Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Glad to be in on the ground floor of a thread for once. I too am looking forward to the day that I can have a beer with John "Low Key" Key.

Ghostlight posted:

Besides Fonterra/Zespri, there's also the fact that livestock farts alone are 1/3rd of our emissions but the entire agricultural industry is completely, and almost certainly permanently, shielded from the financial pressures of the ETS.

And all of the river-poisoning that gets quietly forgotten about. Took a three-day canoe trip on the Whanganui recently, and it was just dead and brown the whole way.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Awkwardly stammer out something about how he should try to tell the truth more often and then tweet Gower about it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

only if it can be a three-way

Attempt to join every handshake he tries to make, all night long. Be really obvious about it, even when he explains to you that it's not funny anymore. Just stare at him, wide-eyed, as you ram your hand into the handshake that is already going on. Over and over and over again. If he actually confronts you about it, explain that at least you weren't on live TV, then wander away, whistling.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Just think if you buy fresh kiwifruit this week it might have been touched by John Key

John Key will be inside you

You will always be having a beer with him

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wandle Cax posted:

Surely the intention of this "publicity stunt" was for TV3 to make itself seem incompetent for hiring 2 terrible nobodies as judges, who proceeded to enrage an entire country and destroy what little hope of a career they had left?

And quite possibly lose the X-Factor, if this latest bullshit has brought the show into disrepute.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
So what is the likely result of this by-election? I don't know Peters' history as well as other folks seem to, and I have no idea what his actual political leanings are.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

dusty posted:

Hangover, beater, stubbies and flag as a cape

Naw dude, I think you missed what he was saying, he wants to wear something a bit different than the daily uniform

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

"Tantalising" is not "titillating"

Tantalising is WAY more worrying than titillating is. Titillating is what gets you off. Tantalising is the forbidden, that which taunts with its unobtainability. He's basically saying that he sees ponytails as a form of teasing.

That John Key touches women's ponytails because he finds them tantalising is basically an admission that he is willingly abusing his power as PM in order to touch women. The fact that he isn't touching them in an overtly sexual area doesn't make it less of an abuse. And the fact that he, John Key, master of smug self-control, does it on camera, to multiple (often underage) women who are unaware of or unwilling to react to his touch, just makes it eery.

What if it was literally any other part of a person's body? What if he called literally any other part of a woman's body 'tantalising' and was filmed touching schoolgirls there on camera while they tried not to react?

I'm not saying he's a power-abusing pedophile. I'm saying that if I wrote a story with a character who touches and fondles little girls' hair just because they're within arms' reach, does so multiple times on live TV, and expects no one to react because he's a right-wing Prime Minister, you would assume he was a power-abusing pedophile.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

The headline should be "pm sexually harasses waitress".

"PM claimed to have been 'tantalised' by waitress he sexually assaulted"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

Awwwww you have me a sad on my heart :( I thought I did a good job.

You did a good job of going the next step and digging into the philosophy behind why that poo poo was definitely an abuse of power and why she didn't say anything at the time. All I had to do was establish the fundamental point of 'yes this definitely counts as sexual, or it's close enough that it doesn't matter, and it probably isn't just an OCD thing.'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

"John Key: Pony-tail pulling 'just horsing around'".

"John Key: Repeated butt slapping 'just men being men'".

"John Key: Breast grope 'just jolly follies'".

"John Key: Hand on thigh 'because I'm PM and she can't say no'".

"John Key: 'That four-year-old shouldn't have had such a tantalising hairstyle'".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

I suspect it's going to be ultimately disappointing and he's going to have a "phoenix from the ashes" glow at some convenient time in the future.

I dunno, 'sexual harrasser' is gonna be a pretty easy sell for people to vote against.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

truther posted:

Am I really in the minority thinking this is blown out of proportion?

It's obvious Key stuffed up - but it does seem when he realised, after the waitress told him, he apologised. What else could anyone do?

To me it just seems like he made a mistake, regardless of whatever his opinion is on touching people's hair, and did what any normal person would do when he realised he should stop.

But now I'm seeing 'sexual harassment' and that he should face legal action. What the gently caress.
I don't want to diminish how uncomfortable the waitress feels but really what else could Key have done?

Not have touched a woman without her consent? Stopped the first time she said to?

He kept doing it even when told to stop. He tried to have his wife take the blame for it. He said it was the waitress' fault for having such a 'tantalising' ponytail. He tried to downplay touching a woman inappropriately as 'just horsing around.' He tried to buy his way out with wine.

At best, he deliberately made someone in a service role feel uncomfortable for his amusement. At worst, he did exactly that while being the most powerful person in the country.

As for the sexual aspect, remove "hair" from the sentence "The Prime Minister fondled her hair repeatedly, even after being directly asked to stop" and replace it with any exterior body part that is not hair. The fact that this might as well be sexual should become rapidly obvious. If it's not sexual, some aspect of touching her must be appealing to similar base urges.

I don't think it's being blown out of proportion, because John Key has built his entire political career on his image of being a nice, approachable guy. That he has this abusive streak in him, this pointless, bullying cruelty toward female service workers, should be trumpeted from the loving rooftops. I don't want a Prime Minister who would act like this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Butt Wizard posted:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/ponytail-saga-herald-changes-its-story-three-times-suffers-meltdown-6298704

Kind of unusual for media outlets in different industries to take each other to task like this but it's pretty funny when it does happen.

So Glucina takes a bullet for Key and suddenly this isn't a discussion about abuse of power, it's really about ethics in journalism journalism.

E: Just watch, the real discussion will be about Glucina, her role in all of this, how the media should treat potential victims. Every reporter in the New Zealand is theoretically an expert on reporting and journalism (for the purposes of their stories), so they'll fall all over themselves calling up Media Studies professors and seeking comment from each other. The sexual harassment case against Key gets quietly settled and by the time the dust clears the only villain will be that evil woman who pretended to be in PR.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

swampland posted:

I call bullshit, why would Glucina purposely sabotage herself for Key? I could understand if we were talking about smearing others for him, but the idea she purposely did a shady news item on this somehow knowing that the waitress would post a preemptive story detailing said shadiness is just absurd.

Maybe she didn't mean to, but the bullet was passing through and she was in the way. The other option is that the waitress' employers were in on it. Either way, that's the cover now. Glucina hosed up, or was hosed over, so now she's gonna be the focus of every editorial that was gonna be about Key until he gets his quiet, dignified Gallipoli shot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Butt Wizard posted:

Occam's Razor says a lovely journalist acted like a lovely journalist and has subsequently got herself and the Herald in a whole swag of poo poo

which will become the focus of the story because the media in NZ are desperate for any chance to salt, pepper, and feast upon the wounds of any other NZ media company.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
John I think you genuinely hurt her feelings

You think so hon?

Yes and you should apologise.

I'll get her a bottle of wine.

I don't think that'll be enough.

Hmmm...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

pro loving click, this is how the rest of the world sees JK now

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Exclamation Marx posted:

this seems like a loving insane thing to broadcast???

Quick! Let's cut away from our studio in New Zealand to Patrick Gower in Turkey so that Gower can talk about a story that takes place almost completely in New Zealand! Also, let's replay a video with only a few hits that Youtube took down, just to make sure that everyone who hadn't seen it can! It's got a fat neckbeard in it delivering an extremely laid-back call to arms! poo poo! NOW THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE SEEN IT! Key! Do you have a comment about this? "Yeah, don't worry about it, I'm a strong and competent leader and because of that nothing is gonna go wrong." Phew! Thank gently caress that we have such a strong and competent leader who cares about everyone in New Zealand. How about the fat neckbeard? Oh, he's a pathetic loner with no friends who probably doesn't even know how to use a knife? Thank gently caress that our enemies are so weak and pathetic.

I thought that the next time we saw Key in the media would be Key looking somber at a Gallipoli ceremony. Turns out, the next time we saw him, he was telling us we were all safe from the friends of the fat neckbeard with no friends, because they are all being monitored by the authorities. Well, at least that surveillance state that Key spent all this time putting together got loving built, and look, now it's paying dividends! We're all safe! Hooray!

Key must be loving scared of this sexual harassment thing if he's gonna pull out the 'why do you care about this when there are terrorists' deflection.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wandle Cax posted:

I enjoyed that video. Next time I have a beer with John there'll be a bit of banter for sure

"Tugging a ponytail" - NZ idiom, emerged in early 2015, meaning to relax and have a beer with the head of state.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Gloriavale website posted:

We chose blue because it's a colour that goes well with any skin colour or complexion
Why the gently caress is this image on their website with the name "Unborn.jpg?"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Exclamation Marx posted:

more to the point, why do they have a statue of Ray Romano from the film Ice Age (2002), Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006), Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) and Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) lurking in the background?

they were gonna have a regular elephant in the room but it wasn't quite old and hairy enough

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Well 2.9 is a LOT smaller than 20, and since we know that this is a Bad Number, a smaller Bad Number is a better Bad Number.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 1, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Oh, and also promising that he won't take public funds to pay for his personal legal costs. How magnanimous.

Three months from now: "Well, those expenditures don't count as 'my legal costs' per se, I was operating under my authority as Prime Minister to transfer funds from the office of the Prime Minister to the office of the Prime Minister, who, at the time of receipt, was not wearing his Prime Minister hat, and would you turn down a windfall like suddenly finding a few million dollars in your bank account? By the way, by stating that I wouldn't use public funds to pay my legal costs, I was implying that I could, which, ha, no-one corrected me on, no takesies backsies."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

Holy poo poo John Key's enunciation is drat near unintelligible in this, particularly at the start. Is it getting worse?

"It's always going to be, you know, a challenging issue, but I think that when New Zealanders get a chance to consider the alternatives, and consider the merits of the argument, it's eminently possible we'll get it over the line."

"Why not just have a yes/no referendum?"

"Because a yes/no referendum doesn't actually take you very far. The people who vote yes will only vote yes if they know what they're moving to."

- John Key, explaining why New Zealanders will be allowed to vote on joining the TPPA flags.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

truther posted:

Sorry I forgot, taxing the people more is the only way to get money.

What alternative method does a governing body have, hm?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

I suspect this is legacy building for key though, he wants to be remembered as the guy that changed the flag not the guy that assaults wait staff.

Or, y'know, the guy who (best case scenario) honestly considered selling out our sovereignty or (worst case scenario) sold out our sovereignty to American corporations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I met John Key once. Dude sweats like a paedophile in a playground. He is permanently moist. There is a miasma around him. Nick Smith too. All the Nats I've met have sweated and smiled too much. It's unnerving. I'm not going to suggest they're aliens dressed in human skin but the thought has occurred to me.

Aw, gross, that means he's been touching young girls' hair with moist, clammy hands.

Are we talking 'leaves a visible residue behind' sweat? Or are we more in the 'there is no way you are as comfortable as you are pretending to be' ballpark?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Red_Museum posted:

Aren't promotional images supposed to make shows look exciting?

It's basically a competition to have the least amount of fun that you can at other people's parties and take pot-shots at their decorating decisions. Any willing competitor is already a lovely person and probably has a massively inflated ego.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Let them come.

We'll welcome them as liberators.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Andrew little on the other hand just doesn't like those Asians :chord:

With the poo poo he's been saying and the lovely ways he's been justifying it I get this feeling like he was at a property auction and was this close to winning it and then some Asian guy with a phone put his hand up and just smashed his offer out of the park and he got really huffy about it

Like seriously how do you assemble a chart where the point is "Boy these names sure sound a bit foreign" and think anything other than "Weird that I spent literally any time on this, even if I'm right I look like a massive racist, I should throw it away instead of signing my name to it" unless you're in the kind of mood where you'll seriously consider massive racial conspiracies

I just don't think that "How about y'all gently caress off back to China" is a great policy for Labour to be focusing on right now

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

focal ischemia posted:

what made labour stop banging the "well-enforced capital gains tax" drum and start banging the "loving chinese" drum?

My hypothesis: Labour got a new backer who's really into property investment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Asians actually are underrepresented in terms of MPs. :tinfoil:

How did you determine "Asian-ness?" Was it by actually checking self-reported ethnicity? Or was it by looking at last names and saying "Yeah those like like chinamen to me."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

So a guy in the bar, about his 60s, up and says to his mate that 'I don't care that National's giving the country to the Chinese. Better than Labour giving it to the Beneficiaries."

God forsake this country.

looks like we have become a mighty host

a mighty fine host that is

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Which is great as we are supposedly an advanced civilisation or some poo poo but you know, killing people, stealing poo poo that ain't yours or beating the poo poo out of people ain't cool and has an effect that requires at least a sense of adequate justice.

Maybe adequate justice shouldn't be thought of in terms of suffering but rather in terms of fixing the problem that led to the initial grievance?

Or making up for it somehow?

How does the sacrifice of years of one person's life make the world a better place? Like, in the best case, it makes the world less of a bad place but I don't see how it fixes anything.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

How would you suggest a serial child rapist/murderer 'make up for it'

I don't know. Maybe they can't. Surely you can agree that making that person suffer in response doesn't actually help anything?

echinopsis posted:

Some people literally just thing bad thing needs to be punished. A lot of prison is driven by the simple concept

Who benefits from the punishment?

Why does our view of punishment default to 'stay in this box for X years?'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yeah no. If i was a parent in that situation I'd pretty much want him to suffer forever

How would that help anything, though?

Cumslut1895 posted:

You can go too far in the other direction and end up with Anders Brevrik playing his PlayStation and working on his PhD when he should have been executed

You're trying to tell me that a prisoner having fun makes things worse? You're trying to tell me that a prisoner getting an education makes things worse?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Cumslut 1895, a serious question: What do you think the purpose of the justice system is?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

3) Allow victims to have at some sense of revenge* by ensuring their victimizers are suffering to some degree

*Important to stop feeling helpless

I actually do agree with you on the first two points.

Why this last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

Seeing the people who did horrible things to them hurt makes people feel better. People don't like to admit this, but it's true. and I care more about the victims than the perpetrators.

Why do you think that is true of everyone?

Why should we not aspire to be better than this?

Why should we, as a society, cater to the assumed sadism of victims?

• Locked thread