Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Can someone explain to me why they're always mentioning 'ratepayers' and how 'ratepayers will foot the bill' or whatever. Isn't that what rates are actually for? Like, if you pay rates (and other taxes), that's money leaving your pocket regardless of how it's used. You don't lose anything if the revenue is spent on things that aren't somehow directly economically beneficial.

I guess the wider question is: has NZ always been obsessed with having a government and associated bureaucracies that are profitable? Isn't the goal of government to run things as opposed to turning a profit? People seem to think the national party is great because 'they know business!!' but why is that a good thing? Why would you want the government to be run like a business? It makes no sense to me because governments and businesses exist for different reasons and have different fundamental goals.

People would be expecting their rates to go towards general infrastructure, upkeep of public land like parks and reserves and poo poo, council duties like rubbish collection, etc., so a perceived deviation from that, like being expected to cover for the allegedly skyrocketing bill for the Sky City convention centre which was tendered murky (at best) circumstances, end up being labelled as extravagances that "ratepayers will foot the bill" for. It's an implication of misappropriation of said rates, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, it seems my job is one of the few that is an exception to the rule, but that may be because I'm paid by the government.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

To put it in perspective, my mum bought her house in the suburb of Hauraki on the North Shore of Auckland back in 1997 for around $360,000. If she were to sell it, she'll probably get $1million profit.

Oh, and if you wanted an example of Auckland property prices being completely ridiculous, think about this: the suburb that rates lowest on the social deprivation index in Rotorua is Lynmore. It's generally considered the posh side of town. The average house price around there is $400k. That average house price is about on par with Otara in South Auckland, which is one of the most deprived and roughest suburbs in the city.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 19, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

a sinkhole opened up under remuera... i'm sorry, there were no survivors

:geno: Oh no. However will we ever survive?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Let me guess, "gently caress public transport, motorways for everyone!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey guys, we have Year 9 kids this year born after 9/11 and the first-gen iPod. That was your "oh gently caress, I'm old" bit of information for today.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So the Herald attached this image to their article about Catton's dad having a go at Fuckhead Plunkett on his radioshow today.

It makes me sort of, um, uncomfortable, you know?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Slightly off-topic but did any North Island goons see the space rock poo poo last night?

Saw a flash of light, thought it was a firework or something and then heard about the meteor later.

Exclamation Marx posted:

he also all but outright claimed that Sabin got done for domestic violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3WeDiyRSjw&t=240s

linked directly to what he said, but the whole thing is good (terrible) for how obfuscatory the Nats are about it.

I vaguely remember hearing an opposition MP saying it was for something that was "deplorable" or words to that effect. If it is for domestic violence, then yeah, it is pretty loving awful.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, Eminem's lawsuit against the Nats is going to court.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Those anti-domestic-violence radio ads are tremendously stupid.

"Don't beat ya wife if the allblacks lose!" people hearing that ad fall into two categories:

1. People who aren't colossal psychopaths who beat their spouse over sports bullshit.

2. Colossal psychopaths who don't give a poo poo about radio ads telling them not to beat their spouse over sports bullshit.

I always resent the implied connection between sporting events and domestic violence. The people who beat their spouses would be beating the poo poo out of them for whatever reason, regardless of the outcome of a rugby game.

In the 2 years leading up to my parents getting divorced, my father used to beat the poo poo out of my mum for any old reason - bad day at work, the train was crowded, he vaguely remembers mum saying something 10 years ago that he's decided he didn't like, mum's Japanese so stuff that Japan did to Koreans back when the Koreas were a Japanese colony, it was rainy, it was sunny, it was cloudy, there was a bit of a breeze, he loving felt like it. The All Blacks losing a game had gently caress all to do with it.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 15, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lancelot posted:

lol @ people unironically using the phrase "military bashing" in this thread

The government calls it the Army, but a more alarmist name would be...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meander posted:

Yeah, it gets confusing. I think he'd probably be aiming to prove his innocence beyond reasonable doubt though, since that will make his case stronger. From what I've read on the facts of the murders though, that may be an impossible task, there's evidence pointing both ways.

I think Cabinet should just make a decision - no report is ever going to come to an unarguable position.

And speaking of "evidence both ways," I've wondered if people in the legal profession feel that his retrial a few years ago where he was found "not guilty" was, in fact, a fair trial? I remember feeling sceptical of the possibility at the time due to the amount of literature relating to the Bain case that had been published and the frequent coverage that it got from time to time, not to mention that pretty much everyone had a firm belief in his guilt or innocence.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember hearing about the two jurors turning up to Bain's party after the trial, but gently caress me, that's even worse.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You fucker, I came to say that.

Ghostlight posted:

All of these great suggestions really only serve to reinforce how utterly mediocre Tadpole was.

I think you mean Steriogram.

Also, remember when Russell Baille at the Herald would gush about whatever new album a New Zealand band put out, no matter how poo poo it was?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 24, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

At the risk of being violently ill I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91v1hC6__Y

I don't get videos embedded. I get links instead. And like some sort of loving idiot, I went ahead and clicked it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Len Brown has announced construction on the CRL will begin mid-year.

Well it's about loving time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope everyone in West Auckland is OK.

Any news on what may have caused the explosion?

Edit: which has apparently been downgraded to a "van on fire?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

you won't accept a loving birth certificate from 1991

Look at this 90s baby.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edit: ended up a double post for some reason. I swear I hit the Edit button.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 27, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basically, gently caress bureaucracy.

When I got my passport renewed a couple of years ago, the boxes where you're supposed to write each letter into on the printed out forms were invisible. I thought this would be a problem because it said "print clearly in each individual box" or something to that effect. I emailed the passport office asking them for advice, and I was told that it was an issue with my printer. I had printed the forms out on a few different printers and the result was the same each time, and it sort of pissed me off so I emailed them back telling them that A) I resented the implication that I was at fault for their paperwork being rubbish and B) it shouldn't matter if I was using a dot matrix printer, it should not be an unreasonable expectation for the forms to be usable regardless of what printer I was using. A couple of days later I got an email from a lady whom I assume is the original guy's boss, apologising and saying to not worry. Then what's the loving point of writing "print clearly in each loving box" then, for gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ask him where his funding came from, and how it's different from Cunliffe's "trusts."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"So, how's Max's music career going?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Flash a $10 note and ask him how much legislation you can get for it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

Ask him what he thinks about the ethics of lying.
"When is it okay to lie to the public" is a question I would be interested in hearing him answer. Hearing other politicians answer to it would be enlightening too.

And perhaps how he would define the boundaries of "public interest."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I live in Rotorua. Is it OK if I talk about tourists?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For gently caress's sake, just sink the stupid island into the ocean.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

South Island? More like, um, Stupid Island. :smug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I have a question for the law talking guys and/or ladies here. So, I've got this kid in my tutor group at school and I learned he had been giving away the mobile number of another student in said class (a girl in the year below him) without her consent or knowledge because he "thought it was funny." She has been receiving text messages from people she doesn't know and she's finding it rather upsetting. I did give him a thorough bollocking in front of the other students, telling him that I would be crashing down on him like an anvil if she receives even a single text after this, and I have also reported it to the Head of House, so what he's done is now in the system, and he is likely to be facing serious consequences tomorrow as it is. Anyway, what I'm asking is if there any laws he may have broken, or if he's put himself in an actionable position?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

Pretty sure that's straight up harassment.

He really is a loving moron, and I will be talking to the Heads of House tomorrow morning about this at staff briefing. I'm guessing Senior Management up to and including the principal will probably get involved at some point. It's such a loving headache that I could do without.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Follow-up on my previous post re: the resident dumb-gently caress of my form class - sent him to the Heads of House this morning, and it seems like he got a severe bollocking from them as well. He will be seeing them again in about an hour, but it seems parents will be called, meetings will be had and tears will be shed. He came to apologise to me and I told him that "maybe I'm not the one [he] needs to apologise to," and that the girl involved has every right in the world to hate him forever for what he did. I did catch up with her about 5 minutes ago and gave her a quick update on what's going on because she seemed nervous about being called in by the Heads of House, but I reassured her she has nothing to be worried about, that she shouldn't think she's done anything wrong because as far as we're aware, she hasn't, and that the kid will be coming to apologise to her later today or possibly tomorrow, but she has no obligation to forgive him, because as far as I'm concerned, that is entirely her call.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

klen dool posted:

Is this high school? What is a "heads of house"? Has school changed that much since I left in 1996 that I don't even understand the lingo anymore?!?

It's a high school in Rotorua. The students at the school are separated into 1 of 5 houses (like, as Exclamation Marx said, in Harry Potter) of roughly equal size. Each house has two heads, one male and one female, because it's meant to act as sort of a colour-coded whanau who share the duties related to the job. For all intents and purposes, they're the deans, only instead of being responsible for a specific year-group, they look after what is roughly 1/5 of the student population from Y9~Y13. The specifics related to subject areas go to the HoDs (or Heads of Learning Areas), who also oversee heads of smaller departments (for example, I'm in the English Department, and I'm also HoD of Media Studies. I'm also the Media Studies department. This also means I'm spared tedious poo poo like HoD meetings) and things like which classes students go into are delegated to Academic Pathway Mentors responsible for specific year groups. The Heads of House also take care of discipline issues in-house.

The specific way the staff hierarchy is structured is apparently rather unusual. I have to admit I haven't seen this sort of thing before, but my school is generally one of the most successful in the Western Bay of Plenty and is well above the national average in our decile.

Slavvy posted:

What decile is the school? Not stirring poo poo, am honestly curious.

Decile 4, but it's a "split-the-difference" decile 4. We've got kids that are well-to-do and affluent, along with kids that are living in appalling poverty because the students are drawn from all over the city. For example, among the students I teach, I have the daughter of a now deceased local body politician that was once a candidate for the Rotorua Electorate a few elections ago (and probably would have been in the seat currently occupied by Te Ururoa Flavell) who lives a couple of streets over from me in a fairly affluent part of the city, and another student who's parents can't actually afford proper uniform.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the dumbshit who gave out a girl's number without her knowledge or consent did so because she kicked him in the balls last year. For gently caress's sake. :ughh:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's not like state schools are perpetually strapped for cash and desperate for resources. poo poo, teaching is an easy job and it's basically like babysitting, right? It's not like I'm responsible for the learning of over 100 kids, using my own money to acquire teaching resources or every-day things like stationery for the students or even occasionally acting as a social worker and/or counsellor for them, keeping an eye out for any red flags that may pop up that the school might have missed because some kids really keep poo poo that we should know about to themselves, or stay up until the wee hours of the morning assessing their work and providing them with feedback and constructive criticism or using my free time putting together activities for a Y10 class that are "mixed ability" but contain kids that have a reading age of about 5 that they can engage with, while trying to find ways to get them to try and read a novel. Nope.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 5, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that the majority of teachers do not have your dedication to giving a poo poo; that was certainly the impression I got from highschool a decade ago.

Oh, what I described is every-day stuff. One of my Associate Teachers when I was a Student Teacher gave me a bit of advice that I see the value of every day - "Sometimes you just can't afford to care in this job." I've got kids with family members that were murdered, and there are times when my students take time off because of drama at home. The point my AT was making was that pretty much every kid walks into class with some sort of baggage, and when we start having to counsel them, it ends up bogging us down and it leads to burn out. If they've got issues, I will be mindful of them, but I can't let that dictate how I interact with them in class. Sometimes, that can actually be beneficial to them, because stuff like "I'm the kid with the dad that got murdered" doesn't end up becoming an albatross around their neck.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As you grow up you realize the teachers you hated at school because they were "assholes" probably had it worse than some moron loving kid who hated school did.

It helps to have a cynical sense of humour. Or at least, I've found that it helps. The guy who teaches in the room next to me gets pretty much all the dropkicks in his classes, and we've joked about how there might be a secret ancient dropkicks burial ground underneath his room which attracts all of them to his class.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The worst part about Novopay is that there were failsafes put in place when the contract was signed, that Parata removed because reasons, which probably would have saved a lot of time and dollars later. My sister in law also knows someone who works at Novopay and she said that her friend complained about a lack of patience from teachers and blah blah blah. It's like, gently caress you, pay me. It's out livelihoods you're loving with. You don't get a mulligan, you don't get a do-over. You get it right each time, every time and if you can't, then gently caress off and go do something else while someone who knows what they're doing takes over. All the Novopay-related poo poo would have been sorted in about two weeks if every single person underpaid were reimbursed from Steven Joyce, Hekia Parata and John Key's bank accounts.

Slavvy posted:

Do you think there's any sort of quantifiable explanation for why some teachers are feared by even the worst classes whilst others get worn down to gibbering wrecks in a matter of days?

Some people are cut out for it, others aren't. I know it's a mundane answer, but there you go. Some of my colleagues are feared, like the Head of Maths here (he's actually a lovely guy, and there are a lot of students that actually quite like him). Personally, I prefer to just give them the consistency that they need, and let them run out of tricks. They know where the boundary is and if they step over, they will find there are appropriate consequences, but I rarely raise my voice and I rarely show any anger. I only ever use it as the nuclear option.
Kids can be cunts and they'll say poo poo that will cut to the bone. There have been times where I've wanted to take a student out to the back and just beat the gently caress out of them but I don't. That doesn't mean we don't vent about our students, but I never give them the satisfaction of knowing whether or not something they said got to me. Mind you, I have also said things to them that they might have found upsetting. I did tell a Y12 student last year, for example, that if he was going to insist on acting like a little child, then there's a school up the road (a primary school, by the way) that just might be more his speed, and that in my classroom, I expect him to behave like a Y12 student. That same student did end up pushing things to the point where it was a choice between his wants and everyone else's needs because he decided I was "bullying" him (he wasn't doing any of his internal assessments in pretty much every subject, which meant he didn't have UE literacy, which would bar him from not only tertiary study, but also skilled work. As per required by Senior Management, he was flagged as an "at-risk" student, and I had to contact his mum. He got told off, and apparently I was entirely at fault for this and therefore, I was picking on him.) Long story short, he ended up dropping out and I've been told he's working at the local Pak n Save.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I want to beat his loving face in with that loving hammer.

That kind of talk gets you on the GCSB watchlist, mister.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Get rid of people, all of them.

Ideally, this would be accomplished by someone with a lair somewhere, preferably literally in a mountain or their own volcanic island and would be given a name like "Project Vulcan" or something along those lines. Maybe they would have people hired to hench, wearing fitted jumpsuits.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 9, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I am perfectly comfortable in believing that he is representative of all South Island residents, and therefore judging and condemning the entirety of the population of South Island by extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

klen dool posted:

Sorry, I meant like a quote or something. What exactly did he say, and in what context? That article just asserts he said it.

It's TVNZ, so I suspect it might have come from a media scrum at Parliament or something like that.

• Locked thread