Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, that isn't how tax brackets or income work.

What kind of imbecile falls for such naked manipulation of the English language based on their ignorant understanding of maths? *Scrolls down* You can't tell the difference between them and a troll anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes it is? Inflation has been a pretty steady 2% since the last time the thresholds were adjusted back in 2010, and even if wages have only risen half as fast as inflation then effectively the top tax bracket threshold has lowered by about $5k/year

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Guys, that isn't how tax brackets or income work.

What kind of imbecile falls for such naked manipulation of the English language based on their ignorant understanding of maths? *Scrolls down* You can't tell the difference between them and a troll anymore.

Yeah i was gonna say, that's USA republican level of misrepresenting how tax brackets work.

And speaking of USA republicans, we have our own "drain the swamp" bullshit now: https://www.facebook.com/OneNationNZ/

Headed up by the lovely Kym Koloni, who was too racist for NZ First and even got shot down by Winnie himself, it's running off the usual "one law, one culture (white), one language (English) for all" crap.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

Yes it is? Inflation has been a pretty steady 2% since the last time the thresholds were adjusted back in 2010, and even if wages have only risen half as fast as inflation then effectively the top tax bracket threshold has lowered by about $5k/year

If you're earning 71k though only 1k of that is being taxed at the highest bracket, it's not like you're paying as much tax as someone earning 140k which is what that article makes it seem like

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Point remains bracket creep is real and we should have inflation adjusted tax brackets, if not automatically then at least by custom each year

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yep, also benefits should be modified by CPI each year as well. Introduce a comprehensive capital gains tax and a new top rate somewhere around 100-150K. But that won’t happen because one of these days I am going to be that rich and when I do I am going to make guys like me really pay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's weird how MP salaries keep pace with inflation but nobody else's do.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Benefits need to go up by more than the CPI each year.

https://publicaddress.net/legalbeagle/the-inflation-adjustment-of-benefits-or-a/

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Here is a guy who is upset about that bracket creep
https://twitter.com/grant_farquhar/status/996948342453092352

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Everything is going well for me, so why aren't I being helped?!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Self-professed homeowner with above-avg income: "we are the middle of the bell curve!"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What next? Laffer curve?

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
"Where is my reward for being moderately successful?"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I wonder why he doesn’t consider his two children to be part of his family

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

That tweet has been deleted, I guess people were taking him to task.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Love our trash media's thoughtful and nuanced response to this budget: "Very safe and essentially business as usual, could have been National's budget. Labour party still Communists."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The national party line has been really dissonant on it in that same way. Their main line is that it's a "borrow and spend" budget but they're also banging on about how National actually spent more and so Labour are failing to deliver even more than National did.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

The national party line has been really dissonant on it in that same way. Their main line is that it's a "borrow and spend" budget but they're also banging on about how National actually spent more and so Labour are failing to deliver even more than National did.

It's probably because it's an opposition fuelled entirely by knee-jerk critical reactions rather than anything that appears to be a well-thought out response to anything.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They pulled that crap when they were in power so it's not like they ever changed. They run on fear and breaking brains.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

Opinion writer: "National's criticisms seem contradictory, but they are correct in making them." (Writer fails to elucidate how this criticism is in any way correct and in good faith)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I saw a piece yesterday about how, just to keep pace with population growth and inflation, health spending needs to increase 14% over the next 4 years based on current forecasts. Even Labour's $3.2b increase over the next 4 years is actually a decrease in per capita spending in real terms because of how much of that is capital expense. loving 9 years of neglect

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlTzpYbrgU

☠️

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Please tl:dr that poo poo because even as someone into politics, 9 minutes of that useless petty braying is too loving much

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
she just demolishes him in general, there's no sick burns or anything

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Honestly, national was serving dollies like a 3rd party. They don't know how to be opposition.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did you have to post a snuff film in this thread? loving hell.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Don't miss Paula Bennett storming out after her question the previous day!

https://youtu.be/wTe5lIlVBdU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The sassy "for how long?" after is the best.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's great to see Jacinda on form like that, but question time is (even more of) a loving joke now that there's no requirement to answer specific questions. Though to be fair National made that bed so it's nice to see them have to lie in it.

Unrelated but Jesus Christ David Seymour continues to be human trash: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12055731

^in which he warns Epsom residents about a social housing project that might house people with mental health issues:

quote:

There is also a chance that some of the future residents will have social and mental health issues who will need to have special support measures in place.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I do find this kind of thing quite entertaining, but I guess that's not exactly a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWRUIYHO5M&t=290s

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Support, huh? Like a breakfast slot on Newstalk ZB?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pararoid posted:

I do find this kind of thing quite entertaining, but I guess that's not exactly a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWRUIYHO5M&t=290s
It's entertaining because it's National trying to "but sir the rules" their way out of detention and doing it so poorly and obnoxiously they end up being sent to the principal. Like, they would probably stop being so 'unfairly' punished if they just went "sorry, the member withdraws and apologises" instead of drawing it out into a ten minute discussion every single time they got slapped on the wrist for basic poo poo like suggesting that the Prime Minister is committing illegal acts.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Support, huh? Like a breakfast slot on Newstalk ZB?

I think he means above and beyond the supports that current Epsom residents receieve for their mental health issues, like talkback radio or berths at Westhaven marina

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

apparently i have a thing for pregnant women annihilating right wing fuckheads

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the 5 points from gryffindor stuff is funny because the nats could solve it by not making bad interjections

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

exmarx posted:

the 5 points from gryffindor stuff is funny because the nats could solve it by not making bad interjections

They spent the last 9 years acting like a bunch of unruly hooligans in parliament, with a speaker that went beyond compliant, and was blatantly running interference for them.

It's so gratifying to see them now continuing to act like they were when they were in government, and then squawking with indignation when they get constantly slapped down by a speaker that has no time to brook any of their poo poo, and treats them like the spoiled primary school children that they are.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

bike tory posted:

I think he means above and beyond the supports that current Epsom residents receieve for their mental health issues, like talkback radio or berths at Westhaven marina

I was trying to make a crack about 'Social and Mental health issues' = Mike Hosking.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya I got that and I was trying to make a crack about how rich people generally are mentally ill

both of our jokes are even more funny now that they've been explained

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Everyone’s (Nat supporters) umbrage (that didn’t exist before they were p. much told to cry about it) at Trevor Mallard is also funny cause the same shitheads are always the first on the scene in police/corrections articles with their hot take of “don’t want to get punished, don’t break the rules then :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

lol c'mon

• Locked thread