Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The rules are broken because my literal child labourers are not legally allowed to use any of the equipment they need to do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fong posted:

Oh its a hosed up industry, I totally agree. What assistance do you think farmers get, though? Fonterra certainly get plenty of help, whole divisions of our diplomacy service are basically marketing & sales departments for them, but the farmers themselves get gently caress all in NZ. The milk-shilling really just puts more pressure on to do more hosed up stuff.
Besides Fonterra/Zespri, there's also the fact that livestock farts alone are 1/3rd of our emissions but the entire agricultural industry is completely, and almost certainly permanently, shielded from the financial pressures of the ETS.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ironically it's probably the lack of subsidies that have done the most damage. Federated Farmers brag about how few (direct) subsidies New Zealand farmers get, and directly attribute the increased growth of the industry - mostly in dairy stock - to the removal of subsidies, even while they admit that in the same breath that actual farm profits are lower. The subtext being that if we hadn't cut off their subsidies, then farmers wouldn't have intensified as much as they did, and their decisions on things like the environment and labour wouldn't be wholly shaped by market pressures out of their control.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't know what more you could want from 100% Pure New Zealand™ other than my assurance that we are fully committed to the aspiration of our rivers one day being safe enough to wade in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Can someone explain to me why they're always mentioning 'ratepayers' and how 'ratepayers will foot the bill' or whatever. Isn't that what rates are actually for? Like, if you pay rates (and other taxes), that's money leaving your pocket regardless of how it's used. You don't lose anything if the revenue is spent on things that aren't somehow directly economically beneficial.
The intended implication is that if ratepayers weren't paying for those things then rates would be lower.

I mean, yeah, you'd still be paying for roads regardless, but your taxes shouldn't be going towards poo poo like building infrastructure and funding development for private companies that don't intend to pay that money back with interest or in dividends.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I just realised that while extending our urban sprawl from Henderson over the Waitakeres to fix our housing prices (it won't) is prima facie bad, it could also mean less farmland and therefore fewer farmers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

While I agree there is some significant regulation that has shaped Auckland's housing market for the worse, National seems to not realise there's any beyond the "hey guys, maybe try not making GBS threads up the entire countryside with loving quarter acres?" local regs. LA is a loving awful city and we really shouldn't be seeking to emulate its sprawl and dependence on motorways.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I haven't been on WINZ for a while now, but I spent a good 5 years doing contract/temp work and every now and then I'd hit a lull and need assistance. I hated every aspect of dealing with them, and they made me attend every idiot 'orientation' about writing a CV and applying for jobs even when I'd done it just three months earlier or when I was only needing assistance for a month before starting a new contract. I would honestly say I spent more time dealing with the bureaucracy of getting unemployment than I did actually getting another job.

Infotainment! posted:

Lol if you don't think John key beigely panders to the pink vote every chance he gets while his south Auckland mps vote against human rights for reasons of "community culture" just like labour.
I would like to pretend that the pink vote hasn't forgotten about his 'sorry, that's just a meaning of the word' defense of using "gay" as a pejorative.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Last I read Rangitoto is the only volcano with a chance of reactivating. If When there's an eruption in the future it's expected to be a new formation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.
:eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

New Zealand Politics - BARONS CYBER SKULL's house raided by police to discover source of thread title leak

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"In order to provide for an increase in Auckland's affordability we are removing Auckland Council's ability to set rates and control land supply, forming the Auckland Housing Authority which will report directly to Gerry Brownlee."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy specifically means the Road User Charge, which cyclists do not pay, and which is about half of the National Land Transport Programme's funding.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Don't get me started on how RUC applies equally to a multi-ton behemoth as it does to a 1.4 kia rio.
Commercial trucks feel the same way about being charged more just because they have a double tyre.
:vince:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's not the same, it's similar. It's called a comparison.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Rabbi T. White posted:

What really appears to be happening there is people trying to do well by the environment with a nice new Golf TDi are being charged the same rate as trucks to subsidize the hauling companies. I have no evidence at all to prove this, but it seems the only logical explanation.
Most trucks will assuredly pay more, not just because they're heavier for hauling purposes, but because features that are identified as to do with hauling like double-tyres and extra axles automatically push you up a grade regardless of how heavy the vehicle is. They also assuredly don't pay their fair share because they do most of the damage, but that's because otherwise we'd never have been able to cheaply privatise haulage off the nationally owned rail system so that we could run it into the ground and sell it cheaply.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How dare she MOONLIGHT on her GOVERNMENT JOB and write a book. She should write books the correct way - on the unemployment benefit - and stop using government money to criticise the government.

Oh wait.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Hamster Man posted:

But muuuuum, I said he was a human being as in a bundle of sticks, haven't you read the dictionary???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjuZAoconQ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't know why you guys are posting Matrix characters that aren't the narcissistic dickhead who sells out humanity for the price of a comfortable lie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

quote:

"Just comparing the results from one year after another does not give a long-term trend on freshwater quality."
Haha loving hell.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Catton for office.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Did somebody glitterbomb her seconds before that was taken, or is she secretly a Twilight vampire?
She may have just killed a teen vampire.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Key lied about when he had information :monocle:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Maybe we'll get lucky and tuhoe will have him for lunch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Left are hypocrites because they criticise me over not speaking out about other nation's human rights violations, but yet then they go and criticise me for trying to supply our allies with troops for a war fought with human rights violations on both sides in which our allies have historically used other nation's troops to circumvent the rule of law. Make up your minds!

I'm going to send troops because it's the right thing to do even if it's not in our direct interests, but I'm also not going to speak out against our allies because that's not in our interests even if it's the right thing to do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The ones the United States commits literally don't count because they don't recognise the Intentional Criminal Court so won't ever submit to it and have permanent veto on the Security Council so can't ever be punished for not doing so.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I misspelt something on the internet :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm staggered nobody has brought up the john key hairdye thing in here.

Grow the gently caress up and do parliament you juvenile cunts.
Why don't you mention it then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Butt Wizard posted:

Also re: Sky City, 50% of the Herald's letters today and basically "John Key is a dick if he gives Sky City any money at all" - hard to imagine they'll ignore that level of opposition if it's got that much traction in something like the Herald.
They've ignored that level of opposition before and it hasn't done anything but put them back in for another term. Why would now be any different?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I especially like that they confirmed tax payer money has been spent on the exhibition, but they aren't objecting to the exhibition just one specific item in it, but also their objection isn't to "the t-shirt per se" because that would make them look like idiot prudes who don't understand that an exhibit costs money to run but the individual items could be from private collections and not cost the museum anything extra to include.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, the person has taken the precaution of giving a false address to the authorities.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think in the grand scheme of things it is worth standing with our allies against the wrongs of the world, regardless of how incidental they are to us as a nation.

I also think, though, that doing so requires a level of selective participation where maybe the question should be asked if we are not simply contributing to more wrongs by doing so, such as the propping up of the Syrian government and endorsement of Kurdish cleansing that the current struggle with ISIS is causing due to the need for local allies, and there's of course the whole point that the whole Terrorism part of the War on Terrorism has grown out of decades of American interference and exploitation of xenophobia about American interference in the area in the first place, so it's just feeding into a cycle of lovely wars, fallen governments, and retreat into extremism.

There are already nations with non-combat training troops on the ground that are engaging in direct combat because how do you tell people who want to kill you that you're only there to train others to fight them? On top of that, we're going to be training the Iraqi army - an army that's already had years of training and equipment from America and is reportedly still the least effective of all the combatants in the field and the largest source of ISIS arms.

We absolutely should be doing peacekeeping and training missions, but we should be doing them with a holistic view of what regimes and interests, both local and foreign, that our actions are supporting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's mostly just goonery, but it would also be nice if the people we hire to shoot and capture for torture foreign nationals at the behest of our golfing partners were in it as a job rather than because they weren't enough of a sociopath to go into politics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

No, I'm just agreeing with a vague sentiment at the beginning of the military bashing that a portion of military recruits, regardless of how numerically large or small it may factually be in the New Zealand army, are there because they want to kill and harm people; and, I don't think they should be given the opportunity to do so. Most of the recruits I would guess are just regular people doing their job and defending the country/securing the world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sorry to have made you laugh, mate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would argue that the government needs to learn that more than the recruits.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's no such thing as a non-combat role on the ground during an insurgency.

The NZDF's role in Afghanistan was reconstruction. They lost 8 people to combat situations in two years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Should pharmacists be free to refuse to supply the morning-after pill to women based on their personal assessment of the morality of it? :can:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm not even going to give them that much credit.

Critical analysis of politics doesn't sell. It's the market, stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The issue is that whether or not he actually did the thing as opposed to failed to be proved he did the thing is completely irrelevant. He was legally exonerated and therefore was jailed wrongfully. All of the necessary facts on his side are already in the government's own records.

• Locked thread