Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland is great y'all are haters. Like do you know how many beaches there are in Auckland? And also the weather there is much warmer than Welly, and you don't have to deal with non-stop extreme wind. Wellington is also great though don't get me wrong, just saying don't write off Auckland if your wife is dead set on it. Welly will feel really small after Japan.

Doesn't Dunedin also have a bit of an IT industry now too? Only go to Dunedin if you hate yourself and/or you absolutely must live driving distance to ski fields, though (and even then Auckland and Wellington are just about as close)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Remember that you'll never be able to buy a house in Auckland proper. Prices aren't Tokyo bad, but give 'em time.

To be honest Wellington prices aren't a whole lot better. A three bedroom in Wellington will set you back $700k+ these days, and for inner city you're looking at $1m+

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 20, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

:perfect:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Just live, work and arrange your social life around the train network. It only craps out once or twice a week.

For real, my brother was looking at a house in Kelston, 3br with a section for like 700k and it was like 30mins into the city door to door because it was right by the train station

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Measuring by comparison is dumb because the world as whole is garbage and people too easily believe that "we're better than X" implies that we're fine, when things are far from fine.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 20, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

is everything the same as everything else

Yes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Weatherman posted:

We are very much looking forward to being there instead of here in Glorious Nippon, at least.

e: in this case the grass is literally greener

I'm a kiwi but live in Tokyo at the moment and I'm probably moving back (to Welly) later this year. I'm kinda conflicted tbh, I've loved living here but there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to about being back too. It's nice to have two good options I guess

Wafflecopper posted:

You can acknowledge that NZ is one of the best places in the world to live and that we are all privileged to be able to live here, but also that we are far from perfect and should work on the many issues that we have. These are not mutually exclusive viewpoints, as much as this thread loves to poo poo on NZ.

For sure I don't think anyone would disagree. But also the former doesn't excuse the latter, and yet its mostly when people criticise the country that the old "but Australia/USA/whatever is worse!" gets trotted out as though it absolves us. Which is exactly what happened here - someone said "the only problem" with NZ was the cost of living, someone else reminds him there are a bunch of problems, then its "but compared to..."

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 20, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Xik posted:

At the end of the day, this is the problem:

(Producers don't care about the cost of waste disposal)

I think this is going to be the biggest shift we'll see in the next 10 years, though it's far more likely that consumers will bear that cost instead of producers

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The rumours about Clarke are that he used to deal coke, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There seems to be a lot of expectation management going on ahead of the budget in a couple of weeks and it's pretty clear that the government is going to go back on their election promises in some way - either finding more tax revenue somewhere or (much more likely) lowballing/not delivering on some of their key policy promises. Which makes me wonder why they don't even consider raising govt debt in some way. We have really low govt debt to GDP anyway, and some of the dumpster fires that national left in Health and Education infrastructure are way more pressing than some lovely and arbitrary debt limits

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not rhetorical: what is the issue with raising or not paying back govt debt in the short term? Interest rates would go up a bit I know, but god forbid kiwis actually save a little rather than drastically overleveraging themselves to buy property.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

True, maybe next year then

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dirty Politics II: Attack of the Trolls

Do they really expect this to work in NZ? I think it's more likely to have the opposite effect and people will see him as a good bloke being unfairly persecuted

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Calling someone a second class citizen because they're an immigrant or refugee is pretty close hate speech isn't it?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It isn't specifically but it generally connotes effeminacy and weakness so it wouldn't surprise me if homophobes use it for gay people

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So who else is loving STOKED for budget day?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

New Zealand has some of the lowest income taxes in the OECD, but the government also collects more of its revenue from income tax than the OECD average because our tax brackets kick in so low.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes it is? Inflation has been a pretty steady 2% since the last time the thresholds were adjusted back in 2010, and even if wages have only risen half as fast as inflation then effectively the top tax bracket threshold has lowered by about $5k/year

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Point remains bracket creep is real and we should have inflation adjusted tax brackets, if not automatically then at least by custom each year

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The national party line has been really dissonant on it in that same way. Their main line is that it's a "borrow and spend" budget but they're also banging on about how National actually spent more and so Labour are failing to deliver even more than National did.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I saw a piece yesterday about how, just to keep pace with population growth and inflation, health spending needs to increase 14% over the next 4 years based on current forecasts. Even Labour's $3.2b increase over the next 4 years is actually a decrease in per capita spending in real terms because of how much of that is capital expense. loving 9 years of neglect

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's great to see Jacinda on form like that, but question time is (even more of) a loving joke now that there's no requirement to answer specific questions. Though to be fair National made that bed so it's nice to see them have to lie in it.

Unrelated but Jesus Christ David Seymour continues to be human trash: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12055731

^in which he warns Epsom residents about a social housing project that might house people with mental health issues:

quote:

There is also a chance that some of the future residents will have social and mental health issues who will need to have special support measures in place.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Support, huh? Like a breakfast slot on Newstalk ZB?

I think he means above and beyond the supports that current Epsom residents receieve for their mental health issues, like talkback radio or berths at Westhaven marina

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya I got that and I was trying to make a crack about how rich people generally are mentally ill

both of our jokes are even more funny now that they've been explained

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hmm I wonder who the greens would go with. Gosh it'd be all up in the air

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In actual politics, the Herald and stuff have both broken bits of a fairly damning story about how underfunding in road policing has lead to a massive increase in road fatalities in Auckland

e: and in joke politics, David Seymour is a terrible dancer and watching him make a fool out of himself on DWTS is v funny because he looks so ridiculous

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 27, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Idk, Tamati Coffey is one of Labour's rising stars I reckon. If he can hold Waiariki it wouldn't surprise me to see him in cabinet next time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hi thread, just a reminder that I, the Reverend Brian Tamaki, started a fire in a pile of trash then fell into it. I received burns to my dick, balls and taint.

Thank you for your time.

Could Brian Tamaki light a fire so hot that even his taint couldn't extinguish? Checkmate, theists.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who has done this to me

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hAx4LWJoiIU

Please mystery benefactor, make me a gif of him missing his hip bump, looking to see his partner is like 5m away, then scootching over to awkwardly do it again. 1:07 in the video above.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 30, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"Who am I to stand in the way of this?" asks Paula Bennet from behind the wheel of her SUV as it ploughs into a crowd of people. "This doesn't sound right, this raises alarm bells for me," she says as people shriek in pain and terror. "If I were responsible for this I think I'd be looking at individual cases of harm here," she remarks seriously, stepping out of her car amid broken bodies and horrified onlookers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You guys have totally ruined my joke

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This page has some of the worst posts in this dumpster fire of a thread, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My first few posts in this thread got me called a racist for suggesting our education system is stacked against Maori and Pasifika kids, while one of my last incited some truly terrible posts filled with impotent and nerdy rage

A fitting end

• Locked thread