrorism charges

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

New Zealand Politics - BARONS CYBER SKULL's house raided by police to discover source of thread title leak

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Not a problem if it is a suicide.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

New Zealand Politics - WarpedNaba arrested on domestic terrorism charges

Does it count as domestic if the victim exclusively serves foreign interests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

:wow:

• Locked thread