Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Auckland housing 9th least affordable in the world.

Shut the gently caress up, Californians who whine about costs of living.

San Francisco and San Jose, CA are tied for the 4th least affordable cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

LA is cheaper though.

It is actually more surprising LA is so high on the list, it wasn't considered one of the most expensive US cities (compared to NYC, SF and later DC) for a while. For a long time LA was considered pretty cheap because it was so huge and had a ton of suburbs and considerable urban blight in its center, especially after the 1992 riots.

I guess the funny thing I heard Auckland is more or less the LA of New Zealand, concrete and subdivisions.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dusty posted:

US housing is really cheap. Just watch any diy show from the states - people can buy a 4 bedroom house just off sunset boulevard for $450k USD.

loving boomers, loving landlords, loving ratepayers' associations.

These are also the same selfish cunts who are going to demand bailouts in 20 years when Sth Dunedin, Kilbirnie and lower lying areas of Auckland are abandoned due to rising waters.

So how much if a 3 bedroom house in good shape in a decent neighborhood in Auckland?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dusty posted:

About a million NZD (800k USD) for a 3 bedroom in a middle class suburb

Yeah thats quite a bit more than LA (I would say 400-600k), what is a common wage for a service industry job in NZ? If anything that seems pretty comparable to DC/NYC/SF but Auckland is part of a considerably smaller metro area.

I know there was quite a bit talk among Americans about moving to NZ because it is "pretty and liberal" but seems like there is more going on then they think.

• Locked thread