Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

awesmoe posted:

how can a granite orb worship satan thats just stupid

The orb is a conduit for Satan's power, it doesn't do the worshipping. Like how you pray at an altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

welp they must be some lovely fuckin' jokes
They are, this thread(and most of this subforum) has never had anything funny posted in it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What do you suggest we replace democracy with?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The Master's tools cannot dismantle the Master's house, which is exactly why I advocate for violent Marxist revolution of the proletariat instead of participating in society to make it better. If anything, I actively try to make society worse so that others can realise the only real option for change is not by democratic participation but through armed and violent resistance followed by systemic purges of the upper class.

This is all correct.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TCT posted:

Hay whats the chances of our wealfare system getting as bad as the uks, Sanctions causing people to die of starvation, Socials housing completely gone, General hate of the disabled, every one freezing to death

Because that poo poo causes me to wake with terror sweats

Probably fairly low, Key hasn't really shown much inclination for the real hardline austerity that the Tories in the UK have been doing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If they change their political beliefs, no one will be able to call them fascists any more, and where's the fun in that?

National aren't even vaguely in the same ballpark as any kind of fascist party, and it's stupid to call them that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

cult of personality based around strongman mythos
harassment and interference of/with journalists
propaganda/media control strategy
mass surveillance and expansion of spy powers
corporatism
control of the population by way of the bullying/othering of minorities

They don't have the first one(unless you think that having a leader who is popular within the party is a cult of personality), the next 3 are found in many kinds of political movements other than fascism, and I don't think you know what corporatism means, because National aren't corporatist. They don't have any particular conception of the nation state as an organic entity, they don't have any kind of palingenetic element, and they're not ultranationalist, things that fascist movements(as well as most almost fascist movements like Peronism or what have you) have.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Google 'Eco - Eternal Fascism'. The national party is an enormous group of inbred bastards, but they don't quite hit the markers for fascism. Yet.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Eco's definition, iirc most of the Fascism literature uses a narrower and more specific definition than he does(although even if you use his criteria it's clear National don't meet it).

I was just drawing some parallels in response to someone claiming that they aren't even "vaguely in the same ballpark" since I felt that was an attempt to minimise serious issues with the current government.

They suck but in a fairly standard neoliberal way that is totally distinct from Fascism.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm reading a whole lot of poo poo about 'Ecofascism' now and it's pretty hilarious.

"I CAN'T VENT SMOKE FROM EVERY ORIFICE 24/7 THE LIBERALS ARE LITERAL NAZIS".

There's a lot of dumb crap been written about how green parties are Nazis or whatever, but there really was a 'green' contingent of the Nazi party and there are some modern fascists who have tried to bring that back as a way of making fascism acceptable to environmentalist types. this article is good and relevant: http://revolutionaryecology.com/2013/12/05/j-sakai-the-green-nazi-an-investigation-into-fascist-ideology/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't accept that fascism and neoliberalism are totally distinct(the opposite is true) and I also don't accept that politically motivated harassment of journalists by the police, for example, is standard neoliberalism.

Neoliberalism and fascism are clearly linked but not the same thing. The second thing is pretty common, the UK, the US, and I'm sure you could find other examples.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So now we have two right wing parties as our two main parties? Cool.

How did this post from the 80s get here?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Seeing the people who did horrible things to them hurt makes people feel better.

*Citation needed

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

English has always been a cardboard cutout.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Parasitic internationalist shylocks? Is Prosser trying out for the National Front?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That's because NZ music is 99% uninspired "Oh god i need to break into the US market" trash these days MATE

There's actually some cool stuff that is recognised and appreciated by overseas people, like our weirdo noise scene or our metal scene for example, but basically none of that stuff gets any interest from whoever is in charge of NZ music month, and so people in NZ don't really know about it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jacobin posted:

Just on the general appreciative note,

I don't know many Maori words or that many concepts off hand but there are a bunch I really dig and occasionally bring out

TAIHOA! to basically mean SLOW DOWN - with the idea someone is being rash and moving too quickly for their boots -I find particularly stirring.

I have remarked upon seeing a Woman doing an impressive feat that she is a Wahine Toa and I find this phrase both sexy and strong and is fitting for a strong woman and I received a positive response from this

The concept of mana also really embodies a particular kind of respect that isn't quite the same as 'respect' and I like it

I also occasionally, when I am hungry, think "I need to feel my puku" and rubbing my belly conjures this word to my conciousness

Enjoy the maori language everyone, in whatever goon way possible :>

are you drunk mate

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here? How is that racism? Dutch isn't a race (yes, I know 'race' isn't actually a thing, shut the gently caress up), it's a nationality. I realise that racism is fundamentally illogical and retarded but I always thought it was about some vaguely defined idea of biology as opposed to national origin; a way of justifying why you hate someone for their looks, as opposed to their flag.

Even most neonazis don't talk about biological race anymore, they're all about how different 'cultures' can't coexist.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sid Holland was pretty bad too.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

"How many fuckin' leaves are there on this fuckin' thing?"

There's actually only 1, each fern frond is one really large compound leaf.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

There's always going to be poverty.

*zizek voice* ideology

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Are they really dumb enough to try replacing him? i mean i don't think anyone else would be as popular, even if his 'brand' has been damaged recently.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The whole graph just seems racist and pointless. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a graph with economic divisions or something, like categorising students based on how much their parents make? It doesn't really tell you anything except that poor schools are filled with maori and pacific islanders, when the problem is that poor schools are filled with poor people. Or is it meant to show that high decile schools are racist? Or what?

hmm, there couldn't be a relation between socio-economic status and ethnicity could there

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spiteski posted:

It's also a poem that was written about Australia's flag, not ours.

present day monarchists would be a lot cooler if they wanted to bring back the divine right of kings instead of lame constitutional monarchy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One time I came across this weirdo niche forum for reactionaries, and they had this really cool feature where under everyone's avatar there was a little box saying what your ideology was. there was one guy who was a Bonapartist

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i opened this and physically recoiled from the screen while closing it

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

what is it with the NZ right-wing and stealing Eminem as background music

he's a white rapper, so they can pretend they're down with the kids who like rap while also not having anything to do with black people

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's worth noting that the Maori kingship is an elected title, even though it has in practice been given to descendants of the original king.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

truther posted:

Bernie actually seems to be doing drat well. It's a grassroots campaign but he seems to pulling in tens of thousands with his talks in various cities. It all comes down to exposure though.

The real problem is the timing of the democratic debates, it's preventing him from debating Hillary - his only real contender - and it seems obvious he'd kick her rear end.

It actually has to do mostly with support from the party establishment.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

actually, the lion assad is superior to any imperalist western leader

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One time when I was at the Warehouse they had dirt that had been coloured red to match the Warehouse's colours

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Note that it's an interim ban while the FLBR reviews its status based on the complaint, it's a standard process that they go through. The book hasn't been banned indefinitely or what have you, and it's unlikely in the extreme that it will be banned outright, it's more likely to be given a restricted classification(which can't go above R18). Most of the books banned outright here are stuff telling you how to commit crimes or kill people.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

Our welfare system, social justice and freedom are primarily for Kiwis . We need to fiercely protect it. It should be and can be a model that others follow. Demographics is destiny and people are rightly concerned that if our demographics are significantly altered our destiny will be too. Why are these people fleeing their countries? It is their own people they are fleeing from.

agreed, the organic unity of the nation state must be maintained

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the national front should try recruiting from the stuff comments, they'd get a lot of new members that way

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

Correction:

lol

Flag referendum: Just Do It.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

iirc we're pretty strict on letting musicians with convictions enter the country to play shows, other people have been denied entry before.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It will destroy a lot of fish livelihoods, because they won't be able to find work as human food anymore.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

We could just leave the nuclear stuff to Australia, they were starting to do some really good work with Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor research.

And then, y'know. Tony Abbott, research that would benefit people that aren't him. Oil, water.

iirc a lot of people in different places are doing research into thorium reactors, but because there's no way of using them for weapon production they were neglected for normal reactors back in the day so the technology is like 60 years behind, and there's not that much interest in funding it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's actually good to talk poo poo about Trotsky, and it was cool when Stalin had him killed with an ice pick.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's not very surprising that 'progressive liberals' are racist.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Unions are bad because they subvert the power of the meritocratic business owner class, and a pooling of power to production workers is of course the requirement for a communist revolution and then we'll all be the USSR with broken factories and lines for bread because idiot factory workers don't know how to run a stockmarket.

The USSR was good actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Good god. How is it we live in a universe this loving terrible and crap?

That's a parody article.

• Locked thread