Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:
Remember last year when it was the left being nasty and personal, and really they should all just stop that personal attack rubbish and get on with discussing the issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

fong posted:

Also regarding the republican movement in NZ, the only strong argument I've ever heard one way or another is that if we lose the monarchy then the Treaty of Waitangi is no longer valid and Maori would have to trust the government to include the same protections and principles in whatever constitution got drawn up. Compared to "national pride" or "gently caress the monarchy" etc on the other side I'm happy with the status quo. Is there a decent argument in favour of being a republic?

That's basically how the Treaty is now though, it has never had constitutional status legally and basically only has force where specific legislation says that it has.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

Spiteski posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11492634

Can anyone shed any light on their defence? Not sure how the Iwi owning it would remove it from rates liability.
Genuinely curious, I have no idea.

Her defense is "I'm following the Maori equivalent of a Sovereign Citizen nutter and lost my house"

klen dool posted:

Maybe if she owed half a million in rates this would have been appropriate, but 11,000? Why couldn't they garnish her wages?

The whole paying rates to a different authority is an interesting argument though - I wonder if there is any precident (legal or otherwise) for Maori answering to a different authority - the treaty of waitangi could be read in that way....
There's Maori freehold land, which her house probably isn't and anyway:

http://prd-lgnz-nlb.prd.pco.net.nz/act/public/2002/0006/latest/whole.html#DLM132768

quote:

Liability of Māori freehold land for rates

Except where this Part otherwise provides, Māori freehold land is liable for rates in the same manner as if it were general land.

quote:

96 Person actually using land liable for rates

(1) A person actually using Māori freehold land in multiple ownership that is not vested in a trustee is liable for the rates on that land.

• Locked thread