Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Heh, he got called an oxygen thief.

But thank you, that got me thinking if I am going to have a soda from a fast food place I should try to skip the straw. Got to keep the lid through if I am taking it out short of me bringing my own cup.

And miss out on the pleasures of sucking on a rod that fills your mouth with a liquid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He rage quit politics.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

Yeah if the party needs to move someone on they can arrange a nice cushy board position. Labour doesn’t have so many options like that for moving MPs on.

Quiet retirement or local body politics, it seems.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Taitale posted:

Patsy questions are dumb and useless anyway.

They definitely need to be removed, or heavily amended. How often did we see patsy questions like "Why are you so amazing at your job as minister of butts, and why are you the prettiest princess at the party?" being asked by backbenchers? Restrict that poo poo to "Have there been any new initiatives at the Ministry of whatever. If so, could you please explain the intent/method/etc." Something like that. Neutral, kept fact-based and to the point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish it were a bear trap.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, the ongoing, costly legacy of the venal cunts that were in power before:

Specifically, how they liked to play fast and loose with the law, especially when it related to matters of privacy.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/353417/crown-to-pay-90-000-for-kim-dotcom-privacy-breach

gently caress you, Finlayson, you arrogant loving oval office.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I know him and he's a very smart guy (and did some really good and clever stuff with Treaty settlements) but he was so flagrantly wrong on this call.

Perhaps, but it points to a toxic attitude that the previous government displayed (remember, that he's not the only National Party MP that had a high profile position that has fallen afoul of privacy laws - Bennett and Collins suddenly come to mind). I mean, they had a very worryingly cavalier attitude towards matters relating to the law. Pretty legal, and so on, and this is just another example of it, in a loving sickening big picture. I mean, what kind of tinpot banana republic-level poo poo is this?

Finlayson needs to resign from parliament, quite frankly. He was the Attorney-General, the top legal mind in the nation. He, of all people, should not have been breaking any laws, especially one that could potentially carry a prison term, regardless of how much he achieved in the way of Treaty settlements, like with the Tuhoe.

But then again, what do I know? I thought the GCSB stuff that kicked off all of this to begin with was a resignation-level offence, and here we are.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 27, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah i don't disagree. The last government were getting incredibly bad.

Honestly, the loving National Party MPs should be made to foot the bill for the $90K compensation owed to Dotcom. Pay it out of the party coffers and their bank accounts. In fact, every single lawsuit that can be traced to those arrogant, born-to-rule wastes of skin should be paid for by the National Party, and each MP responsible should have an asset stripped each time. Property, valuables, cash, etc.

In other news, in a me being unintentionally insensitive shocker, there's a kid at my school whom I taught last year. Lovely young man, incredibly well-behaved and just an absolute pleasure to have in your class. Likewise with his best friend, who is a very good-natured young lady. I've got stacks of time for the both of them. He's in Y10 now, but he spent a long period with the Northern Health School. He never struck me as sickly, and his attendance for much of 2017 was actually pretty good, until the last month or so. Having inherited the now unfortunately defunct LGBT support group (a colleague joked that the kids obviously think I'm either nice, or gay, and are correct on at least one count), and he attended those get togethers, along with his best friend, who was there as a support person (on another note, a kid in my form class just showed up once, and just hung out with them, because it was basically "all welcome." A guy in the 2nd XV also used to turn up as well. He wasn't gay, he just liked hanging out with the gay kids.)

So, he's gone for a while, and then suddenly starts attending again. And I see him, and I'm like "hey, what's up!" and all that, because, you know, I like the kid. What I haven't mentioned is that this time last year, he was not a dude, but in fact, a girl. And I called him by his girl name. Oh poo poo. Repeatedly. Double poo poo. A transwoman friend of mine told me that whenever someone misgendered her, or called her by her old dude name, even though she knew it was just a matter of habit, with no malice intended, it really cut to the bone.

A few minutes later, I'm trying to find a kid with the same given name on KAMAR, and find the transboy and I'm like "aw gently caress, I am such a loving piece of poo poo!" and spent the rest of the day feeling awful. I talked to my transwoman friend, and was basically like "forgive me Mother Superior, for I have sinned. Here's what I did. What should I do?"

I did call that evening, and apologised to him. He was very gracious about it, and told me that he could tell that I just wasn't aware of his transition.

At school, I have a reputation among students as being "pretty nice, until you piss him off, and then he's a terrifying monster." My form class kids, if they come to me about any other kids picking on them or anything, they know that I go on the warpath on their behalf, which they jokingly refer to as "summoning the Kraken." My head of house said that I'm like a furious grizzly bear protecting its young. And basically, this boy is the one outside of my form class that falls under that umbrella.

Edit: his science teacher was also completely unaware of his status as transgender, so he has his juniors line up outside his room first, in a boys' line and a girls' line, and he was like "hey, what the hell? Why are you in the girls' line? Get in the right one."

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 27, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bananachin posted:

I'm at teacher's college right now, and have gotten great support (from the university course coordinators, my peers, and the schools I've been to on observation) irt being out and nonbinary, both when I do my six-week placement from May and eventually joining the profession proper. I actually got to visit my former high school earlier this month for observation, and the teacher running the school's "Q Crew" club there asked me to come visit the club and talk to the kids as a former student. I spent four years overseas after I finished my degree, and I'm glad how much better (or open, at least) things appear to have gotten.

This kid is quite lucky in that he has such supportive parents, a good group of friends from last year that may be a bunch of oddballs but will always be super-supportive of him, and a group of teachers that are hyper-vigilant on his behalf.

This is also the first year in quite some time that I don't have any LGBT kids that I'm aware of in any of my classes, whereas last year had a bumper crop (the aforementioned transboy, and my Y12 Media Studies class had 5 - 2 lesbians, 2 non-binary and 1 gay boy).

My form class also had a bisexual boy for years, and a lesbian. Both have finished school, and have now been replaced with a Y9 girl that identifies as non-binary.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I guess I just like to see this sort of thing addressed strongly early on because it only gets looser as the govt goes on, and that becomes the sort of corruption we saw with the last national term.

The problem is that there is a sense of this being a blatant fishing expedition, where the press is out to claim an early scalp from this government. Under National, we'd have had John Armstrong running interference for them by now, declaring the issue dead and buried and nothing to see here now, move on at this point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It’s quite telling that the Herald hasn’t even run a story on Chris Finlayson breaking the law, but are screaming about how Curran is literally Hitler because Hirschfeld lied.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, unless there is evidence that Curran pressured, or in any way influenced, Hirschfeld to lie about the nature of the meeting, then I don't really see why Curran should step down. At this stage, it doesn't seem to be more than speculation and assumptions.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What pisses me off about the flag referendum is that he wasted so much government money on it, while crying poverty to justify funding cuts elsewhere. Mental health? gently caress you, kill yourselves. Public health? gently caress you, eat some slop not even fit for livestock. Education? gently caress you, go to a private school, you poor loving pieces of subhuman shits, how dare you be born into poverty; in fact who the gently caress gave you the right to even exist? Special needs education? Get hosed, retards. Public transport? Drive a car instead so we can indulge in our road fetish. Rape Crisis? gently caress you bitches, maybe try not getting raped next time. gently caress all that poo poo, none of it's important. But hey, we're going to have a new flag, whether you loving like it or not, and I'm only going to consult ex-athletes, and this poo poo is important.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

He definitely knew about the problems, which is why he ran away and quit to try and protect his legacy.

To quote Malcolm Tucker, "No one knew what the gently caress you stood for. Political loving mist. No substance, no weight."

The fact that his rating in the preferred PM poll dropped from the high 30s or whatever to 2% in the first post-resignation poll taken tells you everything about him. He left no tangible positive legacy, nothing that he could hang his hat on and say "yeah, that's a bit of me." Not a single loving thing. Gareth Hughes loving skewered that loving slimy ratfuck oval office, and I honestly hope people throw what he talked about in his face often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3kgvayZhQ

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Buster Garner sweet jesus

Does he have other kids? George Oscar Garner, Lindsay (born Nellie) and Nichael?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

His other two kids are with Mihingarangi Forbes so I'd like to think she prevented him from calling them anything ridiculous or dumb. How Mihi Forbes put up with him long enough to have kids is anyone's guess.

This is honestly disappointing. Surely, Mihi Forbes could aim a hell of a lot higher than Duncan loving Gardner.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rod Emmerson did this in the Herald.

I replied to the tweet he did showing this work with this:

quote:

This sort of cynical crap is quite disappointing, like you're taking pleasure in making GBS threads all over a group of people because of their principles. This is some serious Al Nisbet level garbage, and I honestly expected better of you.

He's now blocked me.

I stand by every word I said.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

lol it's a lovely cartoon and that whole "climate change trumps everything" shtick is annoying but it's hardly Al Nisbet level

Let me just remind you what Al Nisbet level is:

I stand by what I said. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the garage.

And seriously, the rhetoric that Emmerson is suggesting is pretty close to Nisbet, in that it's not too far removed from that ugly cuntsphere that Nisbo resides in. Putting aside his cynical scoffing at the Greens, to suggest that it's somehow some sort of flaw to give a gently caress about social justice that deserves some level of derision is loving pathetic - and it's this sort of attitude that enables the Al Nisbets of the world and allows them to think that their poo poo is acceptable or OK.

And besides, this bullshit cynical approach is typically used by spineless jellyfish who are too loving stupid or too loving gutless to take a stand on an issue, so they try to mask it behind cynicism, which they try to sell as "realism," because they've got nothing intelligent to say.

Yeah, the Greens took issue with something that was questionable. So what, Rod? So loving what? Does that deserve derision and mockery? gently caress off. The fact that he can't even defend the loving thing speaks for itself. And anyone who criticises another for giving a poo poo about social justice, in all likelihood, is a completely insufferable loving oval office.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 11, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The herald opinion piece this morning on how some dude would rather Afghan civilians die instead of kiwi soldiers and we need to give the defense force the benefit of the doubt anyway seems to have disappeared.

It looks like it was retitled. It's now called "Tim Dower: When it comes to military operations, I'm taking the word of our guys"

This morning, it was "Better a dead Afghan civilian than a dead NZ soldier"

loving disgusting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Auckland food can be a mixed bag - you get quite a bit of variety (thanks, immigrant communities), but it can be a bit hit-and-miss. Rotorua has some of the best cafes I've ever been to, on the other hand.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey guys, Brian Tamaki got burned because of a rubbish fire gone wrong. A literal one, I mean, even if it is an apt description of his church.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Which part of it went wrong?

The part where he survived.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've actually seen this kind of thing in the wild, where they simply can't understand how people would perceive comments like that as being homophobic or offensive. It's like this massive blindspot.

Like, this guy I went to school with, he quit his medical studies to become a Presbyterian minister and it was impossible to discuss his objections to Australia's impending Marriage Equality referendum and because he couldn't understand how it was homophobic. He's not stupid, but he didn't have the capacity to accept it into his world view. Like the concept that homosexuality is not a choice, but simply the way a person is, was so alien to him that he wasn't so much as rejecting it, as not being able to process it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Personally, I think saying all gay people are evil and bad is homophobic.

No, you see, it's not homophobic because we're trying to discourage them from making an evil choice, and in embracing this, they cease to be evil and bad, and back on to the path towards heaven. We're trying to show them God's love!

was the sort of argument he kept banging on about, and he couldn't understand why so many people he knows were like "what the gently caress, dude?" or comprehend why someone on the LGBT, etc. scale would take issue with that sort of rhetoric.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, it was utter bullshit, and when pressed on the matter, he never really had a viable response.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, I did it because I thought it would be a funny reminder.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Wait, cuck replaced human being? I thought cuck was short for cuckold.

Wait until you encounter "virtue signalling."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

The national party line has been really dissonant on it in that same way. Their main line is that it's a "borrow and spend" budget but they're also banging on about how National actually spent more and so Labour are failing to deliver even more than National did.

It's probably because it's an opposition fuelled entirely by knee-jerk critical reactions rather than anything that appears to be a well-thought out response to anything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did you have to post a snuff film in this thread? loving hell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

exmarx posted:

the 5 points from gryffindor stuff is funny because the nats could solve it by not making bad interjections

They spent the last 9 years acting like a bunch of unruly hooligans in parliament, with a speaker that went beyond compliant, and was blatantly running interference for them.

It's so gratifying to see them now continuing to act like they were when they were in government, and then squawking with indignation when they get constantly slapped down by a speaker that has no time to brook any of their poo poo, and treats them like the spoiled primary school children that they are.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Hmm I wonder who the greens would go with. Gosh it'd be all up in the air

Yes, but if only the Greens would just consider getting in bed with a party that is reviled by their constituents. I mean, it worked out for the Maori Party, didn't it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xik posted:

And Mana.

Would they even have a chance of getting back in?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xik posted:

My post was supposed to be a reply to yours, party died when they sided with a white collar criminal.

I haven't really followed anything about them since, so honestly not sure if they have a chance of getting back in. Maybe they still have their niche.

At the 2008 election, Hone Harawira kept Kelvin Davis out by around 6300 or so votes, under the Maori Party banner.

At the 2011 by-election, Harawira retained the seat by 1000-odd votes (IIRC, this was triggered by his leaving the Maori Party), and later that year, retained the seat by a similar margin.

At the 2014 election, Kelvin Davis took the seat by around 800 votes, and retained it by almost 5000.

If Mana have a chance of getting back in, it'll be via Harawira taking one of the Maori electorate seats, and honestly, I don't think he'll be doing it in Te Tai Tokerau.

I can see the Maori Party sneaking back into Parliament in 2020, but I wonder how many people would be thinking about Marama Fox's embarrassing display the day after the election. A strong candidate could potentially take the Waiariki seat off of Tamati Coffey, but it'll have to be someone pretty important to Te Arawa.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There needs to be a commission of inquiry into the previous National government, because it’s clear they were not fit to govern.

• Locked thread