Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Oh hey, I wonked around my granddad's farm in Helensville until I hit 14. Never got paid, though.

Come to think of it, my family never paid me for anything. Digging ditches, fencing, amateur landscaping, all pro bono.

I think all I learned from that was that hard work should be avoided whenever possible. Took a long time to shake that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

I live literally around the corner from Metiria Turei, she's awesome as hell and I would vote for her except I'm an immigrant and a convicted felon

So you're basically Bender if he was human and into inbreeding

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Auckland housing 9th least affordable in the world.

Shut the gently caress up, Californians who whine about costs of living.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I have an enormous urge to shoot somebody now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Do I gotta bitch about the job market and the neo-liberal inter-generation exploitation here too?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Nah. My only mate my age who isn't destitute is in IT. 100k a year, has a house and no other debts. Pretty :suicide: stuff really.

Was nepotism involved?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Makes me depressed in a bad way.

Oh. What, me or the general situation?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Good on him.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I've always wanted to burn down the homes of the rich. Having a volcano do it en masse would be an acceptable substitute.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

i work in IT and still can't really afford to rent anymore. where is the heavy taxation of property investment and hey how about some rights for renters to have a habitable house

That doesn't sound like something that would benefit the friends of John Key, who he most certainly sits down and drinks beers with.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I don't understand how the biggest fuckhead in nz can possibly be so famous/infamous. I just don't get it. Why can't he just cease existing?

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

In 40 years time we'll decide "gently caress maybe trams were the way to go after all" lather rinse repeat

By that point we'll have sold our energy suppliers to whatever oil baron fueled Key's drinkie fund.

Just in time for fossil fuels to run out!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I am. Everyone should be. If more people rode motorbikes Scooters, there would be less traffic congestion and greater driver awareness of motorbikes Scooters which would cut down on accidents a lot.

Motorbikes wake up the entire loving neighbourhood at 2am. gently caress Motorbikes, ride something fuel efficient for a change.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

When I was getting my degree, I was frequently the only non-foreign student in the class. Do you know what that means? It means without all those foreign students, a lot of our tertiary programmes wouldn't even be able to exist due to low numbers. Eat poo poo Winston.

Oh hey, almost the same here. I was the token white guy in my business group.

It's almost like Winston has a point to make, something about a lack of regulation, undermined wage rates, high unemployment...

quote:

New Zealand [...] is dominated by neo-liberal, profit-obsessed, shallow and money hungry politicians who do not care-

... clearly, it must be :siren::frogsiren: Foreigners!! :frogsiren::siren:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

swampland posted:

John Key should have just brought out some of those famous NZ artists who love the right wing as a counter balance

All three of them?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

In recent history, huh? As in the last eight or so years?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

swampland posted:

No one in new zealand even knows what the gently caress neo liberal means

It means a state of enjoying rugby and drinking beers with good blokes. Weren't you paying attention?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

If John Key is anything in The Matrix it's

Nah

I mean, minus the hacking skills.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Reminder there's a Maori bloke in the Matrix who seems to be having the time of his loving life. He's got this constant "HOLY poo poo I'M FROM NEW ZEALAND AND I'M IN A MOVIE" face on. It's great.

Coulda used him in the Star Wars Prequels

GEDDIM DAD GEDDIM

FIYAH

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Considering what happened in France, people're probably pretty drat jumpy about armed dudes in public.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Not sure how it's going to be a warning for Key, he's already demonstrated he can do whatever the hell he wants and the general public will still think he's a beer drinking, rugby playing sort.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nope.

Anyone going to the Young Professionals meeting down Queen street tomorrow?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm not sure I count as young anymore so I tend to avoid these things.

Sucks man, it's cocktail night.

Slavvy posted:

Grow the gently caress up and do parliament you juvenile cunts.

Are you referring to us? Because doing Parliament in NZ would kick rear end; kickbacks all day, constant vacations...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

sweet, time to buy phosphorous futures!

You joke of course, but phosphorous reserves and especially phosphate fertilisers are in a loving state at the moment, it's bad poo poo

My granddad was ahead of the curve as always :smug: he allowed his farm to trial phosphate pebbles. Slower gains in fertility, but larger maximum gain over time, and it didn't poison the river when the rains came.

Infotainment! posted:

Immediately. :colbert:

:colbert::hf::colbert:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

I graduated with a Commerce degree mid-recession and was single, it wasn't such a dumb option but thanks to some genetic fuckery I wouldn't have been accepted.

Same, just with an Accounting Degree. I didn't have DNA donkery, I was just chicken about being shot in the stomach at the behest of the UN, five thousand miles from home.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

Yea I went back and got NZICA papers instead and now I'm doing it all over again trying to find my second job out of uni. The economy might be doing OK but it seems like firms are much leaner than they used to be.

Yeah, with the current deregulative atmosphere of the business sector and slashing of employee protections, employers tend to have all the means and manners to construct an enormously exploitative environment.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Even for the BAS, you're looking at 400+ accountants applying for a position. Add to that that if you're a recent-ish graduate, at least half of them will have about 4-5+ years of experience over you.

It's times like this I'm thankful for the strict gun laws we have here. Suicides would be through the roof if they were relaxed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Varkk posted:

There was a big announcement this afternoon on compensation for David Bain...

Apparently he has to 'prove his innocence'.

There is something incredibly worrying about that sentence.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He never needed to prove his innocence, they needed to prove his guilt and couldn't do so. They got an innocent man into jail because someone needed to take the fall for a high-profile case.

And the public believed it, because he has a mental illness. Makes you wish you could butcher the panel and string their leathery carcasses outside the high court building.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

dusty posted:

left many participants literally shaking.

Was this before or after they logged back into tumblr?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If you blend into the scenery set by that ATM next to the Queen-Customs street ANZ, I think that's a pretty good benchmark.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Generally, if you're going to mix NZ politicians and insipid radio hits, you should at least put a little effort into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXc87N5i4uU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

No mention of Scribe?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Totes would watch an M-rated Mickey mouse cast murder movie.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That extremely low voter turnout in the last election becomes less mysterious by the day.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The only cancer it cures is the ruling class.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Not very often I think "All that photo is missing is an armed hand grenade."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Flash a $10 note and ask him how much legislation you can get for it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

Spoken like someone who's never tried to drive to the Coromandel in summer.

Try Whangamata. I've counted at least one present crash and evidence of one recent crash each and every time I've been up there.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Where I come from, we didn't even have roads! We had to ride horses to get to school each day! And then eat them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Execute the ruling class

• Locked thread