Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Of course English blames "too much regulation"

He was also complaining last year about Auckland City Council rules that specified a minimum of 40sqm for new apartments. So he only has the interests of the people at heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Conservative millennials are going to be worse than the boomers by the time they're 40.

Boomers at least can remember what life was like before the 80s / 90s.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Has anybody considered the possibility that it's a pair of bogan teenagers dressing up scary "just to piss people off"?

Because I was a bogan teenager and I totally woulda done something like that if I'd been only a tiny bit stupider.

There's a deleted Facebook page that looks to me like some sort of art project.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:e2PAOqe-yt0J:https://www.facebook.com/twinsofatticus+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Freshwater quality continues to deteriorate, Nick Smith splitting hairs over whether the specific data set is representative or not.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/environment/news/article.cfm?c_id=39&objectid=11393840

quote:

Two-thirds of more than 160 monitored river swimming spots in New Zealand have been deemed unsafe for a dip.

Information released to the Green Party by regional councils and unitary authorities showed 66 per cent of the sites had a Suitability For Recreational Grade (SFRG) of either poor or very poor during the 2013/14 summer.

The data covered all of the country's monitored rivers except for those in Auckland, Waikato, Northland and the West Coast, where councils did not use SFRG indicators in the period.

The Greens claimed there had been a deterioration over recent years, with reports from the Ministry for the Environment showing 61 per cent of monitored spots were unsafe for swimming in 2013, compared with 52 per cent in 2012.

Last night, Environment Minister Nick Smith said neither he nor the ministry had been able to properly assess the figures, but felt they should be treated with caution.

"Just comparing the results from one year after another does not give a long-term trend on freshwater quality."

Dr Smith also felt it would be "false" to draw conclusions around the country's overall freshwater quality from what he considered a "narrow data set" that wasn't representative of all freshwater bodies.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

PMO was told about Sabin at least a couple of weeks earlier than was originally stated

Grats on the star. Unless that's old news and I've just been oblivious.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

that was only the second-most interesting thing Winston said yesterday, he also all but outright claimed that Sabin got done for domestic violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3WeDiyRSjw&t=240s

linked directly to what he said, but the whole thing is good (terrible) for how obfuscatory the Nats are about it.

How long can the police inquiry drag on before they have to publish a result?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

If you mean revealing the details, maybe never? If it is a DV case then name suppression might have been the right thing to do, in order to protect the victim.

I was more thinking of how long it will take them to decide if they're going to charge him with something. I'm assuming this inquiry is a preliminary to that decision, if not then I'm very confused.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Wizard posted:

Come play "spot the fuckwit blaming ISIS" on the NZ Media's Facebook comment streams. Fun for the whole family!

I'm sure we shall all be murdered in our beds.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jacobin posted:

In other news drivers taking it upon themselves to aggressively confiscate the keys off of tourist drivers deemed terrible vigilante style is now an established thing particularly in the SI

Countdown until a New Zealand citizen / permanent resident has their keys taken because they look Asian.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

No it's pretty stupid to throw away your vote on a third candidate with no chance of winning, sorry. Especially since it splits the vote and causes probably the candidate they would feel least represents them to get in. I think most people in the thread understand MMP though.

We really need preferential voting.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Exactly, the STV system should be used for the candidate vote. That would probably make things too complicated for people to understand though.

That will always be the argument against it, the counter is that the sooner we switch the faster we'll get the populace acclimated to the new system.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobbilljim posted:

I guess he still has this role?

quote:

Attorney General Christopher Finlayson will assume the portfolios of Minister Responsible for taking the blame when the GCSB gently caress up

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vulcan nerve pinch applied incorrectly

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Wizard posted:

I know you guys don't like John Key and he can't hammer a nail for poo poo, but....loving hell

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-shocks-as-he-eats-a-raw-onion-whole-20150313-143syz.html

is this satire? I can't tell.

Nobody told the alien parasite driving him that humans don't eat onions raw.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

lol if you still own a tv like some kind of lumpenproletariat.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fong posted:

Hate to tell you but Tru Bliss didnt even have originality going for them. Spice Girls were formed via talent/reality show.

Everyone copied The Monkees

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

Lorde sent the contestant cupcakes :3:

also, if/when some despicable political news comes out tomorrow, please remember that that's what the 1080 formula story was originally planned to run interference for.

In unrelated news name supression for a prominent New Zealander is scheduled to expire on the 19th, or "until the appeal is heard" according to the Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11404727

5pm March 19th according to Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/66400646/Prominent-New-Zealander-in-court-on-indecent-assault-charges

6 o'clock news broadcast tomorrow might be interesting.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gotta get that budget surplus somehow

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Winnie alleges a National party coverup

http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/winston-peters-nats-covering-up-sabin-issue-2015031918

quote:

Winston Peters took his Northland by-election campaign to his hometown of Whananaki today.

The New Zealand First leader used his personal "paradise" to launch a political attack at the town hall, accusing National of covering up why MP Mike Sabin left Parliament.

"They are still trying to shut it down as we speak," he says.

Mr Peters says the National Party knew before the election of a police investigation into Mr Sabin.

"That's why $1 million is being spent on this by-election, to cover up that mess."

He also accused his opponent Mark Osborne, who was the local party treasurer and a friend of Mr Sabin's, of knowing about Mr Sabin's issues.

But Mr Osborne denies the allegation.

"The reality of it is I knew nothing until the end of last year, and they are only rumours, and that is what they are still," he says. "I still know nothing about the details."

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Byelection is on the 28th so if breaching the supression order on a "prominent New Zealander" would have any effect on this election then the news will have to come out in less than a week.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Gough Whitlam last year, now Malcolm Fraser. Bob Hawke best look to get his affairs in order

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11420488

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I'm out of touch because I don't live in Auckland for the adorable harbour lifestyle, I dunno. It seems like Auckland has lots of shoreline real estate that could be turned into something pretty and grand but everyone fixates on the harbour. I don't see a good outcome here because it's the only port for container ships in Auckland, and Auckland is a relatively big city which is growing rapidly and will presumably need more cargo capacity eventually.

As I understand it from the debate some time ago the argument was that either POAL needs to expand to accomodate growth or all the container shipping business has to start moving to Tauranga. Given that POAL is owned by the ARC it makes economic sense for the region to expand / upgrade the port however people feel that an expansion of the port would be bad because of the environmental and aesthetic impact. Personally I think they should go for it but I'm not sure that's a popular opinion.

[e] Stuff article from last month about it: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/66025016/the-auckland-port-how-big-is-too-big

bobbilljim posted:

I couldn't give a flying poo poo about the port tbh, and it looks like I'll never be able to buy a house at all, let alone one near the cbd. lol

I don't think people realise how hosed the housing situation is at the moment in the big cities. Or how much of our future productivity is being locked away in servitude to the banks.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 20, 2015

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

truther posted:

To be frank I think local MPs are completely useless. Apart from attending public events I can't think of anything they actually do.

I presume they do a lot... I just don't see or hear about it.

If you're old and write a lot of letters you can sometimes get them to lobby on your behalf to government and local body departments if they think ignoring you might generate bad publicity.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Wizard posted:

The best thing that could happen for New Zealand in this campaign would be if the candidates involved crashed their cars into each other then got out and started fighting while someone recorded it for YouTube

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Might be the wrong thread but 2Degrees just announced they are buying Snap. The New Zealand telco industry just got a little bit smaller.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/67477154/2degrees-buys-telco-snap-in-step-towards-full-service

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What the hell is Snap?

Christchurch based ISP. Not sure if they're that big outside of the Christchurch / Wellington area.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

blokes man JK on track to deliver 2x rugger cups and 1x cricket cups

We'll choke, we always choke.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Red_Museum posted:

3News Poll has Winston on 54% in Northland. Looks like he's picked up a few Labour voters.

Stolen from the Internet

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I had a conversation today that made me think of you guys. The person I was talking to is pretty high on my list of biggest all-time fuckwits I've ever met in my life.

Fuckwit :haw: LOOKS LIKE WE'RE GOING TO THE FINAL WOO (he literally shouted this at an empty workshop)
Me: :geno: ...
:haw: I take it from your reaction that you aren't a cricket fan.
:geno: it's a stupid sport blah blah
:haw: well if you aren't happy that we won cricket, you should be happy for the country
:geno: ....the country?
:haw: yeah man. new zealand is so linked to sports that when one of our teams does good, we all do good!
:geno: how do you mean...?
:haw: well the economy gets better, everyone gets more productive, people just have more enthusiasm and stuff! you know?
:geno: I don't know what you mean. I don't feel more productive?
:haw: well I'd say about 70% of the country do!
:geno: so...what....you think people are going to work overtime and poo poo because we won a cricket match? don't you think new zealanders should be concerned about more important poo poo than sport?
:haw: slavvy I think you just don't understand that kiwis need a certain work-leisure balance and sports are what helps people with that:smug:

He's now at the top of the list.

Was that person Jonathan Coleman, minister for sport?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

Confirmation in picture form.

Damnit, with Winston ahead in Northland there's no hope of him spilling the beans on what Osborne knows about Sabin's problems.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobbilljim posted:

not sure why he didn't chow down on those vegetables skin and all though??
Maybe someone told the lizard people which foods are usually eaten raw.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The National party could end all this idle speculation and comment on the issue that forced Sabin to quit. Even if it's a bit personal just a vague word or two to calm things down

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 26, 2015

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hooton's article pretty much seems to be "Nats knew".

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/sabin-clock-keeps-ticking-key

quote:

Sabin clock keeps ticking for Key

Of course, National might still win.

Year after year, John Carter’s Northland electorate won internal party plaudits for its huge membership. For this weekend’s by-election, no less than the economic development, regulatory reform, science and innovation, tertiary education, skills and employment and associate finance minister took full personal control of the campaign. Pretty much the whole cabinet was whisked in by ministerial limo.

The Public Finance Act was assaulted with election bribes. John Key cut short his state visit to Japan to hit the mean streets of Moerewa. Dark stories were told about the risk to Tim Groser’s free-trade agreement with Korea if National were to need the support of UnitedFuture’s Peter Dunne.

Luckily for National, the Labour candidate’s name remains on the ballot paper. Maybe there’s some methodological flaw in Wednesday’s TV3 Reid Research poll that gave the edge to Winston Peters.

Sigh of relief
At the time of writing, National had also been spared the full story becoming public about the resignation of former MP Mike Sabin. Those close to Mr Peters suggested he would return to Wellington before the by-election to reveal all under parliamentary privilege. Instead, the NZ First leader elected to stay in Northland talking about his proposal to expand the port at Marsden Point, a referendum on cannabis and his forthcoming bill to remove name suppression from alleged paedophiles if victims say they don’t want it and to launch a register for parents to check there are no sex offenders in their neighbourhood.

No doubt there was a sigh of relief at National Party Headquarters. But that may be short-sighted.

Arguably it would be better for National had the full Sabin story become known well before by-election day.

Fragments are on the public record: that Mr Sabin has been under police investigation since August, that Mr Key was “happy” for him to remain chairman of the law and order select committee overseeing the police budget while that investigation was under way, and that Mr Sabin resigned “due to personal issues … best dealt with outside Parliament.”

Mr Sabin himself is no longer that important: the police and any other relevant arms of government will now deal with him as they see fit.

But Mr Key’s government stands accused of somehow covering up after Mr Sabin, with Labour leader Andrew Little going so far as to say he believes Mr Key is lying.

That is not entirely implausible. Although NBR has been unable to substantiate allegations the National Party top brass knew all about Mr Sabin as far back as before the 2011 election, police commissioner Mike Bush has made clear that he and his officers did not “drop the ball” when it came to informing the Beehive about the Sabin investigation in August.

Mr Bush has not commented further.

The Beehive line is that Mr Bush told police minister Anne Tolley about the investigation in August – and her successor Michael Woodhouse after the election – but didn’t name the MP concerned. Nor, we are meant to believe, did Ms Tolley or Mr Woodhouse ask.

The Beehive will not answer questions about whether or not either passed this information to Mr Key or his office. Answering such questions, according to chief of staff Wayne Eagleson, would violate the privacy of natural persons.

Public duties
If the Beehive’s account of the Sabin matter is true, then Mr Key’s government has become deeply dysfunctional. Reflect on the type of conversation we are being asked to believe happened, just weeks before a general election:

“Minister,” says Mr Bush, “you need to know that we’re investigating an MP for assault.”

“Cheers,” says Ms Tolley. “Thanks for letting me know.”

Given the proximity to the election, Ms Tolley in fact had a public duty to ask the commissioner who was involved. Was it Mr Key or David Cunliffe, the candidates for prime minister? Was it Bill English, David Parker or Russel Norman, the candidates for finance minister? Or Murray McCully, David Shearer or Mr Peters, the candidates for foreign minister? Maybe Judith Collins or Mr Little, the candidates for justice minister?

Even if Ms Tolley neglected her duties to the public, is it plausible her political duty to the prime minister didn’t lead her to inquire? “Please god, let it be Cunliffe!” she would surely have thought.

Mr Woodhouse’s story is just as odd. When briefed by Mr Bush after the election, we’re told he too ignored his public and political duties to inquire further.

Perhaps even more incredible is Mr Eagleson’s claim that, when he was contacted on November 26 by Labour’s chief of staff Matt McCarten about the Sabin situation – which he says he already knew about from others – he waited until the following week to mention it to the prime minister, who remained, he claims, utterly ignorant until December 1.

“Prime Minister,” the Beehive says Mr Eagleson or his underlings never said, “we have a problem. We’ve just been called by the opposition, which has some serious dirt on Sabin, and it’s all around town because we’ve heard about it from others a while ago. You might be asked questions about it as soon as today.”

Are such calls from the opposition really so routine they don’t get escalated?

The risk for Mr Key is that if the full Sabin story becomes known in a week, a month, six months or a year, it will look as if his government covered it up not just through a general election campaign but then again through the by-election as well. The clock keeps ticking.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Bad night for everyone

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Saw this on Facebook, apparently also since deleted

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

No retrial for Teina Pora :toot:

There was a question of whether they might go back to Malcolm Rewa for a third time although he' already in preventative detention so I'm not sure what else can be done to him apart from throwing away the key for his cell. However IANAL so someone else might be able to comment on that.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11411722

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

05:30, in context JK is hassling the Aussies, saying the NZ economy is about to overtake them:
http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/story/john-key-shouts-today-show-trip-to-nz/vp-AAabht6

Mentioned here:
http://www.radiolive.co.nz/VIDEO-John-Key-to-Australian-media-Were-the-Saudi-Arabia-of-Australasia/tabid/615/articleID/77984/Default.aspx

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 30, 2015

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Bob Jones: All that red tape's tying us in knots. Think of what we’d achieve if we didn’t have so many regulations and tradesmen didn’t have cellphones.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11425436

Not mentioned, the 5 (or more?) workers who died during construction of the Empire State building.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Well he got you two talking

I know his column exists for the same reason that Garth George used to have a column. He's a vile old racist and everything he says makes readers angry. It's just that he's so very good at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dusty posted:

I think you meant to write "greatest living New Zealander"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSr93HMUKCk

I take it all back, Garth George is everyone's racist old grandfather, Bob Jones is the best character actor I've seen in New Zealand.

• Locked thread