Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh man you're totally right, the way they massively expanded their territory and trade in the 19th century was just an 150 year dead cat bounce. It would be really weird if, between the US war of independence and the mid 20th century, the British took India and large sections of Africa directly as well as seizing almost total control of trade coming from Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Infotainment! posted:

So you deeply believe new zealand should not become a republic?
What. Where the hell did you get that from?

You are saying a historical thing happened, which it did not. I'm telling you you're wrong.

I have no strong feelings on the republican debate. The monarchy's role is purely symbolic at this point, so who cares?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Infotainment! posted:

Of course they're synonymous, as used in conjunction with the metaphor I used earlier of the body writhing. You do understand that an empire doesn't literally die right? That the use of the iconography of "death" is a metaphorical representation of an empire ending/falling/declining.

newtestleper posted:

But it wasn't off the cuff. You were challenged and stood by it. The logic isn;t self evident, and it's not even close to correct. It's not correct to the point that the years known as "Britain's imperial century" started 100 years after you said the empire ended.
How are you not getting this. Over a century of expansion and prosperity is not a decline.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I wonder what a "stalled economy" looks like.

Maybe it's a prime minister who hasn't managed to deliver a single surplus in his entire time in office.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I had a job overseas that would've trained me to do a job that the nation sorely needs, but thanks to John Key's policy changes meant to curb "DOLE BLUDGERS TAKING HOLIDAYS IN BALI" I was forced to return home and do another degree so I can continue sucking off the government teat for four more years, and eventually become the mid-level Wellington beltway bureaucrat this country deserves. The evil of dole bludgers/graduates trying to work in lower-paying fields and countries has again been curbed.

I met John Key once. Dude sweats like a paedophile in a playground. He is permanently moist. There is a miasma around him. Nick Smith too. All the Nats I've met have sweated and smiled too much. It's unnerving. I'm not going to suggest they're aliens dressed in human skin but the thought has occurred to me.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I get to meet Winston tomorrow. Anything I should say to him?

Somfin posted:

Aw, gross, that means he's been touching young girls' hair with moist, clammy hands.

Are we talking 'leaves a visible residue behind' sweat? Or are we more in the 'there is no way you are as comfortable as you are pretending to be' ballpark?
John Key is damp in his soul. There is something about the way he sags that calls to mind a mould-riddled house on the brink of falling down. The air around him is slightly humid, and sticky-sweet. He licks his lips a little too often, and smiles a little too wide; if he were a monkey, I'd think he were about to attack. He is not a monkey, though. He is a man; a man in a perfectly-tailored suit that somehow becomes poorly-fitted from being draped around his strange lumpen body. He is drab, in a way that's almost infectious. He is less a man than a mound of sour boiled cabbage that has learned how to walk.

John Key's entire life is a fart in the elevator of god.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ivor Biggun posted:

[e] SurreptitiousMuffin, if you run into a lull in the conversation just ask Winnie what he thinks of that
Countdown to Winston: 20 minutes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Results: cantankerous, folksy, still puffed-up about his Northland victory, said "not racist but" or equivalent so many times I lost count.

He's starting to show his age. Not an attack on the dude, but it's written all over him that the engine is winding down a little. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah that was the thing. He picked up speed eventually, but he was definitely a bit doddery and wheezy to start out with. I almost felt bad for him.

Tomorrow I'm gonna be on Backbenchers. I have been warned not to call Collins "crusher" to her face, and now that it's in my head I'm gonna have to try really hard not to.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Goon does not understand jokes, hyperbole.

News at 6.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

welp they must be some lovely fuckin' jokes if they are exactly the same as what I read on facebook and here people talk, or see on twitter etc.
Maybe the people on twitter and facebook are also joking. :iiam:

quote:

maybe politics exists on some entirely higher level of irony and joking and I can't comprehend
I like it when people say something ironically but it's true. That's like, double irony. That's a slam-dunk in hipster scrabble. Have you considered the fact that you're the alter-ego of Captain Killjoy? :ms:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nah I didn't manage to get on camera. Kinda disappointed honestly. The people with the huge weed signs were constantly blocking my view. :argh:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Jesus Christ, Andrew Little is already a loving disaster. That budget speech he gave was a total mess. I've already resigned myself to dealing with Key's smug face and horrible sycophants until Jacinda passes the magical barrier of "old enough to be PM".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Not quite a majority iirc, but more percentagewise than any other party except NZ First.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
We had Dr Jian Yang come in and speak to us today. His thing was basically "Chinese people like the National Party, and also other Chinese people. I am a Chinese person in the National Party. Chinese people vote for me because I am Chinese in the National Party."

I did like his bit about how he "replaced" Pansy Wong because there needed to be a Chinese person in the party.

Also, we had Todd Muller yesterday. He was surprisingly charming, and willing to admit that National totally dropped the ball in Northland.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 26, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh, Tokenism's the same no matter what right-wing party you dress. Whether or not he's pro-Beijing is what gets my attention.
It was entirely unclear. He talked in circles for 40 minutes while desperately trying not to say anything that might incriminate him. Dude's so good at waffling, he's an honourary Belgian.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilised tribes."
- Winston Churchill

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

The Master's tools cannot dismantle the Master's house, which is exactly why I advocate for violent Marxist revolution of the proletariat instead of participating in society to make it better. If anything, I actively try to make society worse so that others can realise the only real option for change is not by democratic participation but through armed and violent resistance followed by systemic purges of the upper class.
I think I ran into you at every single student party in the greater Wellington region. Were you the white guy with glasses?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Benevolent Dictator John Key.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I remember NCEA Social Studies. It was almost entirely focused on Maori history and the Treaty. That would be okay if it was covered in any sort of comprehensive detail, which it never was. If anything, it really watered down and underrepresented the British aggression in terms of things like the Lands Act . My knowledge from high school social studies is "British showed up, signed a treaty with the Maori in 1840, we gave women the vote because we're awesome, cut to now."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

I remember going into the Lands Act stuff in 7th form but that would have been only because we did the NZ History syllabus instead of Tudor England or whatever the other choice is.
Yeah, we did the 15th-16th century England one. It was interesting, but I feel like people don't really understand the history of Maori/Pakeha relations and that has a lot of very real knockon effects. There seems to be a general perception from the public that white people showed up, signed a treaty, then some sort of scuffle happened later but it's not a big deal. I don't think teaching about the confiscations, Wi Parata, dawn raids, Bastion Point etc is going to make every racist white kid do a total 180 on the issue, but it couldn't hurt.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, poo poo. I ended up covering a condensed version of it in first-year law and that was a real adventure in learning to hate my country and my heritage. It's just case after case of "lol gently caress the mareeys" until you get to maybe the mid 70s, at which point it becomes case after case of furious "gently caress THE MAREEYS" and then you get to the present and everything is still a hosed up mess, and even our ostensibly left-wing party still don't give a poo poo about our indigenous people. I remember Foreshore and Seabed but I was too young to understand it. Looking back, holy poo poo Helen Clarke what the gently caress.

Labour are responsible for both the Black Budget and Foreshore and Seabed and I really don't know how to feel about that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A good week for JK; in this amazing video if I didn't know better I could swear our Top Bloke PM is trying to invoke Wi Parata to explain why the crown doesn't give a poo poo about native title, which is hilarious because it's the most horrifingly racist verdict in the entire history of the country. Also it's almost 150 years old and has been overturned numerous times.

quote:

In the 1877 Wi Parata case, which involved Māori land at Porirua, Prendergast ruled that the courts lacked the ability to consider claims based on aboriginal or native title. He described the Treaty of Waitangi as ‘worthless’ because it had been signed ‘between a civilised nation and a group of savages’. In his view, the Treaty had no judicial or constitutional status because Māori were not a nation capable of signing a treaty. Since the Treaty had not been incorporated into domestic law, it was a ‘simple nullity’.
If it's unintentional and he just accidentally described one of the most infamous court cases in our country's history ("we use land for a school, then we decide we no longer want to use it for a school ...") then that's even funnier somehow.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
But is he a :10bux: oval office?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Somfin posted:

We'll welcome them as liberators.
For too many years we toiled under Jinny Shupley and Hilun Cluck. Brothers, throw up your hands with me and shout unto the sky "yeah nah yeah."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Wonder if jk is at the rugger right now, necking down some tui and eating some quality burgers
Foreign investor spotted.

Everybody knows jk would only eat Georgie Pie pies. He's that much of a top Kiwi bloke.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Man imagine if NZ had a large Chinese population that had been in the country for most of its history. I'm sure they would appreciate being considered foreigners because they kept their family names.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My High School Principal was called Mister Ching but he was white as gently caress. Like, he looked like a dad from a 50s sitcom. He was one square-glasses buzzcut cardigan wearing dadjoking motherfucker.

Mister Ching is the reason your house is so expensive.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It makes me uncomfortable that the people making these decisions use words like 'baddies' in interviews.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Google 'Eco - Eternal Fascism'. The national party is an enormous group of inbred bastards, but they don't quite hit the markers for fascism. Yet.
You mean Ecco's Ur-Fascism? Googling your thing just got me Daily Mail articles about the GREEN TALIBAN.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm reading a whole lot of poo poo about 'Ecofascism' now and it's pretty hilarious.

"I CAN'T VENT SMOKE FROM EVERY ORIFICE 24/7 THE LIBERALS ARE LITERAL NAZIS".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
We don't want criminals becoming doctors.

That's how supervillains happen.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Put John Key in prison, make him fight Winston. Broadcast to the nation, finally balance the budget.

Pls elect me for pm I got this poo poo on lock

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Privatise the police.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm just gonna go with Swampland here and say "don't y'all dare have 300 posts in a single day and it not be about John Key's horrifying demise in a hair-pulling accident."

you got me so excited

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

quote:

The fact that I was compelled to take a breathalyzer test is certainly on the low end of the spectrum of potential civil rights abuses. The spate of deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of American law enforcement in recent months, and now the death of Sandra Bland, casts a shadow on the notion of what it means to live in the land of the free. Nonetheless, a minor infraction is still an infraction. And in New Zealand, their approach to catching drunk drivers gives law enforcement the authority to act based on the assumption that people are guilty before proven innocent.
Just preserving this wonderful piece of text for posterity.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Getting pulled over for speeding is exactly as bad as the systematic racism that gets black folks gunned down by the very people who are supposed to protect them.

Don't believe me? Well have you heard of this thing called the Corpus Juris Civilis? Justinian would not have stood for this. Also Mabo v Queensland 1992, and the general vibe of the thing, you know?

I rest my case.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm from Nelson.

You may now reassess any positive thoughts you had about it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nick Smith is a ferret wearing a mansuit. I can't believe nobody else has spotted this yet. He even smells like one.

His main opponent is Mike Ward, who bikes around town on a horizontal bike because that's apparently better for the environment. Also it makes you much harder to see in traffic. Mike Ward has been almost-run-over so many times I'm losing count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Notice that her hair is carefully shorn.

She knew JK was coming, and she came prepared.

• Locked thread